A few beginner questions

Soldato
As Mike says, tools and setup are worth getting - a funnel, a squirty fill bottle helps, tube cutter, etc

Is it not possible to find that pump with the reservoir tube you want? Will probably save a few pounds. I can see the 140 is available in RGB too: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-9jx-ek.html

Get one or two more fittings than you need in case you have to adapt plans. For the same reason I'd consider a couple of 90° adapters and maybe some 45°s.

For the drain, you'll need: ball valve, maybe a splitter/T-block (unless you've a spare port on the reservoir at the bottom), plus a spare fitting and tubing to attach to the ball valve when draining. Also grab a couple of end caps to seal the valve when not in use.

What I would suggest is plan and draw out your loop. Even use Paint/a photo of the case to start with. I went through several drawings before ordering parts. Then I fitted all the main components (blocks, pump, radiators) and planned the tube routing. This let me swap a radiator around, and decide which fittings to use where while measuring the real thing.

Soldato
Guys I've put together my first shopping list using EK parts for now. I used their configurator to some extent.

I'll try to purchase from Overclockers anything I can.

https://imgur.com/a/hjegQgp

I massively appreciate you giving me some tips on this.

1. First off anything that wont fit?
2. Anything missing?
3. Anything costing way too much and would be better using an alternative manufacturer?

I wanted a longer tube from my pump, I just think they look better.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers

Ricky

all much of a muchness when it comes to
Thanks for other tips too.

quick-disconnects, I would not build without them. I use koolance ones exclusively. Just be careful with the ID/OD.

I have gone 6mm ID for my latest outing.

Soldato
All angled fittings should be the swivel type. Otherwise they will probably not point where you want them to.

Before buying the rads plan where they will go and where the tubing will go. Crossflow rads (ports at opposite ends rather both at one end) *can* simplify the tube routing.

Think about the top rad having a spare port pointing upwards. Fill-ports and therefore top-up/bleed ports can really help.

Soldato
Makes logical sense but I would try and do a drawing with the ports on each component laid out realistically. This will highlight any issues like short runs, funny corners, overlaps.

I'd also question the drain placement - the return to the reservoir may not be ideal if it's not placed well. Certainly if it's in the cap, it will be near impossible to use.

That said, my drain is on a second return inlet in the base of my res :)

Associate
OP
Thanks mate.

I know someone mentioned getting some 90 / 45 fittings. I've just seen this build that I like. I was just wondering what fittings are actually being used to create the bend that I've highlighted?

https://imgur.com/a/kRuKkPP

Also, if I but my rads from EK will they need flushing before use?

Thanks

Ricky

Soldato
Use an image of the case with the side off and do your loop drawing on that.

Going from the GPU to the top rad and then to the CPU and then to the front rad will make your runs shorter.

e.g. #2666

If you want to go cpu-cpu-top rad, consider getting a crossflow rad for the top so the rad inlet is at the rear but the outlet is at the front of the case.

e.g.#2660 (really dark pic, sorry but it shows - if you look carefully - the top rad being a crossflow to reduce tubing runs to a minimum.

Associate
OP
Guys, most of my gear has now arrived. I have EK rads. Do these need flushing before use? and if so what with? just distilled water or something like the Mayhems Blitz kit?

Ps
Thanks for posting those photos Mike I've found them very useful.

Soldato
I've never worried about magic flushing kits, I still have an old Eheim aquarium pump that can be submerged in water without a problem so I fill a bath, connect the pump to the rad and the rad back to the bath, run the pump for a while. Pumping any water thru the rad with a big enough reservoir for the crap to settle out will be fine. You could even connect the rad to a garden hose

Associate
OP
Evening guys.

I'm going to be attempting my build this weekend. I've just been thinking though and sorry if this is a silly question but where do I plug in my fans? I have two 360 rads so x6 fans in total but I do have two splitters so I just have two to plug into my motherboard.

Would I just plug one into the cpu header on the mobo? what about the second?

I've planned the build and everything else I'm fairly sure of.

Cheers guys

Back
Top Bottom