• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770k upgraders?

Associate
Are there any recent 3770k upgraders on here? If so what did you upgrade to and what are your thoughts, I am seeing a lot of comments from people that seem underwhelmed be their recent zen upgrades.

Associate
3770 non k to 3900x and very happy with the Project Cars 2 improvement in VR. Still running a 1080p but with details turned down. The stuttering and dropped frames I was experiencing before have vanished.

Soldato
3770K > 1700X > 8700K

The current Zen2 on paper should be brilliant but there are a lot of early adopter problems going around which need to be ironed out before I'd consider making the jump.

Associate
3770K to 3900X. As stated above, still a few niggles with BIOS issues which will be ironed out over time. Overall happy with upgrade, noticeably higher frame rates and overall games do generally feel smoother, although still get the odd hitch here or there. CPU should last me another 5-6 years, unless the CPU landscape changes massively within the next couple of years.

Soldato
3770K to 3900X. As stated above, still a few niggles with BIOS issues which will be ironed out over time. Overall happy with upgrade, noticeably higher frame rates and overall games do generally feel smoother, although still get the odd hitch here or there. CPU should last me another 5-6 years, unless the CPU landscape changes massively within the next couple of years.

Zen2 has been a "Tic" upgrade.
I'm looking forward to the "Toc"

Soldato
3770k to 3800X with 1080ti. Dont need to measure the performance, you experience it. Much smoother framerates. In afterburner, on 3770k the GPU usage would hit 100% but a much more variable usage graph in direct relation to GPU core frequency. On 3800X the GPU usage graph is almost flat now, NEVER going below 98% in games and the variance is between 2025Mhz and 2050Mhz. Much smoother gaming experience with less stutter between frametimes. Even I was surprised that I could 'feel' the performance upgrade and thought it would only be measurable. Very pleased.

Soldato
Ryzen 3000 series seems great but other than the 3600 they're all overpriced atm, 3900x is way over RRP if you find stock and the 3700x has also gone up around 7.5%.

Man of Honour
I've upgraded from the 3770k @ 4.5 to a 3700x
On paper the upgrade was not very significant, however my experience is that it is much smoother.
I suspect it's because the spread of frametimes is a much tighter curve on the 3700x than the 3770k, hence why it feels smoother.

Associate
Upgraded from a 3770k @ 4.3ghz to a 3700x.

Using a 3440x1440 ultrawide - and graphics scores in benchmarks such as 3dmark stayed the same for high res due to being GPU limited. Does seem smoother though. Will vary a lot in games though, depending on design.

Didn't upgrade just for games though. Video encoding speeds jumped massively, able to run more apps etc.

It's not just the cpu update though, but the platform. Better support for USB3+ (I have a Rift) and more connectors, NVME M2 main drive, plenty of sata 3 etc. Been a few improvements in platform over the 7 years since I bought the 3770k and Z77 board.

It was quite an outlay though even when only getting a 3700x. Feel it was worth it for me though, and if I do need more CPU power can get the 3950x later.

Associate
OP
Hmm seems to be more an improved experience than a quantum leap, having said that nvme and other recent tech improvements seem to have done a lot to improving performance. There do seem to be some early adopter issues with Zen 2, which will I am sure be ironed out with bios updates. I do not see anything from Intel worth waiting for, and 9900k is a dead end. Perhaps it is wise to wait little and see how things look nearer to black Friday, maybe supply issues will be resolved and prices stabilised.

Soldato
3770k @ 4.1 to 3800x. Very happy with the upgrade.
My rig is primarily for sim driving in Project Cars 2 in VR Using the same 1080ti that I pulled from the 3770k rig, I have turned up just about every graphics setting and it holds 90fps a lot more consistently than the 3770k rig did.

Associate
I have just had delivered a 3900X and ROG Hero viii X570 motherboard. Currently looking for ddr4 to finish my upgrade off from my 3770k...

Associate
OP
Those that have updated, have you had any of the issues described in other threads eg slow booting, wrong ram speeds? Just can't bring myself to upgrade of I am facing a barrage of issues. I understand they may well be ironed out, but would have expected AMD to be all over the issues trying to fix motherboard issues etc. Last time I build a system it was an Intel based setup for a friend and there were none of these issues.

Associate
Those that have updated, have you had any of the issues described in other threads eg slow booting, wrong ram speeds? Just can't bring myself to upgrade of I am facing a barrage of issues. I understand they may well be ironed out, but would have expected AMD to be all over the issues trying to fix motherboard issues etc. Last time I build a system it was an Intel based setup for a friend and there were none of these issues.

I will be building mine this weekend or next so can’t answer this just now but once I do will reply here

Soldato
The "high" max voltage thing is the only thing I am seeing with my MSI Carbon / 3800x.
**Idle is fine**, but individuals cores do shoot up around 1.4x volts often when doing lightly threaded stuff. The highest I have ever seen is 1.5 and that was in the "max" column of HWInfo. I don't think it has held that voltage for any period of time and not long enough for me to see it as a current (meaning happening right now) voltage.

AMD says it's normal though, so I guess time will tell.

But then, my max boost clock of 4.5ghz is in the same boat. HWinfo says it "happened" in the max column at some point but rarely when I am actually watching it. (Usually after gaming for a while, 4.5 will show up in the max column for a couple cores)

Back
Top Bottom