Assassin's Creed Origins

Soldato
You can do it any way you want but in general in the game, you want to avoid taking on groups of people really. If you go at night, you may find he's asleep and so you can creep over the rooftops to get at him in his bed, avoiding a lot of the guards. They're also much slower than you so my preferred tactic for those sort of areas is to lure a few in, run away across the rooftops and then shoot them with arrows from a distance. Get yourself a decent bow and it's much easier. You don't need to empty the compound of everyone though by any means. You do need to get next to the body and 'confirm the kill' which takes a couple of seconds, so you'll not manage that if there are guards hanging around his body, you'll need to kill them.

Firebombs and sleep darts are your friends in this game, the sleep darts especially, they'll put near enough anyone to sleep leaving you an easy kill.

Thanks, changing to night time made a big difference. I neglected to remember that function even though it was like my first unlock!

Have proceeded on to the first main area I think. Still not grabbed me get but I'll give it some more time in this area

Associate
Picked this nup on my PS4 a while back. The Mrs is away for the week so I've been able to have a proper bash at it. I'm loving it so far. Cleared out a camp last night minus one guy who tried to go and set the warning light thing - I let him try as I'd set a trap there (for the first time).
LOL when it exploded in his face

I keep getting distracted. Casually going along and some woman is being attacked by a hippo haha!

Soldato
Picked this nup on my PS4 a while back. The Mrs is away for the week so I've been able to have a proper bash at it. I'm loving it so far. Cleared out a camp last night minus one guy who tried to go and set the warning light thing - I let him try as I'd set a trap there (for the first time).
LOL when it exploded in his face

I keep getting distracted. Casually going along and some woman is being attacked by a hippo haha!

You'll get distracted loads on this, always something happening, or someone wanting help, loves this game, it's the first AC game I got 1000g on, my even play again and do the plat for the PS4

Soldato
Yeah Odyssey was a bigger upgrade. Not bothered though the extra frames are nice and I didn’t have an HDR TV when I played it first time around. Bayek is a great character so I’m looking forward to it.

Soldato
Playing this again now its on gamepass with 60fps. Such a joy to play, the environment is nice and the atmosphere is good too. I always found Valhalla a little too sterile even though it was graphically nice and the mechanics where better due to being the newer game.

Soldato
Since this got added to gamepass I revisited it and I'm hooked. I'd played it on pc in past and got bored but something has clicked and I'm loving being sat on sofa just exploring and doing quests. Stunning game really.

Associate
Finally got to play during the free weekend. It's just not clicking with me. Looks like I was right to stop at Syndicate. I get that AC combat is easy and needed to evolve, but it feels like that came at the expense of parkour. It's kind of just there, while they steal Dark Souls mechanics. You can't manually jump or sprint, and the Dark Souls bumper controls for combat need getting used to.

I've only just started. Finished the tutorials and now roaming free, so I haven't even reached the point where the leveling system might make combat a chore. Like takedowns and headshots causing minimal damage because of an arbitrary level. Also, I can knock out guys silently, but finishing them off with weapons makes noise that attracts enemies, that seem to teleport in from nowhere? Maybe it gets better, and I don't have access to the DLC weapons yet, which should make the opening levels trivial. But it really does feel like AC in name only.

Soldato
It was a big departure from Unity/Syndicate and earlier versions where wall climbing was actually more difficult. I replayed Unity after completing Valhalla and found the combat a little cumbersome but the clmbing seemed more natural...

Associate
Unity added parlour up/down to take care of the dreaded "climb when you don't want to". When I used to play Genshin, half the trouble was hopping on a wall I didn't want to.

But combat was never AC's strong suit. At least it fulfilled its job as a power fantasy. I haven't played much, but I don't think Origins fits either skill-based or power fantasy.

I assume Odyssey and Valhalla use the same controls/layout?

Soldato
Unity added parlour up/down to take care of the dreaded "climb when you don't want to". When I used to play Genshin, half the trouble was hopping on a wall I didn't want to.

But combat was never AC's strong suit. At least it fulfilled its job as a power fantasy. I haven't played much, but I don't think Origins fits either skill-based or power fantasy.

I assume Odyssey and Valhalla use the same controls/layout?
Yeah they are both an evolution of the new format. I enjoy the old ones and the new. They are more action RPG’s now and I am into that style so it’s ok with me.

Associate
Well, it grew on me, and I bought it. Now leaving the 1st area (Siwa). I'd say it's on par, if not better, than the 26 hours I poured into HZD. Not that that's saying much, HZD might be one of the most overrated games I've played.

Back
Top Bottom