• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ryzen 3700X Overclocking thread***

Caporegime
OP
Have you switched to Windows Balanced power plan?

yep mate not the Ryzen one

This screenie is what was happening before I installed the latest chipset drivers Look at Vcore now its basically hovering around the 1.45v region maybe dropping to 1.39 every now an again.

U4Bz7gc.jpg

This screenie is what was happening after I installed the latest chipset drivers

rAjykKG.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, see lots of different voltages been mentioned. Any idea what the current recommended safe all core oc voltage is? 1.275 ? My 3700x arrived this morn along with some Kryonaut. Looking forward to replacing my total lemon of a 1700.

Soldato
Hi all, see lots of different voltages been mentioned. Any idea what the current recommended safe all core oc voltage is? 1.275 ? My 3700x arrived this morn along with some Kryonaut. Looking forward to replacing my total lemon of a 1700.
"According to FIT, the safe voltage levels for the silicon are around 1.325V in high-current loads and up to 1.47V in low-current loads (i.e ST)" Personally I don't think gaming is a high-current load so I am comfortable running my all core OC at 1.375v as outside of stress testing and the very occasional batch of video rendering the CPU is never pushed that hard. I don't think I'd want to go any higher though.

Soldato

Recommended by whom? The Stilt over at OCN mentioned FIT of 1.325v but that's speculation from him as to whether it's safe or not for prolonged load. There is no official "safe" static voltage, AMD have only mentioned dynamic voltages hitting upto 1.3v under heavy load as "perfectly okay".

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also

Worth noting The Stilt's 3700X degraded after hitting TjMax a few times at 1.33v whilst being stressed hard.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother using a static voltage or overclocking at all. If I were tempted, I'd stick to 1.32v absolute max. But if you do, proceed with caution and remember that AMD have not given advice on a safe static voltage.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the info and the links. Think i'll initially set it as auto and test it to see how it behaves voltage and performance wise before making any adjustments. Just feels strange setting auto in the bios as opposed to tweaking and manually dialing in settings. Hopefully I'll at least get my lpx hynix memory at 3200 now. No matter what i did couldn't get fully stable passed 2933 on the 1700. Have the week off work from tomorrow so should have plenty of time to play around. Cheers.

Soldato
@Quarktran I know what you mean, it feels wrong leaving an unlocked chip on auto voltage. The thing is, unlocked chip in the Ryzen line up is a bit of a misnomer as you can't really overclock them anyway. They might as well be locked chips as far as core speed goes.

I got better gains by pushing the FCLK+memory.

Associate
Quick update & Query. Chip seams to hit 4.27 on two cores with light load. With load / benchies being run all cores hitting 3.98. The two cores boosting to 4.27 though are not marked as the best cores in master ryzen which i find odd. But the 2nd best in each ccx (circle beside them in master ryzen). As a quick dirty test I disabled all cores apart from the two fastest cores (stars beside them) and ran some tests and these two were hitting 4.39. Anyone else see similar behaviour? Fastest cores being parked and slower cores being assigned work? Will test all the cores individually tomorrow but suspect I have at least one core which will just do 4ghz if thats what I'm seeing under load.. Was doing this without PBO being enabled and settings (apart from Ram) on auto.
Core voltage is also hitting 1.48 which seams high. Wasn't expecting too much as literally just dropped this into a b350m to tide me over till some decent matx boards were out and see how the 3950x is but still feels a bit mehh overall. Still an improvement on the 1700. But doesnt feel like my itchy tech upgrade fever has been scratched at all.

Soldato
Quick update & Query. Chip seams to hit 4.27 on two cores with light load. With load / benchies being run all cores hitting 3.98. The two cores boosting to 4.27 though are not marked as the best cores in master ryzen which i find odd. But the 2nd best in each ccx (circle beside them in master ryzen). As a quick dirty test I disabled all cores apart from the two fastest cores (stars beside them) and ran some tests and these two were hitting 4.39. Anyone else see similar behaviour? Fastest cores being parked and slower cores being assigned work? Will test all the cores individually tomorrow but suspect I have at least one core which will just do 4ghz if thats what I'm seeing under load.. Was doing this without PBO being enabled and settings (apart from Ram) on auto.
Core voltage is also hitting 1.48 which seams high. Wasn't expecting too much as literally just dropped this into a b350m to tide me over till some decent matx boards were out and see how the 3950x is but still feels a bit mehh overall. Still an improvement on the 1700. But doesnt feel like my itchy tech upgrade fever has been scratched at all.

I've got that. Before I started changing chip set drivers and BIOS's, I saw +4.5Ghz on 6 of my 8 cores. But the one RM identified as fastest chip, NEVER has once reached advertised max boost. Not complaining. Never in HWINFO, EVER seen my CPU draw more than 60W either. Go figure, on a cheapa55 ASRock Phantom gaming 4. I've tried loads of things to get my CPU to draw more than 65W. But recently, only get 3 cores boosting to 4.5 since BIOS and chipset updates.

Still very pleased with my Zen 2 purchase, hopefully AMD will release BIOS and AGESA updates that not only give confidence in measurements across 3rd party software, but also some discernible perf increase worthy of the price difference in the stack.

Until then, leave it alone and enjoy, the performance even in it's present state, is still dang good.

Associate
I've got that. Before I started changing chip set drivers and BIOS's, I saw +4.5Ghz on 6 of my 8 cores. But the one RM identified as fastest chip, NEVER has once reached advertised max boost. Not complaining. Never in HWINFO, EVER seen my CPU draw more than 60W either. Go figure, on a cheapa55 ASRock Phantom gaming 4. I've tried loads of things to get my CPU to draw more than 65W. But recently, only get 3 cores boosting to 4.5 since BIOS and chipset updates.

Still very pleased with my Zen 2 purchase, hopefully AMD will release BIOS and AGESA updates that not only give confidence in measurements across 3rd party software, but also some discernible perf increase worthy of the price difference in the stack.

Until then, leave it alone and enjoy, the performance even in it's present state, is still dang good.

Yeah your right. Had a quick tinker testing this morning enabling / disabling cores and all of them seam to hit 4.3+Ghz. So cant complain. Thought one might be a duffer which was annoying me but would appear not to be the case. Not gonna spend anymore time on it. Happy enough for the mo. Time to get some game time in and make the most of my week off :)

Associate
Hmm, is this the overclocking thread or the whine about auto-OC not working thread?

One of the 3700X's I setup OC'd to 4.5GHz on CCX0 and 4.4GHz on CCX1 with daily's (on stock cooler) of 4.425GHz and 4.225GHz until AIO arrives.

The other was sitting on 90C at 3.6GHz the entire time and has been RMA'd...

Associate
UPDATE

I disabled Icue and after I updated the AMD chipset drivers...No change in vcore for me...1.4 v for me mostly...This is annoying me lol

I paid good money for this chip and I want it to work how it should.

I have the same issue. Luckily (or unluckily) the GB easytune seems to sort out the problem. Just setting it to default fixes the issue. Sounds like it might be a MB issue or bios issue in someway.

Caporegime
Hmm, is this the overclocking thread or the whine about auto-OC not working thread?

One of the 3700X's I setup OC'd to 4.5GHz on CCX0 and 4.4GHz on CCX1 with daily's (on stock cooler) of 4.425GHz and 4.225GHz until AIO arrives.

The other was sitting on 90C at 3.6GHz the entire time and has been RMA'd...

What do you use to clock each CCX seperately?

Associate
Ryzen Master was working fine for that. Though the owner of the system and myself worked out there's a problem with RM and Nvidia's OpenGL driver for some reason, which is causing a conflict on his system. So we switched the OC to 4.3GHz All core in the BIOS until there's a fix for RM/Nvidia's ****** drivers.

Back
Top Bottom