running ethernet cable

Associate
Hi so networking my mothers house and only way to do it is drop the cable down trunking in the wall that has either the tv coax or the phone cables, any problems with either ?
Thanks

Caporegime
Use the phone cable to pull the network cable in if you’re struggling for room. There’s very little need for phone sockets in a house now, especially as voice service moves over to IP and phones plug into the back of the router.

Soldato
haha. 100% needed it in our last house. 1900s build with thick walls, but would have no use for it in a modern build. I don't tend to game anymore either so don't need uber low pings.

Soldato
or Ethernet amirite:p

I have the fastest currently available WLAN access points installed at home. So fast they need a 10GbE connection to supply them and they’re still slower for file transfers than a 1GbE wired LAN connection. Until they bring out a full duplex radio system for WLAN, wired LAN has to be the way to go. I always wire anything that has an Ethernet port. Not just for speed but to keep the WLAN channels as empty as possible. WLAN is still shockingly bad compared to wired Ethernet. So, no, youarenotrite.

Associate
I hate poxy wireless, always use Ethernet in the house
Completely agree, if it's a mobile device (laptop, phone, etc.) then Wi-Fi, if it's in a fixed position then give it a wired connection. I don't get the point of wireless CCTV cameras, they still need power running to them, might as well be over Ethernet using PoE.

Soldato
Completely agree, if it's a mobile device (laptop, phone, etc.) then Wi-Fi, if it's in a fixed position then give it a wired connection. I don't get the point of wireless CCTV cameras, they still need power running to them, might as well be over Ethernet using PoE.

I don't think anyone was disputing this. I think the majority of us don't have a fixed place PC or a server at home. Perhaps not on an overclocking forum, but in general:p

Remember I am talking about running Ethernet through the house to dedicated wall sockets - not just connecting a 1 metre cat 5 cable from a PC to a router.

Associate
I don't think anyone was disputing this. I think the majority of us don't have a fixed place PC or a server at home. Perhaps not on an overclocking forum, but in general:p

Remember I am talking about running Ethernet through the house to dedicated wall sockets - not just connecting a 1 metre cat 5 cable from a PC to a router.
I know, I joined in with the banter of the previous posts.

My running of Ethernet advice based on when I ran Cat5e throughout the house is make sure you get advertised copper cables not CCA, I've always used Excel cable in the past. I managed to get quite a good deal on a couple of part boxes on an eBay auction which proved sufficient, one of the 305m boxes still contained 250m, the second was around 150m, certainly gave me enough Ethernet to fill the house with a mass of purple cable runs. If I had to run cables again I'd use Cat6, 5 was all realistically viable 12 years ago, so my recommendation is go for Cat6 as to some extent it future proofs your network setup for the disputed (on here) 10g rollout although 5 would be sufficient for short runs. Sockets and patch panels I've found excellent recently as it has helped fault finding when a socket module needed replacing, allowed me to search for and identify the fault, keeps things far neater too particularly where the patch panel and cabinet is. Not sure what Cat6 modules, crimp tools and patch cables are available now, I was new to running cables all that time ago so I just went for the cheapest Cat5 variants I could find, still it gives me good 120MB/Sec across the network.

Soldato

It doesn’t matter if your fixed device is an X-box, PlayStation, Sky box, IP TV, multi-room speaker - whatever - it should be wired in. A current wireless access point (802.11AX is different) only talks to one client at a time. So every time you add a wireless device it literally doubles the access time/halves the data rate to everything else. And everything is constantly chatty because the access point has to keep in touch with all potential clients.

Looking at my living room, I have a TV, Sky box, IP TV box, games console, 6 Sonos speakers and a blue-ray player all cabled into the network. All of that could be on the WLAN but imagine the wireless traffic if I was watching a movie. And streaming high quality video over WLAN from a media server is every bit as bad as heavy file transfers.

Running Ethernet to sockets throughout your home is without a doubt one of the best things you can do if for no other reason than it cleans up the airwaves for devices that don’t have a LAN port.

Soldato
I am currently running a copper backbone up my stairs into a cupboard, needing at least 5 prob 6 gigabit connections to it for my servers. Having to get creative with hiding the cat 5 under the carpet.

Stairs are a proper nightmare. I did a retrofit into a house and we ran a two pairs of optical fibre along the skirting boards, over the door frames and up the stairs (also on the skirting boards). We buried it a seam of mastic. You’d literally never know it was there. Switches with SFP+ connectors at either end gave us a good 20 gigabits of bandwidth to move stuff about. And if we need more we could go to 40Gbit or event 100Gbit transceivers on the same optical cable.

Back
Top Bottom