• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
AAA Forgot to post few days ago If You are on Asus AB or ABB Bios and using HWinfo +other monitoring software. Bug can make CPU and AIO stop operating at all and you end up with overheating reboot.

Mumak
HWiNFO Author:

ASUS re-introduced this issue in latest BIOSes. WMI interface was originally developed to solve problems with concurrent access to the buggy SIO chip (IT8665) and that worked well for some time. But after switching the AGESA base from PinnaclePI to ComboPI it looks like the WMI implementation on BIOS side isn't working well.
Disabling use of the WMI interface by putting AsusWMI=0 at the end of HWiNFO64.INI file might help to mitigate the problem.

Caporegime
Bit disappointed with my 3600x, no matter what BIOS config/power plan I try it won't boost past 4.25 on any core by itself regardless of single/multi core load.

PBO seems to basically do nothing and the only way I can get to 4.25 is by using 'game mode' in the BIOS. I might be on an x470 but AMD says they should perform the same across all chipsets, perhaps this will be fixed with a BIOS update?

I could just manually clock it to 4.4 but I bought the X to specifically not have to manually clock it, plus the auto voltage is ramping the voltage up above 1.5 :eek:

Soldato
Bit disappointed with my 3600x, no matter what BIOS config/power plan I try it won't boost past 4.25 by itself regardless of single/multi core load.

PBO seems to basically do nothing and the only way I can get to 4.25 is by using 'game mode' in the BIOS. I might be on an x470 but AMD says they should perform the same across all chipsets, perhaps this will be fixed with a BIOS update?

Shamino from ASUS said:
every new bios i get asked the boost question all over again, i have not tested a newer version of AGESA that changes the current state of 1003 boost, not even 1004. if i do know of changes, i will specifically state this. They were being too aggressive with the boost previously, the current boost behavior is more in line with their confidence in long term reliability and i have not heard of any changes to this stance, tho i have heard of a 'more customizable' version in the future.

Source: https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...-vi-overclocking-thread-855.html#post28099496

AMD are going to end up quite some flack from this.

edit: Though @McBain If you're not seeing anywhere near the advertised boost speeds, you may be experiencing issues outside of AGESA.

Caporegime
Soldato
AMD always got less criticism due to being the underdog in the race but I am hoping consumers will begin to be more outraged by this. False advertising and somewhat botched launched.

AMD needs to come clean on false advertising of boost clocks or fix the AGESA but I think at this point we all realise that there is nothing to fix, the chips are at their absolute limit and I wonder what is the lifetime of these cpus. One of the reviewers actually bricked his during the review process, whilst overclocking I believe.

Starting to think that 9900k would have been a better choice than 3700x, especially since I went with a x570 board to avoid all the issues of previous gen compatibility, so price difference wouldn't have been all that much (9900k is often selling with heay discount).

Soldato
AMD should get flack for it tbh.
indeed so, consumers with issues should be returning their products en masse. if that were happening, retailers would be giving AMD hell and/or pulling their products until they were of satisfactory quality. but the pc industry is a strange fish in that a lot of people end up happy to tinker with their product to try and get it to where it should be (out of the box) - used to be you tinkered to get extra 'oomph' to what was advertised, now you have to tinker, in some instances just to get the damn product to work! i can't think of any other consumer product like it, where it's sold as being able to do 'x' but only if the end user is prepared to some ground work in. could you imagine buying a mobile phone advertised as having a 16mp camera but only if the user tinkers with it or whatever to get it to work at that rating.......or a car, or tv? there would be uproar, rma's galore and trading standards would be getting hammered.

Caporegime
indeed so, consumers with issues should be returning their products en masse. if that were happening, retailers would be giving AMD hell and/or pulling their products until they were of satisfactory quality. but the pc industry is a strange fish in that a lot of people end up happy to tinker with their product to try and get it to where it should be (out of the box) - used to be you tinkered to get extra 'oomph' to what was advertised, now you have to tinker, in some instances just to get the damn product to work! i can't think of any other consumer product like it, where it's sold as being able to do 'x' but only if the end user is prepared to some ground work in. could you imagine buying a mobile phone advertised as having a 16mp camera but only if the user tinkers with it or whatever to get it to work at that rating.......or a car, or tv? there would be uproar, rma's galore and trading standards would be getting hammered.

Very true, this isn't the first time Ryzen has had problems either I'm sure we all remember the Gen 1 memory compatibility issues.

Associate
I am happy with the performance of the 3600 at stock for the wife. So happy that I have just bought a 3600 and a x570 aorus pro mobo for myself - obviously I will OC mine a bit - I will have to see what I get but I will probably be happy with 4.2 across all cores. With that extra cache it was a bargain at £189.

Permabanned
Very true, this isn't the first time Ryzen has had problems either I'm sure we all remember the Gen 1 memory compatibility issues.

Ryzen and Ryzen + were bitches for memory. Also my 2700X doesn't boost to advertised speeds unless I overclock.

They are still good CPU's but I feel AMD have been a bit underhand with the advertised boost speeds.

Associate
Ryzen and Ryzen + were bitches for memory. Also my 2700X doesn't boost to advertised speeds unless I overclock.

They are still good CPU's but I feel AMD have been a bit underhand with the advertised boost speeds.
My 3900X boosted to its advertised speed out of the box. Since I updated the BIOS and therefore AGESA, it's ~200MHz short. PBO makes no difference either. In my experience, it's most definitely AGESA related.

My 3900X boosted to its advertised speed out of the box. Since I updated the BIOS and therefore AGESA, it's ~200MHz short. PBO makes no difference either. In my experience, it's most definitely AGESA related.
I was getting 4.375GHz on the release BIOS, but that dropped to 4.275GHz on the latest BIOS.
That being said, it will now go to 4.325GHz since the 19/08 chipset driver update.

I think it is quite worrying that it won't hold the clocks at all, even when manual overclock shows that none of the in-built limits are being reached.

Permabanned
AMD always got less criticism due to being the underdog in the race but I am hoping consumers will begin to be more outraged by this. False advertising and somewhat botched launched.

AMD needs to come clean on false advertising of boost clocks or fix the AGESA but I think at this point we all realise that there is nothing to fix, the chips are at their absolute limit and I wonder what is the lifetime of these cpus. One of the reviewers actually bricked his during the review process, whilst overclocking I believe.

Starting to think that 9900k would have been a better choice than 3700x, especially since I went with a x570 board to avoid all the issues of previous gen compatibility, so price difference wouldn't have been all that much (9900k is often selling with heay discount).
As I said Yesterday I'w been on ryzen sicne preorder. And there are problems that ware fixed and broken depending on month of year. One Agesa they fix 1 thing other they brake it but fix different thing.

Boost problems been there in some form for over 3 years now :D thats why i dont do AUTO overclocking ect.

Associate

I recently enabled cool'n'quiet in my bios to try and lower my idle voltages now my 3700X (at stock no PBO) will idle at 0.9v and frequently boosts to 4.45 over multiple cores during games or single core benchmarks. If I disable CnQ my idle stays at 1.45-1.50v and only boosts to 4.35. Dunno if this is something others have tried or discovered.

Soldato
I swapped my memory out for my other 2 sticks and ran HCI memtest again making sure to test most of the memory, all i used in that time was the edge browser and this happened

IMG-20190823-135433.jpg

I swapped out those sticks back to the original ones, got to over 100% and it found an error on those as well, but it blue screened to a page fault error right after.

If all the RAM has gone bad the same time my x99 motherboard went bad, I never would have guessed it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom