• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Games, how many cores do you need?

Soldato
That edge comes with huge penalties. The difference is barley noticeable past looking at benchmarking data presented in pie charts and even then in very specific scenarios.
I know hence the wink

@humbug I mentioned the 9900k as the ‘top end’ chip because you seem concerned about micro stutter as well as max fps, so I thought you may as well have the ‘best’ chip and hang every thing else.

Personally I’m waiting for the 3900x to become readily available or even the 3950x. I’m not going to become a beta tester though and will happily wait 6-12 months for the glitches to get ironed out.

Having the fastest 2700x score on this boards timespy bench I’m not desperate to upgrade just yet....*

* ok I am!

Permabanned
Because most games have been designed for same old quad cores leaving hexa core enough resoures to run all other background stuff besides game without problems.
But the moment game is designed to want six cores for itself, hex core CPU will run into hiccups compared to some amount slower octa core.

Next-gen consoles will fast give game developers big enough hardware base to invent tougher uses for higher number of cores than four.
Microsoft and Sony might even sponsor some games to be coded for that fast after release for getting people to buy new consoles.
Heck, even average gaming PC might be put into shame, if developers can squeeze most available performance out fast.
At least game developers don't need to learn completely new programming, like what PS3's CPU demanded.

I think AMD effectively shot itself in both the feet by refusing to offer 12-core CPUs this generation.
We will have to wait for better times with Ryzen 4000.

Soldato
i had a few spare parts left over and needed a CPU, i managed to pick up a R3 1200 fror £50.00 i was amazed at how well it performed.

Yeah that are good processors, I had one before and I took delivery of another yesterday, certainly no patch on the 2600 ha, but I just got rid of an i3 6100, that’s a good chip for a dual core, in fairness I’ve had certain celerons that have been pretty decent, as I said, it depends on what you need it for, I do and don’t need the 2600 I own, but it is nice to have more than 4 cores.

Permabanned
The 3900X is 12 core 24 threads

3950X will be 16 Core 32 threads

:confused: So they 12core 3900X I have under my desk doesn't count?

I said in plural. I meant many 12-core models, not a single, top-of-the line, heavily overpriced, out-of-stock enthusiasts' part.

It should be interesting to give the consumers more cores and make the developers code some raytracing running on them.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I said in plural. I meant many 12-core models, not a single, top-of-the line, heavily overpriced, out-of-stock enthusiasts' part.

It should be interesting to give the consumers more cores and make the developers code some raytracing running on them.

sorry but do you acctully read what you write? Amd have brought out 12 cores at the same price as a 8 core intel 9900k now you want 12 cores at what price point? Has intel brought out a 12 core part for less then 1k? amd allrewady give you double the threads at i5 i7 range and price and a 12 core 24thread vs 8/16 thread intel at the top end of the main stream platform.

amd have allreadsy pushed the core copunt up with 1st gen ryzen at resonable prices and dfone the same with 3000 series also you can not expect amd to give away the processors and now we wait for intel reponse to the 3000 series and lets see how many cores they give you for 500 pounds shall we? or even if they open up hyperthreading to i5 and i7 to match amd?

Soldato

I'm sure I've said this before. You cannot be taken seriously by claiming those two things at the same time. Or even either separately because the other is still true.

How can AMD possibly be suffering or screwing up with a queue of customers entirely willing to pay what it costs to get the highest core count on mainstream boards.

There is zero competition at that price for the multicore performance.

The only reason demand for the 12 core will drop off is because the 16 core is coming soon and itself will become the new best thing for multithreaded work using mainstream boards. Very likely again with nothing comparable at that price.

Soldato
I'm sure I've said this before. You cannot be taken seriously by claiming those two things at the same time. Or even either separately because the other is still true.

How can AMD possibly be suffering or screwing up with a queue of customers entirely willing to pay what it costs to get the highest core count on mainstream boards.

The only reason demand for the 12 core will drop off is because the 16 core is coming soon and itself will become the new best thing for multithreaded work using mainstream boards. Very likely again with nothing comparable at that price.
Precisely this. For doing any multithreaded task the value of the 3900K is frankly brilliant. A not too long ago I would have been paying over £2000 to get similar CPU's that gave me an equivalent score in Cinebench R15.

Associate
My general overview

2C/4T - To start playing old games
4C/4T - Minimum to play modern games
4C/8T - Play all games (may stutter)
6C/6T - Play all games with limit stutter
6C/12T and above - High frame rate with limited stutter

Associate
These core count questions are always loaded. Yes, higher cores will improve your frame rates on a high-end GPU...if you don't challlenge the GPU and game at 1080p. At 1440UW or 4K, it becomes a wash between the core counts and depends on the game itself - online games involving large numbers of players tend to favour more cores.

But if you're spending that kind of cash on a 2080 or 2080Ti to game at a paltry 1080p, you really need to get your head examined and your priorities straightened. Get a better monitor and push the GPU to the limit, not the CPU.

Permabanned

It's illegal price fixing and the thing we must do is to call to deliver AMD to the Court.
Limit the supply artificially in order to justify the gigantic price tag that is out of the reach of 99% of the population.

Soldato
It's illegal price fixing and the thing we must do is to call to deliver AMD to the Court.
Limit the supply artificially in order to justify the gigantic price tag that is out of the reach of 99% of the population.

????

It's cheaper than the alternatives by a lot how can you possibly call it price fixing.

Why are you claiming 99% of the population anything when its a 12 core cpu that no one needs but a relatively tiny number of people would like for work purposes.

Soldato
While 6 cores might be fine for gaming I like many i presume also have mail,discord and chrome open that the same time at least so i wouldn't buy anything less than 8cores 16 threads in 2019 personally .

Permabanned
????

It's cheaper than the alternatives by a lot how can you possibly call it price fixing.

Why are you claiming 99% of the population anything when its a 12 core cpu that no one needs but a relatively tiny number of people would like for work purposes.

It has a paper price tag, and because of the nature of its supply-demand, you can NOt realistically say if the price tag is justified.
My estimate is that the price is not sustainable in any way if the item was consistently in stock.

What alternatives are you talking about? The HEDT LGA 2066 is NOT an alternative.

i9-9900K is cheaper and 100% in stock.

You can buy Ryzen 9 3900X from select foreign for the UK shops, in which case the price goes higher and probably you will go without the warranty service.

Back
Top Bottom