What "man jobs" have you done today?

Don
I reckon this qualifies as a "man" job

not quite finished but been setting up for our annual 2 day poker game, also have a wood smoker full of ribs and beef :)

don't ask re the Fosters and Strongbow, have to humour the peasants

3rd barrel has a passion fruit hefeweizen on for those with more taste

69495836_10156412066551847_3304135881459236864_o.jpg

regulator board I knocked up

68735258_10156409838771847_3579446141286088704_o.jpg

Soldato
Currently pricing up building an extension to my shed and just using ebay suppliers I could match Tiger sheds prices and have a much more substantial shed that is also pressure treated. I need to get all the junk out of my main shed so I can start using it for woodworking and theres about 8' of wasted space behind it where the garden tapers in at the end. If I could make enough space I could even get a lathe :cool:.

Speaking of lathes, or lack thereof. I made a new handle for my Porlex grinder yesterday as the old plastic handle snapped off years ago and I have been using the 15mm wide bit of plastic that was left on the spindle. So drilled a 15mm hole in some Walnut and then put it in my pillar drill and shaped it with a power file while it was spinning. Turned out ok, but I would have been able to do a much better job with a lath.

bwEmgbQ.jpg.png

Also did a bit of re-shaping on the tenon saw I bought. It's amazing how just rounding a few edges over can make such a difference to the comfort of the handle. This is one reason wooden handled tools will always be better than the modern one size fits all plastic tools.

RAacdeG.jpg.png aT9e3M7.jpg.png

Also the handle on the left used Danish oil and I used Tru-oil after re-shaping it. IMO Danish oil sucks as it looks so bland and flat. This is just with 2 wet sanded coats of Tru-oil as well and it still needs a couple of thin top coats now the grain is mostly filled.

Soldato

not quite finished but been setting up for our annual 2 day poker game, also have a wood smoker full of ribs and beef :)

Your neighbours are gonna love you!

Any outdoor heating? It'll get a bit chilly way into the night!

Soldato
@Rotty , whats the buy in? And will you share the Hefeweizen?

2nd evening of laying slabs. Thats 40 out of 260 so far. My back isn't talking to me but I've developed a interesting relationship with a rubber mallet.
Lining up natural stone with slightly wonky edges is a nightmare. Gave up and went with commentators eye in the end.

Don
@Rotty , whats the buy in? And will you share the Hefeweizen?

2nd evening of laying slabs. Thats 40 out of 260 so far. My back isn't talking to me but I've developed a interesting relationship with a rubber mallet.
Lining up natural stone with slightly wonky edges is a nightmare. Gave up and went with commentators eye in the end.

sounds hard work and deserved beer incoming

buy in is £50, rebuys for 7 hours and a double ( £100 ) add on option

:eek:

re the hefeweizen, I'm a big craft beer fan but most of my choices wouldn't be suitable
we visit Vietnam a lot and my wife loves a passion fruit wheat beer by a local brewer called Pasteur street , she looks after us all weekend so this if for her
I've tried it and its great though

Last edited:
Soldato

regulator board I knocked up

68735258_10156409838771847_3579446141286088704_o.jpg

I see you're also based in Notts, can I just come for a cold beer, saves me having to go to the canalhouse on a bank holiday weekend :p

Not a massive man job but finanly decided to make a start on getting rid of the pebbles and rotovating the whole garden to lay seed. Regretting already tho as there is so much rubble and crap in the clay like soil I think ill struggle getting seed to take.

Soldato
Investigated why my shower runs at 100% hot or cuts out. There's no cold water feeding the mixer. Turns out the builders either turned the supply off near the shower or blocked the pipe somehow. There's only a trickle of cold coming through, but the sink taps are fine. I literally don't know where they've turned it off from so had to tear some wood panelling open to search. Pretty ****ed off.

My concern is that they turned it off under the floor before replacing boards and building the new shower.

Soldato
Is it a ballache applying for a dropped kerb?

Reading the requirements, you have to have already sorted the drive out before applying for the kerb, what if I spend loads doing the drive to then have my application refused? :(

Tea Drinker
Don
Is it a ballache applying for a dropped kerb?

Reading the requirements, you have to have already sorted the drive out before applying for the kerb, what if I spend loads doing the drive to then have my application refused? :(

There are driveway companies that'll do both the application, the drop kerb and the drive, probably be quite a bit more expensive but little to no risk.

Soldato
What does sorting the drive out first mean exactly? Does it mean that you're not allowed to park your car on your lawn? Can you have gravel? Does it have to be some highly engineered 6ft deep solid drive before they will auth a dropped kerb?

Back
Top Bottom