Purchased a small French lightweight hot hatch - Renault Clio 172 Cup & NOW 182 Trophy

Soldato
Shame it's not the full fat.

I had a Clio 172, the AC worked really well.

I loved that car.... I would buy another, but they seem to be the exact same price as I paid for mine 5 years ago... Which is mental.

It absolutely isn't. Other than the Civic Type R EK9 the 172 Cup was the best of the proper hot hatches.

Caporegime
Shame it's not the full fat.

I had a Clio 172, the AC worked really well.

I loved that car.... I would buy another, but they seem to be the exact same price as I paid for mine 5 years ago... Which is mental.

Same, sold mine for £1k, can't find any for that price. Was a bit dumb, but I needed it gone and it saved me money at the time. I would've needed a hire car etc, the guy buying agreed to buy it the hour I left the country. But yeah I should've garaged it.

Soldato
Same, sold mine for £1k, can't find any for that price. Was a bit dumb, but I needed it gone and it saved me money at the time. I would've needed a hire car etc, the guy buying agreed to buy it the hour I left the country. But yeah I should've garaged it.
I sold mind for 2k.
Unfortunately for the new owner its engine went pop a few months later

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Or if you want the rarity and the majority of the 'purity' but with AC you could find one of the few 172 Cups with the climate option, believe it came in briefly when they started offering them in silver as well as the blue.

Can't be many of those about.

Caporegime
What car would that be? Interested as i'm looking to change my heavy 1500+kg Accord for something that weighs less than a ton for both good fuel economy and good performance and i'm struggling to find good contenders that hits that criteria.

Suzuki Ignis Sport but the later Swift Sports are pretty much in the same vein. We have had it for 6 years now and has never let us down. Drives like an old 205 GTi (I once had a brown trouser moment with snap oversteer many years ago) but has ice cool aircon and will do 40MPG no matter how much I thrash it. Even stuck a decent headunit in it so does all the mod cons one needs.

Soldato
Suzuki Ignis Sport but the later Swift Sports are pretty much in the same vein. We have had it for 6 years now and has never let us down. Drives like an old 205 GTi (I once had a brown trouser moment with snap oversteer many years ago) but has ice cool aircon and will do 40MPG no matter how much I thrash it. Even stuck a decent headunit in it so does all the mod cons one needs.

Funny you mention Suzuki, I was looking at the new Swift Sport this morning, figures sound promising, 1.4 turbo, weigh less than a ton (975kg), 140 bhp 170 ft-lb, 0-60 less than 8 seconds, sounds like a promising combonation of performance and mpg.....But i'm looking at around the £4k mark haha, Best i've found so far is a Twingo 1.2Tce with a remap at around 130bhp, again weigh less than a ton so a promising car for not a lot of money but i'm still researching lightweight cars that fit my criteria but i'm struggling to find better haha.

Associate
Funny you mention Suzuki, I was looking at the new Swift Sport this morning, figures sound promising, 1.4 turbo, weigh less than a ton (975kg), 140 bhp 170 ft-lb, 0-60 less than 8 seconds, sounds like a promising combonation of performance and mpg.....But i'm looking at around the £4k mark haha, Best i've found so far is a Twingo 1.2Tce with a remap at around 130bhp, again weigh less than a ton so a promising car for not a lot of money but i'm still researching lightweight cars that fit my criteria but i'm struggling to find better haha.
Get a mk2 swift sport, 136bhp and well in your price range

OcUK Staff
OP
Quick walk around video

Dirty because bad weather, looking for 5-6k, being offered 4.5k so far but not advertised it yet, feel it will fetch 5k plus easily. :)

Associate
For 4K you can buy a proper hot hatch, not a luke warm econobox.

Tidy FN2 Type R easy. EP3 Premier Edition and a grands change easy. Etc.

Yeah I know, but if you read the quote I was replying to you will see OP was discussing a new swift sport specs but £4k budget.

Soldato
For 4K you can buy a proper hot hatch, not a luke warm econobox.

Tidy FN2 Type R easy. EP3 Premier Edition and a grands change easy. Etc.

You can just about get into a third-gen Swift Sport for £4k, although perhaps more like £4.5k – and one of those is far better than an EP3 and more entertaining than an FN2. Substantially lighter than either, too.

A much newer option in many cases as well, and far less expensive to run. Easy to nudge 45mpg out of one.

Not driven a second-gen Swift Sport, which are the far cheaper ones, but I imagine it's a similar story.

OcUK Staff
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom