Spiderman Sony\Marvel "fallout"

Associate
Far from home was a bit dull. Mysterio wasn't a convincing villain, and it seemed like Peter Parker was just crying over Tony Stark.

The original 2 and into the Spiderverse were the best. Spiderman 3 was decent, but its about time Carnage was brought in. Hes always been a much more interesting character design.

Soldato
They have been losing millions for many years now. It nothing short of amazing they are still in business as the rest of Sony must be propping it up.

But they haven't.

Profits at Sony Pictures rose to $489 million for the financial year running to the end of March 2019. That compares with $376 million in the previous financial year.

The pictures division result was achieved despite a fall in revenue. That dropped from $9.13 billion in the preceding financial year to $8.87 billion in the year to March 2019. Analysis showed revenues fractionally down at motion pictures, media networks and television productions.

The Japanese conglomerate, which stretches from electronics to music, film and games entertainment, reported its full-year financial data Friday. Group revenues hit $78.1 billion. Net profits hit $8.26 billion. In local currency terms, income increased by 86% from JPY491 billion to JPY916 billion.

For the current year, Sony is forecasting a further increase in pictures division profits. These are set to rise by 19%, to $580 million, boosted by a return to revenue growth.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/sony-pictures-profits-rise-1203198539/

Associate
from what I understand of venom sony happy with tom hardly portrayal of the character, if Disney/sony new deal goes through and includes venom chances are they keep tom hardly plus bare in mind we don't know yet how the whole more adult theme character will fit in with the family first studio will they do a similar thing as what is currently plan for deadpool release it under fox or some other studio instead of Disney studio.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
News is very hit and miss about this, appears websites and news are just trying to report the deals off but then claiming 'apparently'

https://movieweb.com/spider-man-tom-holland-kevin-feige-response-disney-marvel-sony/

Still hoping they hash out something, but from those figures looks like marvel had to really give up a lot of £££ for spiderman to appear in the marvel universe, you would think sony would be more 50/50 and equal and fair but guess not.

Would be weird with spiderman not being able to refer to the rest of the marvel world and greats surely ?

And Venom not even set in the current spider verse so how does that work out

Associate
News is very hit and miss about this, appears websites and news are just trying to report the deals off but then claiming 'apparently'

https://movieweb.com/spider-man-tom-holland-kevin-feige-response-disney-marvel-sony/

Still hoping they hash out something, but from those figures looks like marvel had to really give up a lot of £££ for spiderman to appear in the marvel universe, you would think sony would be more 50/50 and equal and fair but guess not.

Would be weird with spiderman not being able to refer to the rest of the marvel world and greats surely ?

And Venom not even set in the current spider verse so how does that work out

But from business point of view why would Sony go 50/50? Disney/Marvel gets 100% profit from merchandise which the profit is probably a lot higher than the films, if going by the new deal with films then Sony isn't really making any profit.
It may suck for us fans but from business view I would tell Disney to jog on myself.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
But from business point of view why would Sony go 50/50? Disney/Marvel gets 100% profit from merchandise which the profit is probably a lot higher than the films, if going by the new deal with films then Sony isn't really making any profit.
It may suck for us fans but from business view I would tell Disney to jog on myself.

In that case if Disney were profiting more, not sure why the deal fell through.

Still living in hope a deal is reached its early days, it took them years to has out a deal in the first place so here is hoping they get back in the bed together again.

Associate
I was under the impression that it came out a couple of days later that they didn't ask for 50/50, it was 70/30 but either way putting aside my love for the idea of Marvel having all it's toys back in one box I can understand Sony's reluctance for such a deal.

Regardless of if it's the best film ever or a total trainwreck they've got at least one massive payday in the next Spidey film, probably two given the obvious Venom + Spidey thing.

Associate
Uh-Oh.

Supposedly door is closed full stop on Spider-Man returning to MCU.

So if Sony are working their own Universe, if they screw it up, they'll likely drop Holland/Parker and go with Morales to suit "their" Universe. They won't work on another deal with Disney until they royally screw everything up to a point where at that time Disney won't care about needing Spider-Man. A shame, a damn shame...

So long Tom Holland, you were good whilst it lasted...

Soldato
From Marvel's side it opens up using Capt Marvel as the new "lead" for the franchise in phase 4+ now that spidey, who they'd pinned their hopes on, is no more.

Soldato
From Marvel's side it opens up using Capt Marvel as the new "lead" for the franchise in phase 4+ now that spidey, who they'd pinned their hopes on, is no more.

Captain Marvel is not a good lead. The character in the movies has been somewhat divisive and they can't seem to make her work well in the comics. She also has the Superman problem of being too overpowered, leading to having to up the power of the enemies she faces. Spiderman would have been a better lead, but I can't say I was a massive fan of Holland's Spiderboy version, rather than the more grown up Peter Parker we got for most of the comics run.

MCU did such a good job with the actors and roles for the previous phases, I don't know how they can do that again without the likes of Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johanssen, etc. holding it all together at it's core.

Associate
I thought that was the plan from the start after the original Avengers team end? Captain marvel was the next big lead to take over Captain America/Iron man.
There are talks of all female Avengers movie...I would not be surprised now Disney/MCU is now turning the franchise into a SJW media.
The fact Jane foster/Natalie Portman is going to be "The Mighty Thor"(The original Thor comics he was also called the mighty thor) or Lady Thor is just the start, the Eternals with the "leader" of the group getting gender swap to female aswell.

Sony can go in any direction they want right now with Spiderman, introduce multiverse and people will be happy spidey.

Associate
Associate

Thank gods they came to an agreement, it felt like a core part of Phase 4 had been riped out of it moving forward. Seriously damaging on both sides and I'm glade they could knock heads together on this one!

EDIT: Didn't see the post in the fall out thread until after I posted, mods close if you want.

Associate
Great so Spider-man carries on being mini iron man. The MCU was doing fine without tony clone so i didn't think it was a disaster and I was hoping for Spider-Man without all this Mr Stark guff.

I enjoyed homecoming and the brief appearance in Civil war. Tech spidey though I'm not so keen on.

Associate
I think they need an Iron man like character, I think he was a glue character like what CA and BW were as well. Now they have none of them and what is left is rather uninspiring as lead characters. Captain Marvel can get knotted, cant say I like the actress or the character as there is an air arrogance in her for what is a new character to audience. Black panther doesn't give me the superhero leadership vibe either...

Yeah I'm not all that inspired or impressed with phase 4 and I feel there is a danger of this fizzing out now that the Thanos/IS saga is done and dusted. Got to say I feel Spiderman is about the only one that I'm genuinely interested in now if hes MCU based. Venom sucked so I have no interest there.

I dont know, I just feel disappointed now due to the abrupt large loss of core characters all at the same time, kind of wanted it to all go on longer.

Back
Top Bottom