F1 2019 - News & Rumours

Caporegime
I don't think so - when asked about Ocon going elsewhere outside the Mercedes family earlier this season, Toto said that they would release him from his contract.
Indeed, Toto said he'd have a drive next season even if it wasn't at Mercedes and even if it meant releasing him from his Mercedes young driver program. Good news for Russell if that's the case though?

Soldato
Indeed, Toto said he'd have a drive next season even if it wasn't at Mercedes and even if it meant releasing him from his Mercedes young driver program. Good news for Russell if that's the case though?
Yes it will open the door nicely for george in 2021 as even if Bottas retains his seat next year, he has no cat in hells chance after that surely, not with all these young lads coming through now.

Soldato
Bottas is not terrible, he's a decent number two, but I think the main thing is that he won't rock the boat and disturb Hamilton too much. I don't think Bottas is going to be a team leader when Hamilton retires, and he certainly doesn't have Hamilton's media profile that Mercedes love so much.

Soldato
Bottas is not terrible, he's a decent number two, but I think the main thing is that he won't rock the boat and disturb Hamilton too much. I don't think Bottas is going to be a team leader when Hamilton retires, and he certainly doesn't have Hamilton's media profile that Mercedes love so much.
Agree on all points. I think next year will be Bottas last with Merc, Russell will surely take his seat in 2021 (regardless of his williams contract).

Caporegime
Bottas is not terrible, he's a decent number two...

He's solidly mediocre, a proven nothing. As for a solid number 2, you only have to look at his truly turdacious performance last year to see how shaky that claim is. To come in 5th - 5th! - in a championship capable Mercedes without a single win to his name was a truly awful performance. This year he's on course to surrender 2nd place to a driver in the 3rd best car. Mercedes advantage has been solid enough that he's not yet cost them a place in the Manufacturer's standings but that is unlikely to last.

...but I think the main thing is that he won't rock the boat and disturb Hamilton too much.

This is true, but it's a terrible way for top teams to be picking drivers.

Caporegime
Not really excited about this Renault switch
Think they are about equal ocon and hulk. Don't feel that ocon did that much to shout about. Could actually work out for hulk if he gets a haas.

I can imagine they'd jump at chance of hulk vs grojean

Soldato
He's solidly mediocre, a proven nothing. As for a solid number 2, you only have to look at his truly turdacious performance last year to see how shaky that claim is. To come in 5th - 5th! - in a championship capable Mercedes without a single win to his name was a truly awful performance. This year he's on course to surrender 2nd place to a driver in the 3rd best car. Mercedes advantage has been solid enough that he's not yet cost them a place in the Manufacturer's standings but that is unlikely to last.
Completely agree.
Not really excited about this Renault switch
Think they are about equal ocon and hulk. Don't feel that ocon did that much to shout about. Could actually work out for hulk if he gets a haas.

I can imagine they'd jump at chance of hulk vs grojean
Ocon isn't just about performance, French driver, French team...

Hulk is a solid midfielder but nothing more, he'll be a safe replacement for Grosjean.

Soldato

This is true, but it's a terrible way for top teams to be picking drivers.

Teams want the drivers that stand the best chance of winning the constructors championship for them. Mercedes are just very lucky to have Hamilton while he’s at his prime. Their only worry is Ferrari build a car equal to a Merc and Hamilton fancies winning a world title for the prancing horse.

Caporegime
Teams want the drivers that stand the best chance of winning the constructors championship for them. Mercedes are just very lucky to have Hamilton while he’s at his prime. Their only worry is Ferrari build a car equal to a Merc and Hamilton fancies winning a world title for the prancing horse.

With Bottas in that seat, they don't need an equal car just something close enough. Having Vettel in the Ferrari is helping Mercedes out too.

Back
Top Bottom