Roof boxes

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Looking like this trip is going to be tight, going to need a roof box for the next trip.

Never even browsed one before so no idea whether there are decent brands or it's best to go with oem etc.

All knowledge is appreciated :)
Thanks

d8eFgq4.gif

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lidl have one for £99 at the moment. I have no idea about fixings or whatever but if it's unlikely to get a lot of use then why not? Lidl stuff is generally decent quality too. 320l if I remember correctly.

Soldato
I got one at Tesco direct before it shut down on Tesco vouchers was £75 it's not the biggest one but works fine.

You can go nuts on a roof box but really it's a price of plastic.

Associate
We got a Mont Blanc one, used it quite a few times. We chose to spend a little more than the cheapest ones. The extra money not only buys you a bit more quality but service as well. I managed to misplace the key for it whilst in Vienna and after a phone call to their UK number they were going to express mail a key to me at our hotel.

The manufacturers own roof boxes seem very pricey for what are often rebaded models from other manufacturers.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Lidl have one for £99 at the moment. I have no idea about fixings or whatever but if it's unlikely to get a lot of use then why not? Lidl stuff is generally decent quality too. 320l if I remember correctly.
Oooh, is that big? Lidl ransoms are occasionally decent quality, still have an air compressor going strong (could have been aldi, no idea)
I got one at Tesco direct before it shut down on Tesco vouchers was £75 it's not the biggest one but works fine.

You can go nuts on a roof box but really it's a price of plastic.
Good point, but surely some are designed better for aerodynamics and security etc. ?
We got a Mont Blanc one, used it quite a few times. We chose to spend a little more than the cheapest ones. The extra money not only buys you a bit more quality but service as well. I managed to misplace the key for it whilst in Vienna and after a phone call to their UK number they were going to express mail a key to me at our hotel.

The manufacturers own roof boxes seem very pricey for what are often rebaded models from other manufacturers.
That's more like it. How much?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Couple hundred odd was expected. Don't got to any extra effort mate :)

Edit: eww it's weird saying "mate". Prefer "brudda" :D

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Decent price considering their pens cost that much haha :D Will do more googling once we are back from the beach :)

Soldato
Up to you and how much you think you'll use it.

I don't regret not going for a more expensive one.

Although that reminds me I have a different car from last time I used it, probably need new roof bars :(

Soldato
Oh my car already has these...

eejPMu8.jpg

...do I need something specific from BMW ?
Looks like the same bars on my Volvo v40,the price for mine from Volvo are £175 and I can’t find anything that will work as the roof bars are very close to the roof.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Problem with a roof box is storing it when you're not using it. I had this realisation when looking at options and found some places hire them out (and fit them for you) so could be an option. I never bothered in the end so no actual experience to share unfortunately.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Those are called closed roof rails, the car to the rear in that pic has what's called open roof rails ie you can get your hand underneath.
Thank you very much :)
Problem with a roof box is storing it when you're not using it. I had this realisation when looking at options and found some places hire them out (and fit them for you) so could be an option. I never bothered in the end so no actual experience to share unfortunately.
True, I've got a couple of sheds I'm sure there is space in as long as they can fit through a normal door.
I've got a roof bag, comes with a protective mat and straps. As above storing a roof box is annoying, this folds flat.

Depends how much room you need though.

https://bigdaddyoutdoors.com/

I have had larger plastic ones which broke over time so now we have a fabric Thule collapsible job. Works well but hard use it. Means it folds down and lives in the garage roof. The base is fixed.
Thanks for the suggestion, but someone can literally just cut those off and run. I would prefer something a lot more secure.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I've never heard of anyone stealing/breaking into a roof box. But I know a few people who wouldn't think twice about taking a bag to shift for some funds.

Back
Top Bottom