Bit of an odd windows/network issue when I reset my router

Associate
I've got a virgin modem downstairs, I think it's called a superhub or some fancy kind of name like that. Every now and then lately various things keep not being able to connect to it, roku box, phone etc, nothing major I just need to reset it and it's fine again.

What's not fine is my PC, because every time I reset the box, when it turns back on my computer won't open web pages, online games, or anything like that. Discord stays connected, launchers stay connected, they just won't play any games, and I can't load any webpages. To fix it I have to restart my whole PC. So it doesn't seem I'm FULLY cut off from the internet, just...mostly? I can't really grasp how that'd happen and why it's doing it. Any ideas? Not some horrible urgent issue, I just don't like restarting my PC much and it is a bit annoying if I'm in the middle of something.

(windows 7 if that helps)

Associate
OP
Thanks, i had to wait for the issue to occur before trying it but it did not help. Chrome and firefox still won't load any webpages and tell me I am not connected- and yet I am still on a call in discord. No online game will launch.

Edit- saying that, after a few minutes the call broke, so I could hear them but they could not hear me. Troubleshooting said it couldn't teach the DNS server.

Don
Describe your network.

Do you have anything besides the superhub ? Switches, access points, powerline adapters?

How do you connect to the router from your pc.

Soldato
Sounds like a problem I get, which I posted about in July here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32881039

I only got this problem since upgrading to Windows 1903, from 1709 where I never had such problems.

Basically I have some PCs wired into the SH3, running Windows 10 1903. If I reboot the SH3 while they are turned on, they won't be able to access the internet until they have restarted. Sometimes I need to shut them down, other times I need to uninstall the network card in Device Manager then restart. The only common things are Windows 10 1903 and the SH3.

I'd have tried another router, but I binned my old one in June - typical.

Soldato
Nextime it happens try typing the following in an administrator level command prompt.

Ipconfig /renew *

This will refresh all the network adaptor settings the same as if you rebooted the PC.

Associate
OP
Nextime it happens try typing the following in an administrator level command prompt.

Ipconfig /renew *

This will refresh all the network adaptor settings the same as if you rebooted the PC.

Happened again today so gave that a whirl, alas it did nothing and I had to reboot it all anyway.

Back
Top Bottom