No mans sky in VR is amazing

Associate
It's sit down/stand up, with the VR controllers, for some reason they didn't put in xbox controllers in VR (that I saw)
As a first VR experience for me it was something special.
Looked absolutely fine, and thats without messing with any of the VR settings like SS or whatever, as it was all new to me and did'nt know where any of that stuff was.

It just worked well out of the box in NMS, visually and audibly.
Controlling the ship is very temperamental and I can see why some people moan about it, but if you sit down and put an arm on each chair rest and grip the ship controls it's mighty realistic. You just can't expect to be anywhere near as efficient and accurate straight away as you would be with kb/mouse or xbox controller.

It's just another way to experience the game, for me, everything took longer to do. From walking across the planets to just flying in a straight line.
If you like to blast through the game quickly, maybe it's not for you. VR will slow you down (or maybe I was just slow as it was my first game in VR) but if you take it as a chill experience, it's quite the ride.

Soldato
It's for oculus users only and replaces steamVR with a more stripped down streamlined piece of software.
It does not work for everything but what it does work for improves things a lot.
Note it only helps for steamVR titles. Where possible native rift support is still best

You can either install the DLL per game or a 1 off install and swap between steamvr and open composite with 1 press of a button. That is how I do it and this way means it automatically keeps itself up to date.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/tree/master

https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...g-for-for-a-stutter-free-experience-in-openvr

Soldato
indeed ED may have some issues with the game, but i have not met anyone who has not had at least a few jaw to the floor moments in ED.

(coming out of a space station which is orbitting an ELW , or landing at one of the thargoid bases or being ripped out of hyperspace for the 1st time, having power go off line and............. (not gonna spoil) )
(oh and CQC is impressive in VR too)

Soldato
It isn't that hard, I was barrelling inside caves for fun yesterday. If you've had extensive practice in games like RebirthVR, Endspace , or VTOL, craft control in NMS comes easy.

On the main of the topic though, i'm bloody loving this now, it is amazing!! I found the nexus station, my mind was blown! Everything just felt so alive, like no other VR world has before, a MMO in action. Ships coming in and out, players running around, everything scaled to a life like experience. A pity it launched with performance issues that gave an initial bad rep, it runs far better now. For me it really is the kind of experience in VR that most people were waiting on.

Soldato
Well after its launch back in 2016 I didn't think I would say this about NMS but this for me is the best game I have played since elite dangerous way back

Whilst it is limited in some areas it is just so cool playing in VR. ,(Without it it would not interest me much)

Last edited:
Associate
Just restarted a fresh new game after not playing for 3 years (when they released the building addon). Died 10 times in Permadeath until I got the hang of what I was supposed to do. Can't wait to try it out on my VR (waiting for kids to go to school tomorrow). Have to admit, a brilliant sense of relief and achievement when I managed to repair my ship on a toxic and deadly hot planet, then fly into space to discover an Earth-like planet. Performance is much better than I last remember, also threats from Sentinels, wildlife & fauna do make the game more tense, especially with the 1 life. Well done Sean & the team, I knew there was potential in the game. I hope that they carry-on developing and expanding the game. I would love to see more dangerous beasts which live in caves and roam outside at night... Or a new race who are hell-bent on conquering all the systems, forcing you to build defenses at your home settlements.

Back
Top Bottom