Favourite music in a game

Associate
F-Zero X - thrashing guitars and 1000mph = awesome
Ocarina of Time - every song hit the tone of each area and the action within it perfectly
Halo - the music matched the scale and intensity perfectly, just wow

Soldato
Lately, its some of the boss fight OSTs for Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, a mobile game that borrows its art from the old games FFIV for example, but have the soundtrack that belongs on a console title.

Worth a youtube

And my current favourite

Soldato
Someone has surely mentioned Outrun already. Haven't played it for probably 30 years, but I can still whistle a couple of the tunes to myself.

I had it on C64, so to play the music you had to put the separate music cassette into a tape deck nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzsqx5uXmpA

The bit that particularly gets the nostalgia flowing is from 44 seconds onwards.

Associate
Already had the ones I'd nominate like FFVII and Wipeout 2097, Frank Klepacki (first C&C's OST being my favourite), GTA...

Another game with a superb yet spooky soundtrack was The 7th Guest:

The second CD installation disk also had a whole album on it:

Someone's already mentioned Deus Ex 1. Also love this track. A rare relatively upbeat backtrack in the game:

I'm also now recalling how back in the day game disks worked in regular audio CD players - GTA 1 on the PS1 and Wipeout 2097 come to mind. An awesome touch.

Associate
It's been a long time since I played it but I seem to remember Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines having a really good soundtrack.

Good shout. This one creeped me out in conjunction with that level:

On the other side of the coin, there was a certain dance with VV to Type O Negative - Christian Woman and nightclubs playing the likes of Lacuna Coil - Swamped.

I'm disappointed the gameplay footage of VTMB2 has a night club scene with limp RnB/generic slow pace electronica going on rather than the vibe VTMB1 went with music /genre wise.

Back
Top Bottom