Aircon cleaner

Associate
My Aircon is starting to smell slightly funky when first turned on, especially on warm days. I'm planning to change the pollen filter for a new Mann carbon activated one, as the existing one has been in for 20k or so, but also looking to use one of those aircon bombs to clean the system out at the same time. There seems to be loads out there but a lot of user reviews suggest they just mask the smell for a few days/weeks rather than cleaning out it properly.

Which ones would you recommend or have had good experiences with? Thanks :cool:

Associate
Change filter, but also, keep windows open and put the heating at the maximum setting for about 10-15 minutes. For security reasons, don't need to stay in the car, but watching it, as the engine will be running. To speed up the process, after some driving, the engine being warm/hot, would be faster. The hot air will kill the bacteria and eliminate any humidity trapped. Still need to have a new filter.
Unless you're experiencing water ingress, which can be via the filter, causing bad smell, I'm 99% sure it's just natural growth of bacteria. Once in a while a blast of hot air should cure, without the need to anything else.

Soldato
the issue is usually not turning off the air conditioning before you end your journey , otherwise you get condensation in the cold areas in the conduits that causes 'growth',

scanning some of the reviews on the residue left by the foam I'd have some reservations versus the lysol spray solution - google it.

I usually don't buy the carbon activated pollen filters (about 50% more) but not sure they would entrap the bacteria in the air, anyway.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
the issue is usually not turning off the air conditioning before you end your journey , otherwise you get condensation in the cold areas in the conduits that causes 'growth',

Does anyone turn it off like that? I just leave the climate control set to auto, I don't ever turn "the AC" on or off.

Caporegime
Change filter, but also, keep windows open and put the heating at the maximum setting for about 10-15 minutes. For security reasons, don't need to stay in the car, but watching it, as the engine will be running. To speed up the process, after some driving, the engine being warm/hot, would be faster. The hot air will kill the bacteria and eliminate any humidity trapped. Still need to have a new filter.
Unless you're experiencing water ingress, which can be via the filter, causing bad smell, I'm 99% sure it's just natural growth of bacteria. Once in a while a blast of hot air should cure, without the need to anything else.

The cabin heater gets to sub 30deg c, is this really enough to kill off any bacteria???

Associate
the issue is usually not turning off the air conditioning before you end your journey ,

Not on modern cars as it is designed to be on permanently. Some don't turn fully off at all.

As for the smell I have used the Holt's one on previous cars with absolutely no issues. Easy to do, start car close all windows, put on recirc' and AC on full power then put the "bomb" in the passenger foot well and set it off. Close the doors and leave for 10 minutes. That is it, all done.

Soldato

scanning some of the reviews on the residue left by the foam I'd have some reservations versus the lysol spray solution - google it.

I usually don't buy the carbon activated pollen filters (about 50% more) but not sure they would entrap the bacteria in the air, anyway.

Naa the foam is fine, I've used it a few times on a few cars. It doesn't leave anything behind and evaporates after about 15 minutes.

The cabin heater gets to sub 30deg c, is this really enough to kill off any bacteria???

No, you'd need closer to 200c to kill bacteria with hot air :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies all. AC is generally on all the time I use the car and definitely don't turn it off before the end of the journey. Crazy if that's what you're supposed to do!

Back
Top Bottom