Question regarding 3700x thermals

Associate
I've recently bought a Ryzen 7 3700x, Gigabyte Aorus Elite (BIOS F4g) and the highly recommended Noctua nh-u12a. The temperatures I'm getting are much higher than I'd expected, using Ryzen Master's numbers it idles between 45-55c and rises to 65-78c under moderate load with stock settings just RAM XMP Profile enabled & running the Ryzen balanced power profile in windows. I'm in Scotland so it's not like the ambient temperature is excessively high.
I was wondering if my situation was normal, coming from a 3770k (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz) with a Corsair Hydro H100 cooler I've never seen temps so high but with this being a new chip (7nm and more cores) I don't know what to expect. I've looked online and even here on the forum and seen wildly varied numbers from other people.
I used the supplied Noctua thermal paste, initially using the pea drop in the center method then when I wasn't happy with the temps I cleaned and reapplied paste in an X as I'd heard the chiplet design of the Ryzen 3000 series chips can cause uneven heating. Temps still seemed high so I bought some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught paste and while that dropped the temps a couple of degrees I still need to run my fans a lot harder than I expected when running heavier workloads or games. The reason I switched from an AIO on my old build to a Noctua air cooler and fans for the new PC was to run my system quieter not louder. The AIO pump was noisy, I figured a low rpm fan system would be better but with these temps I cant run the fans quiet.
Am I missing something are these Zen chips just hot, have I got some dud silicon or is my cooling solution a mistake? I'm wary of buying more kit to lower temps if the real issue isn't one that can be solved with more airflow and alternative cooling solutions. I've already spent near £200 on coolers, thermal paste, more fans and a fan controller for the extra fans :D

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Associate
Same here. Upgraded to 3700X recently and my temps are WAY too high.
I'm using Kraken X62 280mm AiO. Temps sitting at 55-65C++ when I'm doing nothing. Under load 70-83C++ (depends which stress test im using, CPUZ is the scariest).
Also I got Noctua U12A - temps aren't any better as far as I remember, tomorrow I'm gonna try it again.
I was thinking maybe something wrong with my mounting? But it can't be bad with 2 different coolers...

Associate
OP
The updated Ryzen chipset drivers from AMD released a short while ago tweaked the Ryzen balanced power plan and then my temps got down to something reasonable. Now sits around 45c for general usage and rarely hits 65c under heavy load. Not sure if it'll help you but worth a try if you haven't already.

Associate
The updated Ryzen chipset drivers from AMD released a short while ago tweaked the Ryzen balanced power plan and then my temps got down to something reasonable. Now sits around 45c for general usage and rarely hits 65c under heavy load. Not sure if it'll help you but worth a try if you haven't already.

I tried it already. Slightly better now, but still temps are too high.
CPU is sitting at 4.2GHz when I'm gaming etc. Clock is dropping to 3.9GHz in Cinebench and other CPU heavy tests. When I try manual OC of 4.2GHz with even lower voltage than default - temps are even higher, much higher than usualy.
I tried Wraith Prism, Kraken X62, Noctua U12A. Temps are terrible. Is CPU faulty? Maybe I lost silicon lottery?

It's so frustrating. Especially when I see other people having 4.3GHz OC @1.350V.

Associate
OP
Not sure what to suggest. Hows your case airflow? The chips certainly run hotter than previous cpus and even your high of 82c is fine really as far as the limits are concerned, just not the sort of temps we're used to. I did have to add some more fans to my case to help shift the heat. For settings I've just left mine on auto setting in the bios, there didnt seem to be much point in manual overclocking as the chips do a pretty decent job of working it out themselves. The chips are so powerful than even when I'm gaming the cores rarely pass 3ghz because the games just don't seem to need more for the games I play. Under synthetic loads I'll hit 4.25 and sometimes 4.3 but I've never seen those values in day to day

Back
Top Bottom