Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Yes, I got one when I cancelled, eventually! After 3 phone calls :(:mad:

Thanks, just checking as wasn't sure as I'm on call number 3 tomorrow morning. Call me cynical, but I wouldn't like to pass the 30 days and still be connected with them saying they have no record.......

Shocking customer service!

Associate
I haven't received a phone call or email since I cancelled, the disconnection is scheduled for the 03/09/19. I called yesterday to double check the disconnection was still going through and it was.

Associate

Shock as ISP's realise most people do nothing and just except the ever increasing price. After all if they automatically offered everyone the best price they would miss out on that large chunk of change generated by current customer apathy.

Take my folks for example, no matter how many times I try, they still won't move away from BT as its 'too much hassle' to change provider...... Despite BT charging them far too much and me showing them that VM (amongst others) are cheaper.

RJC

RJC

Don
I haven't received a phone call or email since I cancelled, the disconnection is scheduled for the 03/09/19. I called yesterday to double check the disconnection was still going through and it was.

I did the same, the returns packaging arrived Wednesday.

Associate

Are your contact details for your account up to date? Isn't there an option in the account to prevent them contacting you?

Associate
By chance the people who have good deals do you have another good broadband provider in your area? just wondering if they search to see whats available in your area before they offer any deals. I can only get 3mb via BT and 4g is crap for gaming apparently. I wish fiber would hurry up and get rolled out quicker. sick of Virgins price antics

Soldato
I wish fiber would hurry up and get rolled out quicker. sick of Virgins price antics

Not sure I understand, Virgin tend to review prices once a year, usually they go up by a minimal amount. When you are in contract, you get a discount, if you don’t take out a new contract, you move to a rolling 30 day contract and pay retail price. This is the way energy providers, mobile telecoms providers, fixed line/broadband providers, insurance providers who auto renew and many, many other industries operate and have done for decades. If you want to pay less take a contract/haggle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Virgin actually offer decent prices. I used to slate them through all the years since the took over NTL, Blue Yonder, and Telewest(?), then introduced traffic shaping. However they are quite decent (if you get the 350MB and up package IMO) for the price you can potentially get.

It also depends on your area too, as some parts are congested and you'll get bad speeds from what I've read over the years. Not sure if it's changed since.

They're also easier to haggle with I've found. I tried haggling with BT and they wouldn't give me the FTTP 80/20 for anything less than £40 even though I'd been with them for over 10 years!

I've also found the foreign call centers aren't too bad, and can work in your favour sometimes as I once got a discount from them, then phoned up a few days later as the discount never was actioned, and another agent screwed up the discount to give me a few more off!

Associate
Not sure I understand, Virgin tend to review prices once a year, usually they go up by a minimal amount. When you are in contract, you get a discount, if you don’t take out a new contract, you move to a rolling 30 day contract and pay retail price. This is the way energy providers, mobile telecoms providers, fixed line/broadband providers, insurance providers who auto renew and many, many other industries operate and have done for decades. If you want to pay less take a contract/haggle.

They offered £6 off my bill which i wouldn't be saving anything as the bill was going up £6 the cheeky gits. they then offered 200mb for £47 a month. I told them no thanks. people on here paying far less and getting a lot more even as an existing customer. This is why i want other competitors to hurry up and install fiber. BT are installing in one part of stockport but not where I am. there is no information about other areas being updated

Associate
They offered £6 off my bill which i wouldn't be saving anything as the bill was going up £6 the cheeky gits. they then offered 200mb for £47 a month. I told them no thanks. people on here paying far less and getting a lot more even as an existing customer. This is why i want other competitors to hurry up and install fiber. BT are installing in one part of stockport but not where I am. there is no information about other areas being updated

I know that feeling although g.fast is a stop gap really, its available on the east side of Preston and not the west grrrr :)

Soldato
Do Virgin do any decent F&F deals like sky do? My sky with F&F is up in a month odd and though i can get another sky f&f code the prices have gone up quite a lot even with f&f and i really do fancy the faster broadband speeds that virgin is offering.

Associate
By chance the people who have good deals do you have another good broadband provider in your area? just wondering if they search to see whats available in your area before they offer any deals. I can only get 3mb via BT and 4g is crap for gaming apparently. I wish fiber would hurry up and get rolled out quicker. sick of Virgins price antics

I have VM and BT (and all the variations of BT) so VM is by far the fastest provider in my area currently.

Now paying £38.00 a month for 350 broadband only.

Soldato
I was offered the 350 for £42, but sticking with 200 for £35.

Haggle more, if you don't need TV with them you may be able to get 350 for £35 (I'm currently on that). It's just BB and basic Phone. Always have a backup option if you do decide to leave. Although I guess if you try and cancel and they call your bluff, you can phone up another day and "cancel" the cancellation of your services.

Soldato

Do you still not understand contract/non contract pricing? They offered you the contract rate if you took out another contract rather than the retail rate, you're presumably only on broadband, adding a phone line could actually make it cheaper and as offers are criteria based and improve the chances of getting a better deal in future. Not sure how that's 'price antics', if I move to a 'standard' tariff on my electricity/gas I pay more than if I renew at a new fixed rate. Other people may get a cheaper deal, but it's a criteria based system, the budget/appetite to retain someone with just broadband is lower than that to save someone with 3 or 4 services.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Haggle more, if you don't need TV with them you may be able to get 350 for £35 (I'm currently on that). It's just BB and basic Phone. Always have a backup option if you do decide to leave. Although I guess if you try and cancel and they call your bluff, you can phone up another day and "cancel" the cancellation of your services.

I've got just the phone and BB package, but I'm likely going to leave it at that as I'm not sure the speed increase would make that much difference.

Associate
Had the 200 and the cancellation went through so resigned in my mother’s name as new customer on 100 for £27 a month, will give it a couple of months then see about upgrading

Back
Top Bottom