Roof boxes

Soldato
My v40 has open roof bars but the gap between the roof is really small,I’ve tried using the roof bars that say they will fit every open bars but the bottom of the fixings sit in my roof,I need proper Volvo ones I think.

Soldato
Thank you very much :)

True, I've got a couple of sheds I'm sure there is space in as long as they can fit through a normal door.

Thanks for the suggestion, but someone can literally just cut those off and run. I would prefer something a lot more secure.

Nope, they can’t. It’s a rigid rail base, so like a ‘hard’ version. See here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IvgAAOSw3mFbD8PE/s-l400.jpg

They’d have to nick the car or the entire roof rack!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ah I see! Ok cool, thank you :) looked just strapped on. Haven't had a chance to Google properly yet, enjoying this beach weather!! (Fyi western supermare is the worst beach I've ever been too, when the tide is out it's all just clay and mud... the **** is it so rated?)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
My v40 has open roof bars but the gap between the roof is really small,I’ve tried using the roof bars that say they will fit every open bars but the bottom of the fixings sit in my roof,I need proper Volvo ones I think.

Thanks, I'm guessing it will be the same for my bimma.

Soldato
I have always used Thule roof bars/boxes/cycle carriers. Fitted every car I’ve had the bars a long time just getting different feet if I need them. They fit fine on the F11/F31.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh my car already has these...

...do I need something specific from BMW ?

You can get BMW specific bars (similar price to Thule), but they are essentially a BMW stickered up Thule item with BMW instructions.

You do hear the wind with them, so a whisper or aero type bar might improve upon that. Stability and fixing is great and instructions are plenty good enough to figure them out from. They have torque limiting bolt handles also which work well.

No problems with the fixings or stability when we filled ours for a drive across the Highlands to Isle of Tiree and back again.

sR2jIJb.jpg

Soldato
Got ours from Go Outdoors when it was on offer. £120ish springs to mind but it was the biggest one they do.

Lidl currently have a similar one in which looks just as good.

Soldato
I've got a Thule motion which is great. Super light so it can be lifted empty onto the roof. It uses the claw wind fitting to so can be used on any rack without too much hassle. Mine was ex display from Halfords. £150 I think

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I have always used Thule roof bars/boxes/cycle carriers. Fitted every car I’ve had the bars a long time just getting different feet if I need them. They fit fine on the F11/F31.

You can get BMW specific bars (similar price to Thule), but they are essentially a BMW stickered up Thule item with BMW instructions.

You do hear the wind with them, so a whisper or aero type bar might improve upon that. Stability and fixing is great and instructions are plenty good enough to figure them out from. They have torque limiting bolt handles also which work well.

No problems with the fixings or stability when we filled ours for a drive across the Highlands to Isle of Tiree and back again.

sR2jIJb.jpg

Got ours from Go Outdoors when it was on offer. £120ish springs to mind but it was the biggest one they do.

Lidl currently have a similar one in which looks just as good.

I've got a Thule motion which is great. Super light so it can be lifted empty onto the roof. It uses the claw wind fitting to so can be used on any rack without too much hassle. Mine was ex display from Halfords. £150 I think

Thanks guys, I think I'll take the car to a Thule stockists during the week and see which one fits best... then buy it online haha :D

Really appreciate the advice :)

Soldato
I’m using a Thule Ranger 90 at the moment which is a soft roofbox (and folds up into a narrow bag). Very impressed with it, and it’s surprisingly quiet at French motorway speeds.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Not a bad price, but think a one box solution is the way forward for me, less effort haha :)

Didn't realise how expensive this Thule stuff is. Are their bars really that superior? It's a simple thing at the end of the day, no?

Associate
I'd say a one box solution would be easier, although if you get a large box make sure it can open from both sides as you'll never reach to the far side once it's on the car.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
True. I've seen the Thule Motion XT XL (500L) New on eBay for £400 and something... just need to go Halfords and see it in the flesh and find out what bars I need etc :)

Back
Top Bottom