Taxi prices in comparison to Uber

Caporegime
It's always about 25% cheaper for me in Newcastle to use an Uber. Drivers are often decent crack too.
sounds about right.

to the airport with the taxi company that has the airport contract is around £18 now since they changed to some new crap company, the old one was £16

I looked how much an uber would be one time and the quote was 14
thought I may as well just take the airport taxi since uber have to drop you at the carpark and not the main entrance doors.

The new airport company is terrible though, guy was 30mins late to pick me up... I'm like 20mins from the airport.

Next time might just take an uber or jump on the metro.

No one seems to like the new airport company now you have to prebook your journey home from the airport when you land in Newcastle either from the taxi office inside of the new machines outside, every time I get off a flight everyone is annoyed as hell when they realise you can't just jump in one of the taxis anymore but have to go through the stupid booking crap that takes like 5 precious minutes when everyone is just wanting to get home

Associate
About £40 with tip for taxi to Heathrow just over 8 miles away, or £1.50 on the bus taking 3 times the journey time, but still not that bad. Really shows the discrepancy. Needless to say you see plenty of large luggage on that bus route.

Soldato
About £40 with tip for taxi to Heathrow just over 8 miles away, or £1.50 on the bus taking 3 times the journey time, but still not that bad. Really shows the discrepancy. Needless to say you see plenty of large luggage on that bus route.

You like large luggage on public transport? Try the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow Central.

Associate
You like large luggage on public transport? Try the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow Central.

Large luggage obviously a pain on a bus, least of all a tube which I'm no fan of at the best of times, luckily I can avoid them entirely. Thankfully my route is nicely southwest of that. Can even get a double seat in the day or even a fairly empty bus entirely coming back at night. Really not bad at all compared how much cheaper than a taxi or uber it is.

Soldato
It's always about 25% cheaper for me in Newcastle to use an Uber. Drivers are often decent crack too.

Most of the drivers in Newcastle/Whitley Bay are decent IME. There's lots of professionals who do a bit of driving on the side, it quite suprises me the chats I have these days.

As for cost, I'm happy to pay what they charge for the service. I think it's typically cheaper, ok you get stung for surge pricing, but I remember waiting an hour plus at busy times in the "olden days".

I also like the full tracking. Kids of today will never know the frustration of having to meet people in town pre mobile phones and being told half a dozen times that "the driver is just around the corner" by the controller while your meeting time comes and goes and you have no way of contacting people.

Caporegime
Where is this? Asking for a friend.

I suspect it had long since been closed down/moved. Though no doubt your friend can be taken to several current ones by simply existing most London strip clubs and getting into a dodgy minicab. :D

Soldato
I suspect it had long since been closed down/moved. Though no doubt your friend can be taken to several current ones by simply existing most London strip clubs and getting into a dodgy minicab. :D
Haha I've never been to one, but I remember one in Farringdon called Venus from my old commute. "London's best table dancing club" apparently.

Edit: Actually that's a lie, I haven't been to one in the last 10 years. Same thing though.

Soldato
I live in London so black cabs are only for rich foreigners or stupid people. Uber is hands down the best "product" to come from new technology in our generation.

Man of Honour
I live in London so black cabs are only for rich foreigners or stupid people. Uber is hands down the best "product" to come from new technology in our generation.

Your call, use what you like, couple of months back, we had a family party at my niece’s place in Rotherhithe, her sister and husband left around 00.30, flagged a Black Cab in the street, and went home to Crayford, Kent, around 11 or 12 miles, it went £52.60 on the meter, and her husband gave the guy £55.00.
Their street wise brother used his Uber app at 03.00, to get home to Stratford, East London, maybe 6 miles, £53.00!
Which one was the mug?

Soldato
Never used one but my brother did for a 3 miles journey and he said it cost more than the local taxi's because they charge time and distance and they got stuck in traffic.

Soldato
Their street wise brother used his Uber app at 03.00, to get home to Stratford, East London, maybe 6 miles, £53.00!
Which one was the mug?
That seems excessive. I paid 40 quid to get from Alexandra Palace to Slough recently in an Uber. I dare to think what that journey would cost in a traditional minicab, let alone a black cab. Did the street wise brother not notice a 20x surge charge when he booked? Always best to wait 5 mins if it's high.

Man of Honour
Never used one but my brother did for a 3 miles journey and he said it cost more than the local taxi's because they charge time and distance and they got stuck in traffic.

With the best will in the world, you can’t expect the guy to turn the meter off if he runs into traffic, and despite the old canard about the driver looking for traffic to run the meter up, all that Black Cab drivers really want to do, is get you in and out as quick as they can, then get another job on the back seat.

That seems excessive. I paid 40 quid to get from Alexandra Palace to Slough recently in an Uber. I dare to think what that journey would cost in a traditional minicab, let alone a black cab. Did the street wise brother not notice a 20x surge charge when he booked? Always best to wait 5 mins if it's high.

Doubt it, he’s not the sharpest tool in the box, but I’m guessing that his wife wanted to go home, and put a gun to his head.
I thought that it was a tad excessive too, but I’ve got no idea of their price structuring, I’ve never used an Uber, nor a minicab, as a dyed in the wool inner Londoner, for me it’s Black Cabs only, if I had a toothache, I’d go to a dentist, not a chiropodist.
The guy who took you from Ally Pally to Slough for £40, must have been a philanthropist, he probably made £2 out of that job.

Soldato
Which one was the mug?
Well, both. Uber right now is telling me its estimate £14-18 to Stratford so £50+ is ridiculous. I paid that for a covent garden to zone 3 West London on the Friday before Christmas a couple of years ago.

And the other trip to Crayford is showing as £23-30 so the family could have saved a bundle there too.

Black cabs are noisy, uncomfortable and always trying to fleece you. I'd rather finish my beer, walk outside into a waiting Merc or Prius and be on my way without having to stand on the street like a lemon for 10mins.

Soldato
Generally uber is about half the price of cab equivalent and a lot more pleasant. Used in Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, sheffield, san francisco and all good.

Only downside to uber is they tend to picl and choose/less available at pub closing time. I really struggle to see how they make money sometimes as they're so cheap!

Man of Honour
Generally uber is about half the price of cab equivalent and a lot more pleasant. Used in Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, sheffield, san francisco and all good.

Only downside to uber is they tend to picl and choose/less available at pub closing time. I really struggle to see how they make money sometimes as they're so cheap!

CNBC Report
Why Uber is losing money and what it will take to become profitable
Uber is far from making money. It reported an operating loss of $3 billion in 2018 after losing more than $4 billion the prior year. Some analysts predict it will become profitable eventually.

Soldato
CNBC Report
Why Uber is losing money and what it will take to become profitable
Uber is far from making money. It reported an operating loss of $3 billion in 2018 after losing more than $4 billion the prior year. Some analysts predict it will become profitable eventually.

Only when it has wiped out all competition from other private hire operators and then upped fares to profitable levels.

Caporegime
Your call, use what you like, couple of months back, we had a family party at my niece’s place in Rotherhithe, her sister and husband left around 00.30, flagged a Black Cab in the street, and went home to Crayford, Kent, around 11 or 12 miles, it went £52.60 on the meter, and her husband gave the guy £55.00.
Which one was the mug?

Both

Back
Top Bottom