i5 9600k
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI INTEL Z390
Corsair RM650
2 x 8gb Corsair RGB Pro DDR4 3000
NZXT Kraken X62
NZXT H510 Elite

Then obv the Zotac 2070 Super.

Oh yeah I'll sling an NVME in too.

Reason for intel vs AMD is I don't want a chipset fan and then I went of down the road of finding wifi boards and that lead me to B450 etc and plenty of people saying they had issues with non X570 boards and honestly the likelihood of me noticing a difference between the 2 is literally zero.

I might just cheap out on the case.. not sure.

Soldato
OP
Ugh.. so again, any suggestions to stop me going in circles?

I don't need "grunt to spare" I'm currently using an NUC and a 5 year old macbook which is all more than good enough for my day to day usage.. the point of this PC is gaming but I'm seeing the 2070s as doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting there.

I don't want a chipset fan (unless is has a passive mode), I do want WiFi, I'd much rather not pay over £200.

I've been looking at some B450 stuff but they have DVI.. that's useless to me..

Round and round I go..

Man of Honour
Not sure why the on-board DVI matters so much to you. Not as if you're going to spec an APU. Ryzen (not the -G suffixes) do not have integrated graphics.

And you're going to use a discrete GPU anyway...

Man of Honour
@matt100 I'd rather get the msi b450 pro carbon. Equal vrm, and has wifi-ac inbuilt. And most importantly has cpu-less bios flashing.

And £30 cheaper as you're not paying Asus tax

Man of Honour
well if you do opt for the gigabyte board, you can RMA to gigabyte and they'll flash the board for you.
(not sure what the postage/handling charges are though)

Soldato
OP
So.. if I get the Aorus B450 Pro WiFi ITX board and the cheapest previous gen CPU I can which I think is about £50 then I can do a BIOS flash and then swap it out and flog it?

Associate
Ugh.. so again, any suggestions to stop me going in circles?

I don't need "grunt to spare" I'm currently using an NUC and a 5 year old macbook which is all more than good enough for my day to day usage.. the point of this PC is gaming but I'm seeing the 2070s as doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting there.

I don't want a chipset fan (unless is has a passive mode), I do want WiFi, I'd much rather not pay over £200.

Round and round I go..

No need to go in circles, the 3600 is the right chip for most folk unless you want a bit more future proofing.
A zen2 3600
16GB of 3200 ddr4 (best sweet spot for zen2)
Your choice of video card (imho i wouldnt be going 2070 but you already have yours so no prob)
Half a TB of SSD at least
All you need to do is think about what board, last years 4xx series are fine.

The chip will come with a cooler, but if you have money to spare put it into an AIO as Zen2 loves cooling.

If it was me i would go 3600, 16gig 3200ram, AIB 5700xt, AIO and prob a 570 based MB (just for future proofing)
Going the intel route, will its not easy - the 9700 is an 8 thread cpu without hyperthreading and imho not worth the money - neither is the 9400k which is a 6 thread cpu and just intel having a laugh. Both dry humped by Zen2 unless 3 or 4fps in crap games at low res with a 2080ti are worth something.

Wouldnt worry about the DVI port or the chipset fans.

Soldato
OP
Right here we go...

NZXT H200
AMD Ryzen 3600 (I'll figure something out for flashing)
Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi B450 ITX
2 x 8gb DDR4 3200

Pretty much my final question is on PSU actually... with the move to the 200 (which incidentally having measured it out works so much better for my desk than the H510E) should I go with an SFF PSU..

So.. how's this? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silv...old-fully-modular-power-supply-ca-405-sv.html

I was quite drawn to the Corsair RM650 due to the zero fan mode.. just wondering if I need the space in the H200

Back
Top Bottom