Glasgow Uni to pay £20 million in slave reparations

RxR

RxR

Soldato
As a child of War I affirm my evolutionary ascendence.

Once, it is true, that a fine lady gave me a silver coin. I was a child, I lived in the slums. She was beautiful, wise and kind. You know her. I put it with a medal I found half-buried in the wet sand that a drill rig dredged up. Dread naught.

And we see now how other children propose to repay that same kindness, the coin of a great jubilee. Let them be ranked, not by institution. But by the number of zeroes and number of years their prodigy can repay.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Useless comparison, the GU is not a descendant, it's the same organisation it was 400 years ago
Is it?

Oragnisation: an organized group of people with a particular purpose, such as a business or government department.

If all the people that made the organisation back then are dead (quite likely), then the organisation today is different in all but name from the organisation 400 years ago.

Soldato
As a child of War I affirm my evolutionary ascendence.

Once, it is true, that a fine lady gave me a silver coin. I was a child, I lived in the slums. She was beautiful, wise and kind. You know her. I put it with a medal I found half-buried in the wet sand that a drill rig dredged up. Dread naught.

And we see now how other children propose to repay that same kindness, the coin of a great jubilee. Let them be ranked, not by institution. But by the number of zeroes and number of years their prodigy can repay.

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard.

Associate
Is it?

Oragnisation: an organized group of people with a particular purpose, such as a business or government department.

If all the people that made the organisation back then are dead (quite likely), then the organisation today is different in all but name from the organisation 400 years ago.

Er have you been to Glasgow University? There are professors and academics who were around 400 years ago ... no prob.
Some even grew up with the Dinosaurs.

Permabanned
i think the King of Dahomey should pay reparations. his ancestors caught and sold many slaves to Europeans.
As did the King of Asante.
So dude from Nigeria who is descended from some king who sold slaves 250 years ago - is he due to give out reparations?
Is it?

Legally, organisations can pay up for old acts as much as countries can. so legally, an organisation owns the acts and benefits of what occurred centuries ago.
And the King of Dahomey today, evne though it's not a country, is the direct descendant of the Kings of Dahomey in the slave trade era. So he has a moral, if not legal, responsibility in reparations.

Soldato
Is it?

It's the same old crap. Same with 'institutional racism' an institution can't be racist, the people within it can. Either provide some evidence that the people who run the institution are racist, or come up with another justification for your stupid bias.

Soldato
But maybe someone made a racist official statement on behalf of the company 500 years ago!

If so I see no reason why the current CEO shouldn't be put on trial in a modern African court, be found guilty and then stoned to death.

Caporegime
i did wonder when a thread was going to be started on this as I figured the way the PR spin has been done on it, it would be making some of this forums members blood boil and their keyboards will be broken from their typing and I wasn't wrong :)

Caporegime
Not with our life expectancy in the city there isn’t!
You know there was a thread here in GD about how drinking the blood of young children could extend your life?

Well, maybe they had a lot of child slaves...

Quite how drinking it would help I have no idea. Surely the best way would be to take it as a suppository.

Soldato
You know there was a thread here in GD about how drinking the blood of young children could extend your life?

Well, maybe they had a lot of child slaves...

Quite how drinking it would help I have no idea. Surely the best way would be to take it as a suppository.

Fair point. It’s Glaswegians we’re talking about, they would drink anything I suppose!

Soldato
People so mad, newsflash - it's not going to change GU's decision, so this is just a flood of salty tears.
I'm not crying, i'm laughing.

What you are is oblivious to yourself.

Claiming to be on the sidelines you nevertheless posted an incredibly generic whinge about people having opinions on the topic.

They're not mailing anything off to the GU to attempt to change minds, it's a forum and they're posting their view.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
It's a matter of taste and finance that you can go out with a bang or a whimper. That's game 1 thinking. Game 2 is irrelevant, since obvious. Game 3 provides the thesaurus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom