• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

One cable with 8pin+8pin vs 2 cables with 8 pin?

Associate
Probably a stupid question.

But my grapics card requires 2 8pin connectors, is there any difference in using one cable that has 2x8pin connectors over using two seperate cables from the PSU?

I have a corsair 850 HX fully modular and it's a 1080ti (in case it matters)

Caporegime
Corsair HX1200i 2x 1080ti single lead, no issues
Corsair RM1000x 1x 1080ti single lead, no issues
EVGA 650G2 1x 1080ti single lead, no issues

A single lead is rated for over 300w, it isn't an issue, running 2 however can gain you a minimal max overclock advantage.

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with using two from the same cable, hell, I power an 8+8 GPU with an 8 and a 6 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what's a couple of ground pins between friends eh?

Associate
OP
I just don't understand why Corsair etc have the cable with 2x8 pins if they aren't recommended.

Is this peoplrs opinions or is there any actual facts behind separate cables being better?
Obviously I want to do it right thats why I asked. Just want some sources. I still remember one guy on Reddit that tried to convince everyone that vertical gpus ran cooler because the fans would get more air.

Caporegime
From a Corsair Rep:

Yup, those are pig tail PCI-E(6+8pin) connector, in which will be able to handle a power draw up to 300W, so you'll be fine with one cable to one card.

Each 8pin PCIE plug is rated at 150w, 18awg cable is rated to ~360w.

Depends on the max power draw of your card, using two cables will give you more overhead, but also looks more of a mess.

Soldato
I just don't understand why Corsair etc have the cable with 2x8 pins if they aren't recommended.

Is this peoplrs opinions or is there any actual facts behind separate cables being better?
Obviously I want to do it right thats why I asked. Just want some sources. I still remember one guy on Reddit that tried to convince everyone that vertical gpus ran cooler because the fans would get more air.

Only way to be sure is try both yourself ;) GPUs draw a lot of power, logic says to me a cable supplying only half the required amount will have an easier time than one supplying all of it.

Soldato
Its only bad practice if your PSU cant provide stable current over one cable, or the cables themselves are poor quality.
Assuming the cables are half decent, as long as the PSU can give the current over the cable its fine.

In-fact, most PSU's i believe dont separate the rails, so all two cables does is provide 'protection' against poor quality cables.

Soldato
Same. My last unit was 8 years old and still going strong. Didn't really want to see how long it would last though lol. It had a 7 year warranty so they obviously trusted it as well.

Yup same as me, Had my axi 860 since 2012, my new build I've put the hxi 1000 in, still a platinum psu so I'm not worried about the cable splitter setup, will continue to use that method :)

Back
Top Bottom