• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

One cable with 8pin+8pin vs 2 cables with 8 pin?

Associate
OP
Yup same as me, Had my axi 860 since 2012, my new build I've put the hxi 1000 in, still a platinum psu so I'm not worried about the cable splitter setup, will continue to use that method :)
Yeah mine is a platinum as well, im not worried about it being dangerous (as corsair wouldnt build cables like it otherwise) I just wonderd if it affected performance, I will prob carry on using one as its just more cables otherwise. Just curious.

Associate
l have powered 2x 780 Ti's, 2x 980 Ti's, 2x 1080 Ti's and now 2x 2080 Ti's using those pigtail cables on my Corsair 860i for quite a few years and so far not had a single issue in many thousands of hours of gaming.

This pc also runs 24/7 so it needs to be rock solid. Nothing wrong with the cables from my personal use.

Soldato
If a PSU comes with a cable that has a pair of 6, 6+2 or 8 pin PCIe on it then it's fine to use, the PSU is designed to pull the load along 1 set of wires. But that is not the same as using a 3rd PCIe splitter cable that takes a single PCIe plug and splits it into 2.

The former is fine, the latter is bad.

Soldato
I guess you have to test for yourself? might depend on what the manufacturer of power supply units recommend, Sea Sonic (seasonic?)state High power graphics cards (above 225 Watts) are usually outfitted with two (or three) PCIe slots. For performance and safety reasons, Sea Sonic highly recommends the use of two (or three) separate PCIe cables to connect such cards to the power supply.

Back
Top Bottom