Portable AC turning off after 3 mins

Associate
Hi all,

I’ve had our portable AC unit for 2 years and a couple of months now and all has been working fine.
Today I have tried to use it during the day (we normally only use it at night which has worked fine every night all night cooling the room constantly) and the compressor seems to only kick in for 3 minutes and then switches off (leaving it effectively on fan mode) If you turn the unit off and on it starts again but only for a maximum of 3 minutes.
Really don’t know what is causing this? At 2 years old I wouldn’t expect it to be failing?

cleaned all filters and took unit apart to check blockages etc, correct settings on (no sleep or timer and set to 15-18c as normal).
Model: Igenix 9901

thanks in advance
Dan

Last edited:
Caporegime
What do you mean sorry? And how would I solve that?

*description updated*
If it’s due to low refrigerant pressure then the compressor will be shutting off to prevent damage.

You’d need to speak to someone who services air conditioning units to resolve that.

I think your model uses R410a so it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone qualified to look at the system.

RJC

RJC

Don
It may be the thermal cut out on the compressor cycling the power resets it.

Is there a wiring diagram on the side of the unit?

Associate
OP
10000% its not on dehumidify instead of cool? As that matches that behaviour.

Otherwise is there any on-time difference between high/low fan??
On cool for certain, fan level doesn’t change anything.

We turned it back on again late last night and it has worked perfectly all night until 10am this morning which is really odd. Hoping it was just a one off but going to keep an eye on it.

Soldato
Sounds like the temperature sensor is playing up... if I leave mine on default (24) it'll cut in and out leaving the fan running but lower it to say 16 and it'll remain on continually and turn the room into an icebox. If its not doing that it sounds like the thermostat is on the blink.

Soldato
Just to note, portable A/C units seldom come with service ports, meaning a re-charge is near impossible. They are normally filled and capped. Due to them being solid pipes, unlike a car with some flexible hoses, they generally don't leak and should last many years on the gas they are filled with.

Associate
OP
Just to note, portable A/C units seldom come with service ports, meaning a re-charge is near impossible. They are normally filled and capped. Due to them being solid pipes, unlike a car with some flexible hoses, they generally don't leak and should last many years on the gas they are filled with.

That's what I thought, thanks Andy.

Associate
OP
Sounds like the temperature sensor is playing up... if I leave mine on default (24) it'll cut in and out leaving the fan running but lower it to say 16 and it'll remain on continually and turn the room into an icebox. If its not doing that it sounds like the thermostat is on the blink.
I think that was what happened too - it is working at the moment so hoping it was a one off. If it continues I will be contacting the company in the hope they can replace a faulty sensor/part.

Back
Top Bottom