• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770k upgraders?

Soldato
If you buy Ryzen2 now you will be an early adopter so expect some fettling as BIOS's AGESA's and Chipset drivers evolve. If you want plug and play, go intel as their current line-up has been out for a while and is tried and tested.

Slow boot - none for me. Though some maybe confused that when making BIOS or Ryzen Master (RM) changes the machine will cycle at the reboot stage sometimes as some settings need to change before others can. Depending on MOBO how many times it will try is adjustable and defaults vary.

RAM - this was all a bit new as I've never needed to do anything other than use XMP settings before until this build. The fact that Ryzen can use much higher clock frequencies of RAM and the infinity fabric can now decoupled from the RAM clock speed, you can get RAM to run higher from it's native speeds. Many are struggling when it comes to be able to muck about with RAM, including myself, but as an enthusiast and early adopter, this was just something new to learn. For the basics you just need to enter the primary native timings, manually. Many get the DRAM calc and try and enter all the new timings in one go (myself included). You need to enter the changes gradually and not all of them are required to get a stable OC. For mine to run native I loaded the XMP profile so that the BIOS takes the native timings, then entered the primary timings manually. 3200Mhz CL16 is plenty.

The CPU's work very well performance wise, although it seems the BIOS AGESA's were a bit late or immature for MOBO vendors. Many 'issues' are raised by enthusiasts trying to find the edge of their hardware's envelope of which you may read in the forums as issues.

Even if you bought a Ryzen2 CPU, dropped it into a MOBO with new RAM and started it up first time and ran the RAM at default with 1200Mhz IF and 2400Mhz clock speed - it would still be a noticeable (not just measurable) performance upgrade from your 3770k. No professional reviewers came across (that I can remember) seemed to raise the issue that they had issues with getting RAM to work on new RAM sets. Choose a Ryzen optimized set and for now run the RAM at it's native frequency first and leave it. Then if you become more enthusiast, then you can chase tightening timings or increasing frequencies of teh RAM and IF BUT - it's a learning curve if like me you've never done it before.

Soldato
Those that have updated, have you had any of the issues described in other threads eg slow booting, wrong ram speeds? Just can't bring myself to upgrade of I am facing a barrage of issues. I understand they may well be ironed out, but would have expected AMD to be all over the issues trying to fix motherboard issues etc. Last time I build a system it was an Intel based setup for a friend and there were none of these issues.

My board turned up yesterday so I stuck it all together, reinstalled Windows and was up and running with zero problems. I updated the BIOS and everything was left at auto with the XMP profile enabled. I didn't have much of a chance to performance test it compared to my old 4790 as I was busy redownloading everything. I did manage to run a couple quick tests on GTA V and Division 2 but at UW resolution I'm GPU limited on these games with a V64 and only saw a couple FPS increase. I imagine other games will show more of an increase, but my 4790k was at 4.5GHz vs the 3700x at stock. I had a play in Lightroom and it did feel snappier and exports felt quicker however that could be placebo effect!

Associate
OP
My board turned up yesterday so I stuck it all together, reinstalled Windows and was up and running with zero problems. I updated the BIOS and everything was left at auto with the XMP profile enabled. I didn't have much of a chance to performance test it compared to my old 4790 as I was busy redownloading everything. I did manage to run a couple quick tests on GTA V and Division 2 but at UW resolution I'm GPU limited on these games with a V64 and only saw a couple FPS increase. I imagine other games will show more of an increase, but my 4790k was at 4.5GHz vs the 3700x at stock. I had a play in Lightroom and it did feel snappier and exports felt quicker however that could be placebo effect!
Care to share what you bought eg CPU mbrd ram etc

Associate
I upgraded from a 3770k to a 5930k and saw no difference.
Then upgraded to a 8086k @ 5Ghz and it felt like a huge upgrade from the 5930k.

Still got my old 3770k in my spare PC with a 1080ti and it seems pretty faultless at 1080p on the games I've tried.

Soldato
My r9 290 gpu must holding my 8086k up big time then, like I said I didnt notice much going from a 2500k to a 2600k and then to the 8086k... But games are running smooth enough for me so far

Associate
I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade my 3770k system. It's pretty out of date now but I really want to make sure the upgrade is worth it. I'm looking at doing it properly and going with the 3800x with a X570 board with an M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD and my existing GTX1080.

Current setup:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4Ghz
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H
Sata 6 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080

Caporegime
I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade my 3770k system. It's pretty out of date now but I really want to make sure the upgrade is worth it. I'm looking at doing it properly and going with the 3800x with a X570 board with an M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD and my existing GTX1080.

Current setup:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4Ghz
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H
Sata 6 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080

Several things you need to know.

Don't bother with the 3800X, get the 3700X instead, they are the same CPU under another name, with the 3800X having slightly high clocks.

Ryzen 3000 doesn't really overclock, they have a boost algorithm that already pushed them pretty much as far as you could overclock them.

If you do any productivity work your performance will more than double.

If the 3770K is bottlenecking the 1080 then you will see that much gained in gaming performance, if not, then not.

If you upgrade to a faster GPU later on a Ryzen 3000 CPU will have much less chance of bottlenecking it, something like a 3700X is a much faster gaming CPU than the 3770K, it just depends on whether you need that performance to drive the GPU.

Associate
I've recently upgraded from a 3770k to a Ryzen 3900X.
It has been much more than a simple CPU upgrade though.

In short:
CPU goes from 3770k to 3900X
RAM goes from 32GB DDR3 1600 to 64GB DDR4 3200
GPU goes from 1080 to 2080Super
SSD goes from 1TB Crucial SATA to 2TB Corsair MP510 NVMe

The GPU upgrade was made shortly before the rest so I got to run the 2080S on the 3770k for a bit, it showed the 3770k was very much holding back performance.

Overall I'm very happy with the changes. Overall system responsiveness has improved, although the fresh copy of Win10 may be more than partially responsible.

Video encoding performance has hugely improved, I have several thousand hours of footage that I'm slowly converting to be more tablet/mobile friendly. What is very apparent is that it is now possible to do this while doing other things, something that wasn't really possible with the 3770k.

When gaming the GPU is now the bottleneck, whereas before the CPU was the bottleneck more often than not, even at very high resolutions.

Associate
What board did you go with?

I went with the ASRock x570 Taichi which I'm very happy with. I'm using BIOS 1.8 which works well for me. I have set up a custom profile for the chipset fan so that it doesn't come on until it reaches 50C (which it hasn't so far even in this warmer weather).

Permabanned
[email protected], bought an 8750H (boosts to 4.1) laptop with NVME etc, bootup is maybe a couple of seconds quicker, multitasking maybe a little quicker in windows with the 6 cores, but overall the 4770k is still good enough to keep on the desktop imho.

Associate
OP
It seems 3900x with new motherboard and ram is the same price as 9900k with same ram and new motherboard. Intel path will likely be effortless, AMD will require fettling to get it running satisfactorily. I wonder how long it will take the prices to drop on either platform?

Man of Honour
It seems 3900x with new motherboard and ram is the same price as 9900k with same ram and new motherboard.
that is correct, except if you're a frequent upgrader...
the AM4 board will likely take the ryzen 4000 chips with little hassle except a bios flash (though you do get the AMD related headaches)
whereas the intel option will require a new mobo as well.

Associate
OP
that is correct, except if you're a frequent upgrader...
the AM4 board will likely take the ryzen 4000 chips with little hassle except a bios flash (though you do get the AMD related headaches)
whereas the intel option will require a new mobo as well.
Not a frequent upgrader, so whichever route I take it will be long term, so although Intel is a dead end, I suspect by the time I want to upgrade again it would be the same new ram mboard etc. I suspect AMD will be the same?

Soldato
Not a frequent upgrader, so whichever route I take it will be long term, so although Intel is a dead end, I suspect by the time I want to upgrade again it would be the same new ram mboard etc. I suspect AMD will be the same?

Maybe as AM5 will with us in the next two years. What you get with AM4 is a drop in option of a newer and or higher end CPU upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom