Dashcams!

Man of Honour
I saw Lidl had a dashcam available when I popped in last night. Had anyone else seen it and have an idea of it's any good?

If it is the one I can see talked about elsewhere from a quick Google it uses the same internals basically as the one I'm using - it is acceptable and about as good as you could hope for for the money. The colour accuracy is LOL and quite a few compression artefacts but on the other hand it keeps the important bits of the image clear so number plates are usually readable, etc. and evens up the light balance so you don't get missing detail in areas of differing lighting conditions, etc. fairly light feature wise but enough to do the job.

Soldato
My DDPai M6 died a few weeks ago and I've been on the hunt for a better replacement.

I'd been looking at the Thinkware F770 for ages, then Amazon dropped it to £127 so I snapped one up, sadly they only dropped the plug and play version so I had to buy a hardwire kit too. Installed it today and it looks really good, sits very discreetly in my car, the M6 was hard to place in the Mondeo due to the large plastic surround behind the rear view mirror.

It will be fully tested tomorrow when I'm back at work.

I've ordered a CPL too as a quick test in the sun today showed a lot of glare.

Associate
Looking for some advice before I approach BlackVue. I've got a DR900S-2CH dashcam, hardwired into my current car. I ended up witnessing an incident but upon pulling the footage off the dashcam the footage is really jerky and missing tons of frames. At the time the dashcam was very hot and I thought it could be related to it overheating but today I pulled footage off and it's still the same. I've tried dropping the quality but that hasn't really made a lot of difference. Am I missing something? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Associate
Yes, overheating causing frames to not be recorded. Write performance is more affected by temperature than read performance. It's the same with M2 drives, hence the heatsinks.

It's constantly doing it though, I went out today (just after 6am) and the camera was cool, by the time I got to my destination a few hours later the dashcam still felt cool unlike the time before. However, the footage of the full journey was still the same (jerky/missing large numbers of frames etc) :(

Associate
Ah, that's different. Are you sure you haven't set the frame rate to 15 fps or the camera to parking mode?

It's not set to parking mode but can't see an option to set a frame rate? The only options that mention frame rate also state the resolution.

What sd card have you got in there?

The 128GB SD card that came with it.

Worth trying a different card

I will see if I can find a spare card at work tomorrow and give it a go.

Associate
How old is the card? Is it a high endurance card?

I've only had the dashcam for ~2 months, it's an official BlackVue card. It doesn't state a lot on the card itself (branded with their name). It basically looks like this:

microsd.jpg

Not had a chance to look at this yet, hoping to get a few minutes later to test a new card in it.

Soldato
Hi,

I'm in the market for a discreet dash cam that records when driving but also movement when parked up.

I would like it to mount neatly behind the rear view mirror but there is a large price of plastic housing sensors there so not sure anything will fit

I will like to hard wire it but not sure if trim needs to be removed or you can just clip wire to the trim? The car is a Honda and whether it's interior of exterior trim once it's off it never goes back right without rattles etc!

Can anyone point me in the direction for a decent 1080p camera that fits the requirements please and let me know the details of wiring it in as the biggest concern for me

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom