Is a headphone jack essential to you or just something you like complaining about?

Man of Honour
Almost essential. Only ranks below having an SD card slot.

I still like the 16:10 ratio on the original Samsung Note, the current ratios on the Samsung phones and notes are ridiculous.

Man of Honour
Almost essential. Only ranks below having an SD card slot.

I still like the 16:10 ratio on the original Samsung Note, the current ratios on the Samsung phones and notes are ridiculous.

Even with the Note 4 I miss my Note 1 - dunno why they don't just do a refreshed Note 1 with slightly more premium chassis, higher res screen, higher quality camera, 4/5G and modern speed CPU and RAM amount and leave everything else that just worked as it is.

Soldato
I couldn't care less about a headphone jack. I've got a set of Sony WH1000XM3 headphones. For anyone that desperately needs one, there are adapters.

Associate
Essential for me. Had a Pixel 2 and the adapter was rubbish from day 1 (both the official Google one and the replacements I bought online). Love having a headphone jack back (S10+)

Soldato
but, per the s10 thread and (reciprocal) usb->3.5mm thread there's no point in them putting a 3.5mm if the dac is poor quality,I'd rather go bluetooth, where the end sound quality will be down to the headphones, or external dac. ... the monies being diverted elsewhere in the build.

without conflating threads the s10 Eu exynos 3.5mm/codec are not meant to be very good, vs SD - anantech

Switching over to the Exynos Galaxy S10 however we’re seeing some pretty shocking results. The phone uses a Cirrus Logic CS47L93 audio codec chip which has actually been used in Exynos variants since the Galaxy S8. Unfortunately in recent years this was surpassed by Qualcomm’s audio chips, and in particular the Galaxy S10 suffers from a pretty bad implementation. Here we’re clearly seeing noise components that are not part of the reference 1KHz signal, with a particularly odd 250Hz component. The measurements were done in sequence with just re-plugging the input from the Snapdragon to the Exynos under the same conditions. Audio output level was calibrated at near -10dbV / 312.5mV RMS on both devices.

In practical terms, there is audible difference between the two as the Exynos unit sounds warmer (in a bad way) and more muffled. The Snapdragon achieves higher clarity and the sound stage appears wider. This was my subjective evaluation using the same Samsung’s included AKG headphones on both units, both having the same software audio settings.

I applaud Samsung for still including the 3.5mm headphone jack on the Galaxy S10 – however a big part of the world will unfortunately experience lesser audio quality on their model variants.

Associate
I don't understand peoples frustration from not having one. Just leave the dongle connected to your headphones.. That's what I do and it's virtually the same. If I want to charge it, well I'll use wireless charging or get a splitter dongle and leave that connected instead. It's like an extra 3cm, not going to do any harm.

Man of Honour
the monies being diverted elsewhere in the build.

I'd rather pay more get a decent DAC in the phone and money spent elsewhere on the build.

EDIT: Not like it is difficult or particularly expensive to have a good DAC anyhow these days - some like TI do ridiculously small, power efficient but high quality stand alone ICs and/or there are options that can be implemented as part of a bigger chipset as well, etc. there is no excuse really for having less than good audio in a phone out the box these days even at the budget end of the market.

I don't understand peoples frustration from not having one. Just leave the dongle connected to your headphones.. That's what I do and it's virtually the same. If I want to charge it, well I'll use wireless charging or get a splitter dongle and leave that connected instead. It's like an extra 3cm, not going to do any harm.

Still an extra thing to remember, even a small dongle is a bit sticking out of the phone that is additional that could be knocked or damaged, etc. (if you just leave it in) and another thing that could potentially go wrong generally - ultimately it isn't a superior option to just having a 3.5mm socket.

EDIT: Plus in most cases you will have to remove it for charging and USB ports tend to wear much quicker from unplugging and reconnecting compared to 3.5mm sockets so doubling up on the amount of times stuff is inserted doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
A unnecessary frustration from not having it, particularly at airports and on flights.
I haven't bothered turning aeroplane mode on any of my devices when on a plane in the last 10 years or so. It's really not necessary at all. I usually have at least a phone and a cellular iPad with me when I fly.

Soldato
I think it depends on a lot of factors, I definitely get audio lag using either my Bose SoundSport Free or my Bose QC35 IIs.

It's the reason I sent the Bose QC35 IIs back and gfot the Sony WH1000MX2's (now 3'). I think it's amazing you can spend £300+ on headphones and they don't have AptX. Massive audio lag with the Bose :( Sony's, you wouldn't notice it at all.

Soldato
but doesn't audio quality matter more than lag - no issue for plain music, and don't most video players have mechanism for delaying video (not utube ? but its sound is 128Kbs/poor)
... I'm assuming the bose would take a poorer quality/lower bandwidth audio codec too, (sbc) if you want lower latency.

Soldato
I used to be in the 'Never without a 3.5mm socket' camp....then I bought some Sony WH1000XM3's, and am now converted to wireless.

There have been a couple of occasions when I've gone to plug in my phone to the hifi and thought hmmm....then got round it by pairing my phone with the echo dot that's connected to the amp.

Back
Top Bottom