Ryzen 5 3600 with MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX - issue or fine?

Associate
I have all the parts, but not able as yet to assemble so I wanted to ask if those who have this setup have any issues at all as I have understood there should not be (not finding info on the net about this match up).

Thanks

Associate
I would still assemble the main parts as an open test bench (outside of case) to check they're working.

The BIOS the motherboard ships with is likely a very early version for 3rd gen compatibility, so it's probably a good idea to update to latest BIOS as well.

Associate
OP
I would still assemble the main parts as an open test bench (outside of case) to check they're working.

The BIOS the motherboard ships with is likely a very early version for 3rd gen compatibility, so it's probably a good idea to update to latest BIOS as well.

Yes, I intend to test things a bit.

Only problem I have now is that I am unable to upgrade the system any longer and must have help, so just waiting for my son to show up after work "soon" hopefully.

thanks

Associate
If by issues you mean BIOS flash then no, The 3600 will work out of the box on the MSI Max board...

What is the difference between a normal b450 and the Max boards? ive started to get really impatient with MSI on waiting for a bios to properly support my Ryzen 3000 chip

Associate
The max versions have out of the box support for the Ryzen 3000 series and a 32MB bios chip instead of 16MB to help support future bios updates since they are running out of space.

Associate
My tomahawk max won’t boot with 16gb RAM, but will with 8gb, tried both sticks individually, both worked. Hopefully this will be resolved after I update bios. Very slow post occasionally, like over a minute. Other than that it worked fine.

Associate
My tomahawk max won’t boot with 16gb RAM, but will with 8gb, tried both sticks individually, both worked. Hopefully this will be resolved after I update bios. Very slow post occasionally, like over a minute. Other than that it worked fine.
What slots are you using?

Soldato
Double-check what you've done against page 28 of the MB manual - I've just been looking at this today before ordering (stock *soon* according to CS). You need slot DIMMA2 first, then DIMMB2 second.

EDIT: I mean make sure you're on slots 2 and 4 and not 1 and 3 - it might be clear on the real motherboard, but the manual picture looked a bit ambiguous.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to mess this thread up but it turns out the ram I bought isn’t compatible with Ryzen system..I did wonder why sometimes it wouldn’t boot, and would freeze sometimes. I’ve asked to RMA the ram and getting some 8pack 3200 instead.

This is the ram I currently have.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nel-kit-black-grey-tdpgd48g320-my-074-tg.html

Can’t believe I bought the wrong item after getting specced the right stuff. My first build as well, I haven’t even turned it on for 2 days it’s been so frustrating, I assembled 3 days ago. All because of the wrong ram. Should be a good rig though.

Soldato
I don't see why that RAM would be incompatible. Have you seen somewhere that states that particular RAM has problems with Ryzen?

First gen Ryzen CPUs were picky with RAM. Second gen less so. I thought it was less of an issue now, but it probably still happens now and again.

Back
Top Bottom