Best air cooler for Ryzen

Associate
Any reason you have shortlisted the U12 rather than the D15 SE-AM4? Limited by your case?

I had a BeQuiet SilentLoop 240 which had some problems with the pump rattling. I sent it off for RMA, sold the replacement and bought a D15 for my 2600 @ 4.1GHz. I can't think of a single reason I'd go back to an AIO now. Sure, an AIO is more aesthetically pleasing but personally I don't mind a big air cooler... even if I can't see the RGB of my ROG X470-F anymore :(

Is that the big massive one? It's an option I'm going to be putting the build into a meshify c so I'll need to check if it fits

Soldato
Yeah, the D15 is huge but if it'll fit, it's worth it. Especially considering it's also cheaper than the U12. It's a fairly tight fit in my Corsair Air 540.

Soldato
Going from Cryrig H7 to Dark Rock Pro 4 is a significant increase in cooling ability. I would have expected about 5-6c improvement. Maybe your seat was not as good with C7 as Dark Rock Pro 4. Important thing you now better cooling .. and I suspect less noise too.

Associate
Thanks.

I'm in the market for a CPU cooler for my Ryzen 3700x upgrade.
I am choosing between 3 options;

£34.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-single-tower-heatsink-with-120mm-fan-hs-008-cy.html

£42.95
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

£89.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-u12a-high-performance-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-03k-nc.html

I like the Noctua even over the price, as I'm using NH D14 in my current build.
But, lowering the price for a few degrees, seems a viable option.
Kust specs that noctua on my 3700x build.

Soldato
I got the Scythe CPU cooler for my upgrade.
Liking it so far, decently quiet.

Thanks for letting us know. It's people like you telling us their impressions that helps others here make good choices.

It is posts like this that really help this forum be friendly, inclusive and helpful. Thank you for making this an all-round nicer place to be.
This conversation pleases me.

It is helpful when people report back with their experiences rather than just thinking i'm all right Jack.

Soldato
Thermalright includes a long screwdriver with their Macho coolers. Cryorig included an 'L'shaped on with their R1 and H5 coolers. Nice tools to have around.

Associate
I have just bought a 3800x and a Dark Rock Pro 4 to cool it.

after doing some research I had got it down to 3 coolers, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B, Thermalright Macho x2 and the Dark Rock Pro 4.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Associate
Soldato
Well as planned, I used the D14 with my 3900X and it performs very well and more importantly for me, it is virtually silent. Way better than the nice looking Wraith.

I also have a D15s which I will try just to see how much difference there is.

Soldato
I'm guessing other than a slight difference in sound they will cool basically the same at same noise levels. Look forward to hearing what you find out.

Soldato
Can recommend the Alpenfohn Brocken 2 PCGH Edition Dual Fan CPU if you're looking for an AM4 cooler on a budget (you'll need to purchase the additional AM4 mounting kit as well).

I don't have a high end CPU (Ryzen 2600) but it keeps my load temps around 60 when fully loaded under Prime.

Back
Top Bottom