• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
This is from here.

Shows that even a 2070 Super can get playable fps at 1400p with DLSS on it's max setting which is high in Control.

index.png

On the subject of what I posted previously, THIS was the reason why I thought DLSS existed. It was a accompanying technology for RT.

Soldato
Had to make sure the youtube resolution was set to 1440p and then set it again to 4K thinking that might be some issue with the stream auto setting it to 480p.
The textures are abysmal, 7 year old games have better textures. And that "fog" making the whole image looking like we drop a smoke grenade, very big pile of .......

Semantics, I think the game looks great. The game developers are obviously using a blur filter across the whole screen (and not low quality textures), that is their design choice.
If you don't like it, use a sharpening filter

Soldato
I thought DLSS was invented to bump fps when using RTX?

Not necessarily to sharpen image.

But maybe downsampling and sharpening is the way to go.
Well, the point that video makes is that rendering the game at 70% resolution and using the new sharpening filter results in an image that looks better than DLSS whilst performing the same as it. So you get the performance bump that comes with rendering at a lower resolution without giving up as much image quality, which essentially makes DLSS irrelevant.

Soldato
Well, the point that video makes is that rendering the game at 70% resolution and using the new sharpening filter results in an image that looks better than DLSS whilst performing the same as it. So you get the performance bump that comes with rendering at a lower resolution without giving up as much image quality, which essentially makes DLSS irrelevant.

That's not even a valid comparison though?

Let's take control for instance - the internal render for DLSS at 4k is 2560x1440.
So you're comparing 4k DLSS to 70% of 4k then it's not apples to apples because 70% of 4k is 2688 x 1512

Of course it's going to look better when it's a higher resolution. If the performance is the same though, then DLSS is just crap lol - because a higher resolution and sharpen filter is performing like a lower resolution DLSS would.

The only benefit DLSS offers is it's a one button option. Trying to downscale games and add sharpening filters can be time consuming if the game doesn't natively support it.

Man of Honour
RIS Anti Lag Trix Boost Free Sync vs Gsync DLSS RT.... luckily AMD is open source or Nvidia would have **** their pants.

Eh?

The only thing nVidia might have "borrowed" from AMD is the sharpening stuff. Albeit AMD releasing the anti-lag feature seems to have pushed nVidia into releasing a similar feature but they certainly don't need to crib from AMD's code for that one.

Soldato
Eh?

The only thing nVidia might have "borrowed" from AMD is the sharpening stuff. Albeit AMD releasing the anti-lag feature seems to have pushed nVidia into releasing a similar feature but they certainly don't need to crib from AMD's code for that one.

Nor did they steal gsync from Freesync or Ray Tracing from whomever wants to claim they did it first

Man of Honour
Nor did they steal gsync from Freesync or Ray Tracing from whomever wants to claim they did it first

I have to say AMD releasing anti-lag has worked out sweet for me - couple of games I play nVidia's ultra low latency mode really improves how responsive the game feels (and they didn't feel bad before).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The only benefit DLSS offers is it's a one button option. Trying to downscale games and add sharpening filters can be time consuming if the game doesn't natively support it.
And how many games natively support DLSS? Or even a better question how many games support DLSS that is not a blurry mess? So far as far as I can see the answer is one, metro, as that is the only one people seem to bang on about when giving examples of how great DLSS is :p

Until nvidia starts supporting most triple a games near release with metro quality DLSS, not many will take it seriously imo. Nvidia either need to put in a lot more effort and resources or just move on and use the downscaling and sharpening method.

I am actually hoping they get it to work properly for Cyberpunk 2077, Bloodlines 2 and Dying Light 2. Those are some of the games I look forward to and will be playing at 4K so good quality DLSS would be nice. Not holding my breath however. They may get it working for my 2nd play-throughs :p

Soldato

That has been known about for a while :)

DLSS is kinda pointless. They spent all that time developing it and the better solution already existed :D

Soldato
That's not even a valid comparison though?
Of course it is, don't be daft. They matched performance between the two and then compared image quality. What you're saying only makes DLSS look even worse, since it has to render at an even lower base resolution to achieve the same performance, whilst offering up signficantly worse image quality. If they lowered the resolution further on the sharpened image then it still wouldn't be "apples to apples" because it'd now be outperforming DLSS too.

Associate
OP
for some reason i cant get nvidea sharpening to work with the windows store version of metro exodus.

i have it working with everything else and its very good from the tests i have done. for example assassins creed odyssey looks identical at 4k or at a 80% resolution modifier with sharpening applied.

its a shame that you have to run geforce experience though as i do get game crashes when running that software

Soldato
I played Control last night and played it for hours, ray tracing graphics is amazing and I am very surprised it ran very smooth at 70 fps at 1080p with all graphics option maxed out in 1st play. Turned on DLSS and I am very impressed with image quality, it ran at 150 fps at 1080p then moved on to 1440p get 45 fps and turned on DLSS boosted fps to 70 fps, but at 4K it was unplayable at 20 fps and turned on DLSS 1440p scaling get 40 fps and DLSS 1080p scaling get 60 fps. Impressive.

I loved played Quantum Break many times and Control blew me away with all ray tracing effects enabled, that with ray tracing lightings, reflections, shadows and it added new ray tracing effect called debris which is first time it use in Control.

I really think Control is the ray tracing killer game that has best showcase of ray tracing. Thank you Remedy and Nvidia.

I am tired of all negative posts. Ray Tracing and DLSS is WORKED this gen!

Back
Top Bottom