*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Hey, so I'm at a loss just inputting the pppoe user and pass in to edgerouter 4 basic wizard is getting me nowhere. Can anyone who has a similar router and fttp help. I don't really want to have to pay someone to configure my hardware, is that even a thing? But any help greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how to connect a USG with sky fibre please? Do I just need to change the sky router IP to something other than 192.168.0.1 and connect the USG between the sky router and my switch? Anything else I need to configure? Thanks.

Soldato
The PPPoE thing is notorious.

Completely reset the USG. Then enter the PPPoE username and password and then leave it. It can take 10 minutes or 10 hours but it will sort itself out eventually.

Hey, so I'm at a loss just inputting the pppoe user and pass in to edgerouter 4 basic wizard is getting me nowhere. Can anyone who has a similar router and fttp help. I don't really want to have to pay someone to configure my hardware, is that even a thing? But any help greatly appreciated.
E

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how to connect a USG with sky fibre please? Do I just need to change the sky router IP to something other than 192.168.0.1 and connect the USG between the sky router and my switch? Anything else I need to configure? Thanks.

Just make sure the USG is set to DHCP in the initial setup screen. Otherwise, that’s it.

Okay so I had a play after everyone went to bed.

AP AC LR was relocated to the garage and in exchange the AP AC Lite was put on the hallway

All AP's were hard reset and removed physically.

Old WiFi settings removed in favor of a single SSID and password.

I brought all the AP's back online and then added them to the network one at a time.

Using SSIDer i again selected the best channel and bandwidth overall which was the same settings, so under each AP i made this change.

So far it's been spot on and the WiFi metrics reports 99%. My USG has shipped but yet to arrive. Still hunting a switch.

I want to try and drop a weight and string from the loft down to the front room behind the dot and dab. Ideally i can ditch anything being present in the front room then and it's all directly in the loft. I can also lose the home plugs and have gig connection all round which will help even more.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Hi All.

Any of you guys using the cloud key gen2? If so, which sd cards if any are you using for backups, any advice on which to buy for this kind of setup? Thanks in advance for any helpful input/advice.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I've set up a cloud key and it all works fine, but I can't seem to access it going via the local IP address i.e.my username and password don't work. Can go through ubnt and log in fine though. Have I missed something?

Associate
I've set up a cloud key and it all works fine, but I can't seem to access it going via the local IP address i.e.my username and password don't work. Can go through ubnt and log in fine though. Have I missed something?

If you can login via the cloud then have a look in settings > admins for your local username. You can always just add another super administrator.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Personally, I don’t use the Gen2, I always spec a Gen2+. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive, but you get a 1Tb hard drive and the issue of which dodgy SD card to use doesn’t really arise anymore.

Yeah was keeping cost down tbh, rather than put money into the gen2+ just get a sd card was my thinking as they can be had cheap enough.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Then just buy a cheap one and replace it every 6 months. It’s not nearly so important now that the Cloud Key Gen 2 shuts down nicely on battery power.
Thanks for that info, I obviously knew of the shut down on battery power though thought that was only for power outages.

Soldato
Thanks for that info, I obviously knew of the shut down on battery power though thought that was only for power outages.

Indeed. Previously the Cloud Key would just shut down and it was vital that you had a backup in case the MongoDB was corrupted when the power went off. Now the power shuts down nicely there is no longer the terror that the database is corrupted and you need to restore from the backup.

All that said, over dozens of power failures I only had a bad shutdown once, so maybe the risk was over-stated.

Soldato
The big pro is integration. It just works together.

The big con is if it doesn’t do it, you need to be a dab hand writing linux scripts to modify the JSON file with. Although, to be fair, it’s the same with the EdgeRouter. If it’s not in the GUI, you need to code it.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Indeed. Previously the Cloud Key would just shut down and it was vital that you had a backup in case the MongoDB was corrupted when the power went off. Now the power shuts down nicely there is no longer the terror that the database is corrupted and you need to restore from the backup.

All that said, over dozens of power failures I only had a bad shutdown once, so maybe the risk was over-stated.

That's the thing about these bits of tech, it comes with added memory afaik 2Gb, in anyones opinion is this sufficient or in reality as stated by WJA96 the gen2+ with it's 1Tb is a requirement? This setup of mine is only for personal use, so 64Gb enough?

Soldato
That's the thing about these bits of tech, it comes with added memory afaik 2Gb, in anyones opinion is this sufficient or in reality as stated by WJA96 the gen2+ with it's 1Tb is a requirement? This setup of mine is only for personal use, so 64Gb enough?

Each backup is about 30kb. You definitely don’t need the 1Tb HDD, but if you’re buying a new UCK, personally I would always spend the extra.

For YEARS tens of thousands of people have run perfectly happily with the UCK Gen1. The supplied card was 8Gb, then became 16Gb because it gave a touch more headroom. 16Gb is plenty.

Back
Top Bottom