*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Caporegime
I dislike most TV companies these days, but the real issue is rearing up for Sky is due to on-demand still be a joke from them, they need to ditch the dish completely and offer a full I.P. service to those that can get the connection speeds, and roll out the TV apps more widely. As we've found out for the past 15 years+ of HD being available Sky are not interested in providing quality, just marketing buzz at the cheapest cost while fleecing the end user for rubbish quality. The fact they still charge for HD as an add speaks volumes about how they operate.

The other issue they have is rubbish broadband offerings, £99 with Virgin gets you every TV channel going, 2 TiVO boxes, 500Mb broadband, a landline with unlimited calls, and a great 4G SIM only deal with unlimited everything that includes tethering, and the sweetener is the 12 month contract.

All the Sky on demand stuff is through the internet actually, so loosing the dish will not help anything on that side of things.

None of the on demand, or Netflix, or Sky Store stuff comes through the dish.

They still charge for HD as up until literally start of this year, they had more customers with SD sky than with HD boxes.

Caporegime
Cut the cord a few weeks ago. The wait times were long and I got redirected to a few people but the guy in the end was quite nice. My prices were close to 140 including internet from 90 a month. The lack of HDR or higher bitrate or better movies on UHD turned me off to Sky Cinema. The cost of keeping just F1 in UHD was unreasonable due to the packaged I needed to keep. In the end, I couldn't make the math work so just walked away with a broadband contract with higher speeds but lower cost. I'll take it.

What Sky needs to do to remain relevant:
- Decouple UHD form multi room. I was paying a notable premium for 1 Sky Q box There was some rumour of this happening earlier this year but it's never come to fruition.
- Sky Cinema to have high profiles movies and in UHD/HDR Sky is at the mercy of the studios who, as always, won't make UHD/HDR while the market is small
- The mobile App with unskippable long ads is unacceptable I absolutely agree which is why I rarely watch catch up content on it.
- Increased bit rate on UHD content. It's getting more and more compressed with artifacts clearly visible from a normal viewing distance Not sure if the technical issues or bandwidth limited

Responses

Soldato
All the Sky on demand stuff is through the internet actually, so loosing the dish will not help anything on that side of things.

None of the on demand, or Netflix, or Sky Store stuff comes through the dish.

Missing the key point where I said "full I.P. service" and "TV apps" I can watch the majority of BBC/ITC/C4/C5 etc live without a dish, and you can watch Sports etc through the app, but you have to have a home install which is just stupid in this day and age.

They still charge for HD as up until literally start of this year, they had more customers with SD sky than with HD boxes.

What relevance has the uptake of the service got to do with why they still charge for something that is getting on for 15 years old? It would be like mobile phone providers still trying to charge 10p per SMS. There is literally no defence for the extra charge at all when all the standard channels are HD, and some non-premium are even HD and have been for sometime. A chargeable premium feature like 4K, understandable but 720p 15 years down the line... nah..

Soldato
There is literally no defence for the extra charge at all when all the standard channels are HD, and some non-premium are even HD and have been for sometime. A chargeable premium feature like 4K, understandable but 720p 15 years down the line... nah..

I agree with you that it is scandalous, but the only defence a company requires is profit. They make more money from charging than by not charging and the reason they can do so is because Sky really doesn't have much competition.

Soldato
I think sky just have an add-on marketting strategy ... you have to ignore the add-on price and compare the total with their competitors,
they use the HD, mini-box, box-sets, install cost, to obfuscate the total.
... whether the new apple subscription service will force them to rationalise their pricing, not sure, the apple content looks limited,
no evidence of large back catalogue of shows, that would entice me.

(my local fish and chip shop now appear to sell fries as an add-on when they used to be clearly listed as included with fried fish ... do they decide on a customer by customer basis)

Soldato
I think sky just have an add-on marketting strategy ... you have to ignore the add-on price and compare the total with their competitors,
they use the HD, mini-box, box-sets, install cost, to obfuscate the total.
... whether the new apple subscription service will force them to rationalise their pricing, not sure, the apple content looks limited,
no evidence of large back catalogue of shows, that would entice me.

(my local fish and chip shop now appear to sell fries as an add-on when they used to be clearly listed as included with fried fish ... do they decide on a customer by customer basis)
Absolutely, but it's without doubt that HD is more or less the minimum standard expected now. It's even a struggle to buy a TV below 4k from the high street these days. It's like charging a premium for black and white when colour has been broadcast for 15years.

I think it's all in the language of the contract though. Sky would do well to just ditch the whole add-on of HD as an option. I understand the point our resident reps make about old people not wanting HD, etc, but I'd be surprised if the numbers supported that claim.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its almost 2yrs since I left Sky, I seem to get a postal offer about every 2-3 weeks with offers of great deals. Current offer, in my hand, 'come back to sky TV for £37pm, Sky Entertainment/ Cinema / Sports, 'Get your offer by 15th September 2019' So I go online and start a chat and ask about the offer and he says, 'Have you been away from Sky for less than 18 months' I say no its almost 2yrs, ah well you are not eligible for that offer and you need to phone to get it anyway. Why send me an offer that I cannot take and I do not do phone calls with Sky due to misunderstandings with accents, including mine. The cynical among us may think these offers are only to entice us to contact them so they can sell you more than you need. The chat guy then offers me the same deal for £54pm, you couldn't make it up. I would have taken that deal for £37pm Sky Entertainment/Sports/Cinema but Sky make it very very difficult for themselves. Ah well I have cancelled my Virgin Media as they have put up their prices and they are almost as bad. Phoned them to reduce my package as I may be about to retire and need to cut the cost in half, the guy comes back and offers me their new ultimate package @ £99pm which is more than I currently pay. I chose to cancel. The truth is neither of them deserve my money.

Caporegime
Its almost 2yrs since I left Sky, I seem to get a postal offer about every 2-3 weeks with offers of great deals. Current offer, in my hand, 'come back to sky TV for £37pm, Sky Entertainment/ Cinema / Sports, 'Get your offer by 15th September 2019' So I go online and start a chat and ask about the offer and he says, 'Have you been away from Sky for less than 18 months' I say no its almost 2yrs, ah well you are not eligible for that offer and you need to phone to get it anyway. Why send me an offer that I cannot take and I do not do phone calls with Sky due to misunderstandings with accents, including mine. The cynical among us may think these offers are only to entice us to contact them so they can sell you more than you need. The chat guy then offers me the same deal for £54pm, you couldn't make it up. I would have taken that deal for £37pm Sky Entertainment/Sports/Cinema but Sky make it very very difficult for themselves. Ah well I have cancelled my Virgin Media as they have put up their prices and they are almost as bad. Phoned them to reduce my package as I may be about to retire and need to cut the cost in half, the guy comes back and offers me their new ultimate package @ £99pm which is more than I currently pay. I chose to cancel. The truth is neither of them deserve my money.
You can take one of my introduce a friend offers now if you’d prefer? 54% off tv? Details in the sticky post at the top of home cinema and high.

Soldato
Thanks for the kind offer Misschief but I have no idea how to go about getting all that sorted, had a look but dont understand how it works or what to do. I like simple which is why I get so frustrated with Sky. I mean just put offers on the website that I can order with a click, anything remotely complicated and I get in a fuddle. Sorry but thats the way I am. That £37pm offer for Entertainment/Cinema/Sports was on the Sky website for new customers to order but disappeared before I went to order even though it said offer available until 15/9/2019. I will wait a few days and see if it returns, if not, i took a broadband deal with Nowtv and they have sent some really good tv deals to me in an email. The only issue I have with Nowtv is they are only 720p, which is very poor in this day and age. Also if Sky dont come up with an online offer then I could put up with Nowtv entertainment for £5.99 offer with their broadband. Thanks again for your kind offer.

Soldato
Misschief, you need to do something about this, it is getting hilarious now. Latest saga, online is working again and having been told by the guy on the chatline that I am not eligible for the £37pm Entertainment/Sports/Cinema deal because I am over 18 months away from Sky and that makes me a new customer (1 month short of 2yrs) I decide to go for the online Sports/entertainment deal @£42pm and choose to add SkyQ Experience and a 2TB box, now £55pm + £20 one off, so I put in the necessary details hit the button and BAM!! ERROR, IT WOULD APPEAR YOU MAY BE AN EXISTING CUSTOMER, you will have to contact us on ...........phone number. But wait, they have already confirmed I am a new customer aaaaaaargh!!!!!!! I know, get the missus to take the deal, she has never ever had an account with Sky and has a different email address from mine, haha I will beat you Sky and get a deal without having to phone you hahahahha. NOPE wife is apparantly a customer of Sky as well. I will not give in, I will do a chat tomorrow explain all this rubbish and demand a DEAL. Tune in tomorrow folks for the latest episode of CAN YOU GET A DEAL FROM SKY.

Associate
Thanks for the kind offer Misschief but I have no idea how to go about getting all that sorted, had a look but dont understand how it works or what to do. I like simple which is why I get so frustrated with Sky. I mean just put offers on the website that I can order with a click, anything remotely complicated and I get in a fuddle. Sorry but thats the way I am. That £37pm offer for Entertainment/Cinema/Sports was on the Sky website for new customers to order but disappeared before I went to order even though it said offer available until 15/9/2019. I will wait a few days and see if it returns, if not, i took a broadband deal with Nowtv and they have sent some really good tv deals to me in an email. The only issue I have with Nowtv is they are only 720p, which is very poor in this day and age. Also if Sky dont come up with an online offer then I could put up with Nowtv entertainment for £5.99 offer with their broadband. Thanks again for your kind offer.

I had something similar to this few years ago and sky said offer was only until premiership football season started so offer was now finished. I had the leaflet to hand and offer date was September. I told them I wanted that offer and if they didn't give it I'd be reporting them to advertising standards for false advertising and lo and behold I was given that offer.

Associate
Misschief, you need to do something about this, it is getting hilarious now. Latest saga, online is working again and having been told by the guy on the chatline that I am not eligible for the £37pm Entertainment/Sports/Cinema deal because I am over 18 months away from Sky and that makes me a new customer (1 month short of 2yrs) I decide to go for the online Sports/entertainment deal @£42pm and choose to add SkyQ Experience and a 2TB box, now £55pm + £20 one off, so I put in the necessary details hit the button and BAM!! ERROR, IT WOULD APPEAR YOU MAY BE AN EXISTING CUSTOMER, you will have to contact us on ...........phone number. But wait, they have already confirmed I am a new customer aaaaaaargh!!!!!!! I know, get the missus to take the deal, she has never ever had an account with Sky and has a different email address from mine, haha I will beat you Sky and get a deal without having to phone you hahahahha. NOPE wife is apparantly a customer of Sky as well. I will not give in, I will do a chat tomorrow explain all this rubbish and demand a DEAL. Tune in tomorrow folks for the latest episode of CAN YOU GET A DEAL FROM SKY.

I had this issue - my wife is/was a customer and I am signing up as a new customer. I posted the same thing over on hotukdeals:

it’s because your email, phone number or (sur)name is identical to the one registered on your existing “address”(account).
To get around it you can type in an “incorrect” name initially (or phone number / email).

This will trick the system.

You then proceed through the ordering pages and select your installation date. Then proceed to the next page.

Only now when you are reviewing the order do you press “back” on your browser several times until you get to the page where you can amend your details (email, name, phone number).

Now you fix your personal details and enter the correct ones. Then proceed through the pages, select your installation date again.

And pay.

Recommend to use a pc as you can always open up a chat screen with their helpful agents if you get stuck.
(This workaround was explained to me by an agent on the online chat when I encountered this issue)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks that worked a treat, except when I changed my address back to 4 from 6 it wouldn't accept it so my neighbour is getting Sky installed oh and for some reason my phone number is a digit out. Heyho. Woohoooooooooooooooo........finally got an order in without having to phone someone. However, on my sky account details everything is correct.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your Sky TV

Sky Entertainment
£27.00

18 months In-Contract discount
-£5.00

18 months Sky Entertainment Subscription Discounted
-£7.00
£15.00

Sky Q Multiscreen Pack
£13.00

Sky HD
£5.00

18 months Sky HD Subscription Discounted
-£1.00
£4.00

Sky Sports - Complete Pack
£28.00

-£7.00
£21.00

Sky Sports HD
£6.00

Ongoing Sky Sports HD Subscription Discounted
-£4.00
£2.00

Interesting how many times you pay for HD, Sky Sports HD £6 -£4 =£2. SkyHD £5 -£1 = £4 and of course Sky Multiscreen (AKA SkyQ Experience/UHD) £13 Grand total for HD/UHD= £19pm!! Is this really a good deal? Thoughts? Total= £55pm + £20 setup upfront. Actually I forgot to add my Broadband/Phone/Calls package (with Nowtv) @ £33pm Total Whole lot= £88pm, jesus thats too much. May have to cancel under the 14 day rule, that is not a good deal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your Sky TV

Sky Entertainment
£27.00

-£5.00

18 months Sky Entertainment Subscription Discounted
-£7.00
£15.00

Sky Q Multiscreen Pack
£13.00

Sky HD
£5.00

18 months Sky HD Subscription Discounted
-£1.00
£4.00

Sky Sports - Complete Pack
£28.00

-£7.00
£21.00

Sky Sports HD
£6.00

Ongoing Sky Sports HD Subscription Discounted
-£4.00
£2.00

Interesting how many times you pay for HD, Sky Sports HD £6 -£4 =£2. SkyHD £5 -£1 = £4 and of course Sky Multiscreen (AKA SkyQ Experience/UHD) £13 Grand total for HD/UHD= £19pm!! Is this really a good deal? Thoughts? Total= £55pm + £20 setup upfront. Actually I forgot to add my Broadband/Phone/Calls package (with Nowtv) @ £33pm Total Whole lot= £88pm, jesus thats too much. May have to cancel under the 14 day rule, that is not a good deal.
£55 for me with broadband (sky fibre max) but no sports. I'd ask for the installation fee to be discounted too.

K4cBlya.png

Associate
Pretty disgusted with Sky at the moment.
Phoned up last week as my £68 package deal was ending, up to £108 full price.
After the usual faff on for 30 minutes, got the same package for another 18 month deal for £62. £6 less than my previous deal.
Went to check my account today, lo and behold I’m being charged £80 a month. Not £62. Proper scammed.
So back on the phone tonight I go.

Back
Top Bottom