• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
For Vega 56/64, the "memory voltage" is actually a core voltage floor. Memory voltage is fixed by the VBIOS (1.2 V for V56, 1.35 V for V64). "Memory voltage" should be set to equal your P6 voltage.
My vega on firestrike normal pushes like 25k max score and on timespy 7500 and thats max. I know some vegas do 28k i cant get near that. maybe I need more cpu

Soldato
I bagged the Sapphire Pulse in the end as it came down in price. Delivery will be on Tuesday though...
Correction, they now say it's arriving today, happy days...

Last edited:
Soldato
This Sapphire pulse is starting to **** me off I wish I took it back within 14 days, the coil whine is not that loud but the noise it makes doesn't help my tinnitus. Would under volting help or should i just sell this I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

Associate
I've just ordered a B Grade Vega 56 for a stonking £180. Can anyone advice on testing it for coil whine and instability issues. It's probably beyond my needs given I game at 1080p/60hz

Soldato
Has anyone had their Vega 56 overclock/undervolt become unstable? I was playing with the memory settings on my new rig recently and couldn't seem to get game-stable despite being stress-test-stable. After about a day of tweaking with no joy, I decided to go back to my known stable settings...except it's still crashing in games. I then tried going back to stock GPU settings and so far it's been stable, indicating that the problem is actually with my GPU overclock/undervolt (which has been stable for nearly a year). I tried raising the voltages a couple of notches and reducing the VRAM speed a couple of notches, but it didn't seem to help. Right now only stock GPU settings seems to be stable.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Associate
Has anyone had their Vega 56 overclock/undervolt become unstable? I was playing with the memory settings on my new rig recently and couldn't seem to get game-stable despite being stress-test-stable. After about a day of tweaking with no joy, I decided to go back to my known stable settings...except it's still crashing in games. I then tried going back to stock GPU settings and so far it's been stable, indicating that the problem is actually with my GPU overclock/undervolt (which has been stable for nearly a year). I tried raising the voltages a couple of notches and reducing the VRAM speed a couple of notches, but it didn't seem to help. Right now only stock GPU settings seems to be stable.

I've not had many chances to play over the past year but managed to play some elite and destiny 2 recently and with my UC of 1050, 1100 and 50% it has crashed a number of times. This a reference v56 with v64 bios.

I did come across another forum that suggests others have had similar issues recently so nice to know it's not my system overclock.

Soldato
Tried tomb raider benchmark. Hows these results? @high but blur off and low hair on my 3570k at 4.4ghz

1440p 75hz.

Then this at highest preset.

You can see that the CPU can mostly keep up with the GPU, except in the end area with lots of NPCs. If you look at the bottom graph, whenever the orange line (GPU) is above the green one (CPU) that means the CPU can handle it. That's why "GPU bound" changes when you change the settings, indicating whether you need more GPU power to properly outclass the CPU in all scenarios.

This happens all the time for lots of people when they update drivers. Either way Vega/Polaris have been abandoned by AMD for the foreseeable future so I'd avoid driver updates unless they're major overhauls (none on the horizon atm). For now, 19.5.1 is the recommended version for those users. Newer ones - you're playing with fire vis-a-vis stability & performance.

Soldato
This happens all the time for lots of people when they update drivers. Either way Vega/Polaris have been abandoned by AMD for the foreseeable future so I'd avoid driver updates unless they're major overhauls (none on the horizon atm). For now, 19.5.1 is the recommended version for those users. Newer ones - you're playing with fire vis-a-vis stability & performance.
I haven't updated my GPU drivers on this machine, still running 19.7.2. I tried a "reset UEFI to defaults" and re-enabled my standard GPU overclock/undervolt and now everything seems fine. Will try to up my RAM speed again and see if it is happy or not!

Associate
I haven't updated my GPU drivers on this machine, still running 19.7.2. I tried a "reset UEFI to defaults" and re-enabled my standard GPU overclock/undervolt and now everything seems fine. Will try to up my RAM speed again and see if it is happy or not!

I've learned that sometimes when playing with settings that ultimately result in some form of crash, I have to uninstall my drivers and do a fresh install. And if it's something like an Origin game that was being played when the crash happened, I have to clear my origin cache and maybe do a game repair.

Associate
This Sapphire pulse is starting to **** me off I wish I took it back within 14 days, the coil whine is not that loud but the noise it makes doesn't help my tinnitus. Would under volting help or should i just sell this I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

What power supply do you have? Coil whine can be made *much* worse by a marginal power supply.

Soldato
They're decent, it is unlikely thats causing the problem / making it worse.

Undervolting is certainly worth trying. You should undervolt Vega anyway, it reduces power consumption / heat and nets you better performance, to a point.

Yeah i think i will do it just been lazy, I hope it does stop the coil whine i can't stand it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom