****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
oooh, it was the range, it was the sublight chase, with the benny hill music, they couldn't fire, as somehow it is ineffective against sheields at that range, and they could send one of their ships to hypersepdd to mash the final rebel fleet, as no one invented that until the end of the movie... shame...

Caporegime
oooh, it was the range, it was the sublight chase, with the benny hill music, they couldn't fire, as somehow it is ineffective against sheields at that range, and they could send one of their ships to hypersepdd to mash the final rebel fleet, as no one invented that until the end of the movie... shame...

I just wonder how much cocaine was snorted off kathy kennedys arse during the creation of that script.

Soldato
For me:-

Excellent: Empire Strikes Back, Rogue One, A New Hope
Good: Return of the Jedi
Decent: Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens, Solo
Poor: The Last Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones

Soldato
I liked Rogue One but that's it. TFA, TLJ and Solo just don't feel like Star Wars to me. In my mind, it all ended after RotJ. I've just realised that the new Disney SW situation feels exactly the same as when Karrimor got bought by the guy who owns Sports Direct. The name is the same but the quality tanked. At least he had the decency to drop the price though whilst Disney are just increasing their price gouging and money hunger/obsession.

Also, the more I think on it, the more that rumour about Disney killing off everything from Lucas' time to avoid royalty fees seems to explain so many of the choices in the sequels. Like the near absence of 'familiar' alien species.

The D23 footage has just confirmed my decision to give this a miss at the cinema.

Caporegime
Looking at that clip of the Star Destroyers they appear to be all powered down, only lights coming from a few of them. Wouldn't surprise me if they're mostly just "parked" there unmanned. Probably see the rebels hijacking a few to bring to the final fight.

Soldato
I've been pretty neutral on the new films, theyve been ok, but as I've said before I find most star wars stuff average anyway.

That trailer though... They no longer have a clue and have let themselves be utterly tied in knots by their fans. I don't know if they ever had a plan but the three films are just rehashing the original trilogy to keep old fans happy, which they never will be, and as such have made no efforts to actually make a new story with any coherence.

The fact that this should be a huge film and two thirds of the trailer is showing the old films to keep the fans happy is just embarrassing.

I struggle to think how they could have made a worse trilogy. Theyve picked a halfway house and as such failed to attract many new fans and also alienated their old fanbase. They'll have to look back at this and realise what a horrible job they've made of such a golden opportunity. I will watch the last film but I go in expecting utter, utter tripe.

Soldato
I thought TLJ was alright when I watched it, but have not been at all excited about SW since then. Didn't even bother watching Solo. So I guess it actually wasn't very good.

My son, who was bang into SW at the time also noticeably went off the boil with it after TLJ.

That said, we'd have gone to see Solo if it had released at Xmas like the others - it had turned into a bit of a family tradition to go see the new SW between Xmas and New Years. Was a stupid move releasing when they did.

Soldato
I don't know if they ever had a plan but the three films are just rehashing the original trilogy to keep old fans happy, which they never will be, and as such have made no efforts to actually make a new story with any coherence.

I don't think any "old fans" (myself included) wanted a re-hash of the OT, that was the biggest "old fan" complaint about Ep7 - that it was just a rehash of Ep4 - and I think the "old fans" wanted to see a continuation of the 3 main characters story leading into a slow "passing of the torch" moment to a new generation.

Instead none of that really happened in a logical progression i.e. Ep7 Main story about old 3 stars and intro to new stars - Ep8 hand-over between old stars and new - Ep9 new stars fully take over and old stars bow out with a "ride into the sunset" etc so instead we end up with ridiculous situations like we never get to see all 3 old stars together (HOW????) or we get new stars forced into prominence without feeling that they "earned" that prominence vs the old stars yet and so it's a mess.

I agree with the rest of your post BTW!

Soldato
Looking at that clip of the Star Destroyers they appear to be all powered down, only lights coming from a few of them. Wouldn't surprise me if they're mostly just "parked" there unmanned. Probably see the rebels hijacking a few to bring to the final fight.
Yeah cos how complicated is it to power up and fly a star destroyer? Oh wait Rey knows how to operate and expertly fly every spacecraft in the galaxy.

Soldato
I don't think any "old fans" (myself included) wanted a re-hash of the OT, that was the biggest "old fan" complaint about Ep7 - that it was just a rehash of Ep4 - and I think the "old fans" wanted to see a continuation of the 3 main characters story leading into a slow "passing of the torch" moment to a new generation.

Instead none of that really happened in a logical progression i.e. Ep7 Main story about old 3 stars and intro to new stars - Ep8 hand-over between old stars and new - Ep9 new stars fully take over and old stars bow out with a "ride into the sunset" etc so instead we end up with ridiculous situations like we never get to see all 3 old stars together (HOW????) or we get new stars forced into prominence without feeling that they "earned" that prominence vs the old stars yet and so it's a mess.

I agree with the rest of your post BTW!

Yeah fair point, you've made my point better than I did, as you say I think older fans wanted a continuation of the Luke story for the new trilogy, the amount of focus on that (1, 2 or even all 3 films) depended on the particular fan :p

It's a shame and despite my general ambivalence toward SW I do enjoy the films and hopes the new ones would hook my kids. As it is they prefer episode 2 & 3 (he likes Clones, don't blame him he's only young :p)

Back
Top Bottom