Phone stolen in Paris.

Soldato
Hi.

I’ve just had my phone stolen in Paris and i am locked out of all my account because of google authenticator. My phone was finger print and password locked.

Will they just want the phone for the hardware and wipe it or can they access my info on the phone? I have coinbase and revolut setup on the phone plus Amazon and all my emails etc. I am just worrying they could get access to that.

I have tried using google to wipe my phone but my number is not available and my other email address is locked to GA as well so I cannot access that.

Edit - I have managed to get google to looking at cancelling my account by setting up another email address and having a code sent to that. They say it will take 3 - 5 days for a response.

This whole thing has ruined a good holiday.

Caporegime
Don't have any backup codes for 2fa handy or that someone you can trust can access?

As above they won't be able to access your phone... unless they have your finger print.

Soldato
They'll need access to the phone in an unlocked state to do that. They'll need to enable USB debugging & even if that's already unlocked, they'll need to approve the PC on the phone trying to access it via ADB.

Can you not do it via recovery, I'm sure there's a way to crack the PW without getting into phone.

Soldato
Pretty sure you can't, if it were that simple then it would be a massive security flaw and widely reported.

I flashed my Pixel 3 using fastboot the other week and I had to enable USB debugging and approve the computer's RSA key before I could do anything. This all had to be done via the phone.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys. Thanks for your responses.

I got home from Paris yesterday. Yes I was a total noob for forgetting to take my backup codes for GA - lesson learnt. I have recovered my Google account and on looking at the security page it looks like they tried a few passwords 10 minutes after it was stolen but they never got in and then the phone disappears. So it probably been wiped and sold for parts maybe. Also, @MrRockliffe is correct that on newer versions of Android, if the phone is hard reset from recovery you need to use the Google account that was previously on the phone prior to the hard reset if you want to use the phone. Any other account will not work (I've been caught by this after buying a phone off ebay), but I think there could be ways around this via some hacks.

So if you are thinking of going to Paris look after your phone and take the backup codes.

Back
Top Bottom