Advice needed please - Qashqai (or similar)

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Hi All,

Looking for some advice/help on getting a Qashqai or a similar SUV type car. We've currently got a 2007 Polo but have had numerous issues with it and it's also quite small for us - we need a family car. My wife is keen on the Qashqai but I'm not quite sure what to expect for our budget of ~ £8k (might be able to stretch to 10k).

Looks like for the lower end I should expect somewhere around 70+k miles, petrol and at least 7 years old. Does this seem right? Also, is it worth getting the vehicle check reports? We've been looking at petrol but is diesel worth it?

Although we're focusing on a Qashqai we're happy to look at any similar cars (SUV) that are good for regular motorway travel and have a large boot/capacity.

Might be basic stuff here (sorry!) but I've not actually bought a car before (wife's cousin took her to get the polo) so don't want to miss anything or buy something that's not a good deal.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Raz

Caporegime
We recently replaced the wife’s 2010 polo for a 2015 (65) Skoda Yeti 1.2TSi SE Outdoor DSG for the same reasons as yourself. Slightly larger boot than the 1st gen Qashqai (416 vs 410 litres), and with the vario seating, more versatile to boot.

Have driven it to Devon from Staffordshire twice now, it’s been superb, comfortable, economical and more refined than the Polo. With CarPlay and Android Auto it’s also got decent enough infotainment for what we needed it for.

Was around £9.5k with just under 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
Associate
With the Qashqai make sure you're happy with how the gearbox operates. They are usually a pain to get in first and you usually have to slip into second then first. The Juke is the same so it seems to be a Nissan thing.
I find the Qashqai a bit of a boat but maybe that's just an SUV thing.
My girlfriend has one and it's been reliable but I wouldn't have one. It feels too agricultural and that's coming from a farmers son. She has the Tekna trim level and comes with lots of toys but I would rather have parking sensors instead of the 360 camera thing. It seems only good for checking that you're with the white lines of a parking space.
I'd recommend an estate car.

Soldato
Although we're focusing on a Qashqai we're happy to look at any similar cars (SUV) that are good for regular motorway travel and have a large boot/capacity.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Raz
Most SUV's don't have a large boot. Picked up a Kia Sportage last year for my wife as a replacement to her almost 20 year old Piccasso and overall its a fantastic car, but surprisingly lacks in boot space.

Sister in law just replaced her mini with a Qashqai, same again great car, surprisingly lacking in boot space.

Honestly, get an estate, a big one. That feels like the way I will be going when I replace my current car.

Soldato
We ended up with a Kuga for 10k beginning of this year (that was a 15 plate on 30k miles).

We found they had the best boot bar the 7 seater varients of other SUV's and was way nicer to drive. Ours is fairly basic spec wise but just seemed like the whole thing was well put together and some of the cars that did have more toys (Kia for example) seemed quite dated already? Like weird interfaces and pretty poor sat nav etc.

e - my last point is null if you find something with Android auto or carplay.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
We recently replaced the wife’s 2010 polo for a 2015 (65) Skoda Yeti 1.2TSi SE Outdoor DSG for the same reasons as yourself. Slightly larger boot than the 1st gen Qashqai (416 vs 410 litres), and with the vario seating, more versatile to boot.

Have driven it to Devon from Staffordshire twice now, it’s been superb, comfortable, economical and more refined than the Polo. With CarPlay and Android Auto it’s also got decent enough infotainment for what we needed it for.

Was around £9.5k with just under 30,000 miles.

With the Qashqai make sure you're happy with how the gearbox operates. They are usually a pain to get in first and you usually have to slip into second then first. The Juke is the same so it seems to be a Nissan thing.
I find the Qashqai a bit of a boat but maybe that's just an SUV thing.
My girlfriend has one and it's been reliable but I wouldn't have one. It feels too agricultural and that's coming from a farmers son. She has the Tekna trim level and comes with lots of toys but I would rather have parking sensors instead of the 360 camera thing. It seems only good for checking that you're with the white lines of a parking space.
I'd recommend an estate car.

We ended up with a Kuga for 10k beginning of this year (that was a 15 plate on 30k miles).

We found they had the best boot bar the 7 seater varients of other SUV's and was way nicer to drive. Ours is fairly basic spec wise but just seemed like the whole thing was well put together and some of the cars that did have more toys (Kia for example) seemed quite dated already? Like weird interfaces and pretty poor sat nav etc.

e - my last point is null if you find something with Android auto or carplay.

Most SUV's don't have a large boot. Picked up a Kia Sportage last year for my wife as a replacement to her almost 20 year old Piccasso and overall its a fantastic car, but surprisingly lacks in boot space.

Sister in law just replaced her mini with a Qashqai, same again great car, surprisingly lacking in boot space.

Honestly, get an estate, a big one. That feels like the way I will be going when I replace my current car.

Thanks all, just realised that I left out a rather crucial requirement - it has to be automatic (which I think adds to the cost!). I'll have a look at the recommendations e.g. Kuga and Yeti but unfortunately wife would definitely not go for an estate even though it makes sense. Seems like with my budget it'll be something from 2011-13ish.

Your life is over, give up now.

Gave up a while ago :(

Caporegime
I'll have a look at the recommendations e.g. Kuga and Yeti but unfortunately wife would definitely not go for an estate even though it makes sense.

Surprise surprise, another woman wants an SUV thread. I'm assuming it's a joint decision for the both of you? In which case explain logically why an estate makes sense and an SUV doesn't.

Soldato
We replaced my wife’s 2009 Yaris last November with a 2011 (61 plate) Qashqai as with having 2 children, as good as the Yaris was we needed something bigger for ferrying them about and the annual holiday etc.

The price range you’re looking at is about right I think as for a manual we paid £8500 from a private dealer with all the features and toys she was after.

We went for a petrol as the mileage she does really didn’t warrant a diesel, even though they tended to be quite a bit cheaper.

Personally I find SUVs a bit pointless and wanted to get an Octavia estate but as it was her car we were swapping it was her choice and after sitting in one she found it a bit too long. The only way the Octavia was going to happen was if I got rid of my 200SX and that wasn’t happening.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Well, we've looked at a couple of Qashqais and Sportage but more than likely we'll go for a Qashqai now that we now what to expect for our budget.

cheers all!

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Well, we did get a qashqai in the end. Drives ok, and like said before although it looks big from the outside it's not as big inside - but the boot works for us.

Next thing is to see if the nissan connect system can be replaced...

Associate
Honda Civic - Mk9 facelift should be in your budget. Top end should get you a car 4-5 years old with a good spec from a honda dealer with some warranty. The boot is bigger than the qashai, the seats in the rear fold down flat but also fold up. It will last forever and unlikely to cause you problems if you look after it. Give it a look before you buy a Qashqai - cant understand why anyone would want one but obviously a lot of people do!

Soldato
Next thing is to see if the nissan connect system can be replaced...
can't you just get a bluetooth adpater ?
no problems supermarket parking a bigger car then , versus a polo, #metoo female neigbours suv has lots of dings

saw a yeti special edition this morning or what google eventually told me is a Laurin&klement in black - pretty smart;
but hadn't appreciated is is now replaced by all these confusing kodiaq/karoq/kamiq models.

Soldato
Hope you didnt get the automatic. They are junk had a Nissan rogue over here and it failed at 110k. My Subaru crosstrek failed at 145k. Turns out Subaru buy their cvt transmissions from Nissan.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Honda Civic - Mk9 facelift should be in your budget. Top end should get you a car 4-5 years old with a good spec from a honda dealer with some warranty. The boot is bigger than the qashai, the seats in the rear fold down flat but also fold up. It will last forever and unlikely to cause you problems if you look after it. Give it a look before you buy a Qashqai - cant understand why anyone would want one but obviously a lot of people do!

Too late :(

can't you just get a bluetooth adpater ?
no problems supermarket parking a bigger car then , versus a polo, #metoo female neigbours suv has lots of dings

saw a yeti special edition this morning or what google eventually told me is a Laurin&klement in black - pretty smart;
but hadn't appreciated is is now replaced by all these confusing kodiaq/karoq/kamiq models.

Well, we were going to get rid of the polo as it seemed it was beyond salvation but we've had it sorted out now relatively cheaply so I think my wife is going to stick with that...oh well.

Hope you didnt get the automatic. They are junk had a Nissan rogue over here and it failed at 110k. My Subaru crosstrek failed at 145k. Turns out Subaru buy their cvt transmissions from Nissan.

Oh...it is an automatic. Seems to drive ok, bit mileage is low, 31k.

Back
Top Bottom