The All Things IR35 Related Thread

Soldato
Ridiculous gravy train tbh, I'm quite glad they're clamping down on it.

This is why they brought in IR35 isn't it?

Because firms were hiding permanent jobs behind contract positions, as I understand if your job falls inside IR35 the only way to stay contracting is to use an umbrella company isn't it?

Soldato
This is why they brought in IR35 isn't it?

Because firms were hiding permanent jobs behind contract positions, as I understand if your job falls inside IR35 the only way to stay contracting is to use an umbrella company isn't it?

Basically yes. People functioning as employees but using limited company arrangements to avoid tax, for both parties...helps with accounting for the employers/service customers (haha) too.

Back when I was working in the City 90% of the workers were going through limited companies, and the vast majority of them were banking 5 figure sums every month.

My opinion : if companies want the state to spend vast sums of money to provide a workforce, they need to not take the **** with their accounting.

Associate
Ding ding we have a winner :) The key to contracting, I learnt that from the older English folk when I first started. Knowledge is power, and keep it to yourself.

Man you should see this curve BS we have to conform too. Ridiculous.

You can completely play the game as a contractor, in my industry anyway. Until you need to be a salary man (stole your term ;) )

Surely if you were a "proper" contractor knowledge sharing would be part of the handover process to BAU?

IR35 is there to help prevent contractors from doing BAU tasks, keeping knowledge to yourself suggests that you are working on BAU work which would put you inside IR35 in a heartbeat.

Its not unusual for a contractor to be at a major bank for 5 years plus... but they are working on different projects during that time period and possibly reporting into different managers.

Contracting for the same role for ten years doing server checks, resolving incident tickets is a big no no for the tax man as your working practices will fall inside IR35.

If you are working 100% on projects, i suggest that you get your contract amended so it has deliverables in rather than a standard 9-5 contract.

Associate
If you're a contractor and have not familiarised yourself with the off payroll rules coming in next year, you need to start doing some reading asap.

The long and short of what is concerning many in the contractor community is that agencies need to make an IR35 determination some time in the next few months. If that determination is inside IR35, then hmrc can and will argue that your entire engagement must have been inside IR35. The legislation allows them to go back up to 6 years. If you think this is all scaremongering, have a look at what is happening to GSK contractors right now.

https://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/n...they_say_and_how_contractors_can_respond.html

https://www.ft.com/content/3dfeb794-c5c6-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

Caporegime
Basically yes. People functioning as employees but using limited company arrangements to avoid tax, for both parties...helps with accounting for the employers/service customers (haha) too.

Back when I was working in the City 90% of the workers were going through limited companies, and the vast majority of them were banking 5 figure sums every month.

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration, even if you're confining it to back office/IT roles, but it is certainly common within IT jobs in the city for people to be working as contractors and plenty of these roles aren't for specific projects but are just 6 months contracts that keep on getting rolled over for years. I know of a few cases where the offer of a contract was used for retention purposes i.e. someone leaving to go to a rival, instead offered a contractor role as an easy way to give a significant pay rise and keep them doing the same job they were doing as a permie.

It is quite blatantly a complete **** take in those situations and they can't really complain too much if HMRC rumbles them, ought to have some cash put to one side for this as it isn't as though IR35 is anything particularly new, it is just something that was easier to try and dodge previously.

Associate
Thank you

No problem,

If you are on a 3-6 month rolling contract.. get the agency to put down deliverables in the contract such as 1) complete application testing before end date of contract 2 ) determine application requirements before end date of contract etc. It will be really hard to get the end client to change the way they work so you will probably get resistance from them, but try your best.

I would also recommend getting ir35 insurance from qdos for peace of mind, it only costs 100 quid a year when I last checked ( this was 5 years ago).

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
They're 12 month contracts but I will see what my agency say too, even my big boss is a contractor so I think it's in everyone's interest. Thanks for the advice on insurance too, I will look at it today :) much appreciated.

Rumour today is it'll be postponed a year.

Associate
It is quite blatantly a complete **** take in those situations and they can't really complain too much if HMRC rumbles them, ought to have some cash put to one side for this as it isn't as though IR35 is anything particularly new, it is just something that was easier to try and dodge previously.

IR35 is a very poorly defined piece of legislation, proven by the fact that HMRC have lost pretty much every IR35 case that has been taken to court. To demonstrate the absurdity of the current off payroll rules - HMRC has a tool called CEST to determine IR35 status. It has argued in court that it's own tool cannot be relied upon to determine a contractor's IR35 status (!)

Soldato
IR35 is a very poorly defined piece of legislation, proven by the fact that HMRC have lost pretty much every IR35 case that has been taken to court. To demonstrate the absurdity of the current off payroll rules - HMRC has a tool called CEST to determine IR35 status. It has argued in court that it's own tool cannot be relied upon to determine a contractor's IR35 status (!)

In 2019 in the FTT so far HMRC has:
  • Lost 3 cases (one of which depended on a casting vote by the judge),
  • Mixed result on 1 case (2 contracts, one was inside IR35, the other outside), and
  • Won 1 case.
In 2018 in the FTT HMRC:
  • Lost 3 cases,
  • Won 1 case.
Not amazing statistics by HMRC's standards, but not necessarily terrible either. The Christa Ackroyd case alone probably made HMRC significant cash benefits to justify all the above cases.

Soldato
Caporegime

It might well be poorly implemented but my point is more about how the general intent is pretty apparent and has been for a while - essentially they want to crack down on hidden employees. I know a fair few people who have taken the Mickey over the years and have been contracting in what are essentially regular employee roles. Most of them are probably switched on enough to get those roles redefined etc..

Man of Honour
Contractors really need to get a grip with IR35. Get pay a proper tax advisor to help you rather than speculation and internet forums.

HMRC will look into old contracts so having it reworded now will make diddly squat difference. HMRC are on a war path and nothing is going to stop them. Get your affairs, legal covers and what not in order before it's too late.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't put it past them based on recent actions such as the loan charge news. Also look at how contractors at GSK are being heavily targeted.

Caporegime
Contractors really need to get a grip with IR35. Get pay a proper tax advisor to help you rather than speculation and internet forums.

HMRC will look into old contracts so having it reworded now will make diddly squat difference. HMRC are on a war path and nothing is going to stop them. Get your affairs, legal covers and what not in order before it's too late.

Which is why you should put some money to one side. I suspect that they're not going to go too far back with everyone as I doubt they have the resources to do so given the number of IT contractors out there in general (also I'm not sure they're as unrestricted in terms of time as they might be with the loan tax dodge, but people will certainly need to be careful going forwards).

Man of Honour
It's also worth noting that any IR35 insurance is based on the fact that the contract it was insured for (or you were doing at the time) is actually according to the law, outside of IR35. If you were working inside of IR35 then the insurance isn't valid.

Back
Top Bottom