Carnival Row

Caporegime
Premier August 30th apparently - dunno if that means it will be available just after midnight tonight?

Anyway this looks interesting, steampunk + fairies and other mythical creatures... seemingly set in not-London and with the mythical creatures being refugees from not-Ireland.

Has been renewed for a second season too.

Associate
Keep seeing adverts for it all over the place, will likely give a couple of episodes a go and see if it's worth further investment!

Caporegime
OP
Surprisingly, I guess because this isn't too big a deal, Amazon have actually released it in the UK at midnight, so can watch now! :)

And looks seriously like a man at others.

SJP7eRi.jpg

0cwgat0.jpg

Only when you stick her side by side with effeminate looking men!

Anyway she looked hot in the last movie I saw her in:

Man of Honour
Seems interesting so far - seems to have been a bit of attention paid to the world building as well which helps to offset some of the stuff that isn't as great rather than lazily relying on throwing things into the mix as and when they are needed for the next scene.

Caporegime
OP
Well it’s no Game of Thrones, that was a show that instantly got my attention like the Wire, Sopranos, Battle Star Galactica mini series, Bosch, Better Call Saul, Heroes season 1 etc...

This was still interesting despite the rather blatant “oh look you’re covering race and class issues & immigration in a really blatant and quite simplistic way”. It’s more like say the Amazon Victorian detective drama Ripper Street, albeit with supernatural stuff. I’ll be watching it but it doesn’t seem like it will be amazons answer to Game of Thrones.

Man of Honour
Well it’s no Game of Thrones, that was a show that instantly got my attention like the Wire, Sopranos, Battle Star Galactica mini series, Bosch, Better Call Saul, Heroes season 1 etc...

This was still interesting despite the rather blatant “oh look you’re covering race and class issues & immigration in a really blatant and quite simplistic way”. It’s more like say the Amazon Victorian detective drama Ripper Street, albeit with supernatural stuff. I’ll be watching it but it doesn’t seem like it will be amazons answer to Game of Thrones.

Yeah it is kind of like a fantasy Ripper Street and possibly not entirely coincidence - not looked into the production but seems to be some shared approaches in visual FX, etc.

To be fair while the issues are quite blatantly current ones and somewhat simplistically handled it is quite interesting to see them as if from the perspective of looking at another culture.

They would have had to take quite a bit more time building up the world and characters to compete with GoT - episode 3 would have had to be almost an entire season itself but so far I'm finding it fairly good - the amount of detail they've put into some elements helps to offset some of the bits that are a touch ropey.

Soldato
Watched the first episode and will definitely be watching the rest. Weird thing though, all through the episode my faerie tattoo was itching like mad and then stopped once the programme had finished, Was it my eczema, or was something else at play?

Man of Honour
I think this suffers a bit having big name actors involved - the focus quickly comes back to them while it would have really enhanced it if they'd spent 30-40% longer fleshing out some of the other characters and developing some of the threads out a bit more so we could see a bit more of the background not just assume it.

Was at times heavy handed with its dealing of present day real issues as well - at times it was interesting in the way it dealt with them as depicted as if looking through the window at an alien culture but other times it just couldn't resist that final push which crossed over into personal ideology/agenda and broke the immersion.

Back
Top Bottom