This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
The annoyance with the VMware certs is the pre-req to take the expensive VMWare course, I did my course for my VCP so just need to pull the socks up and book the actual exam otherwise it's a few grand down the drain hey.

Oh really? That's abit crap, thought it was like MS certs, Comptia, etc. You can self study then take the exam :(

Technically you can get a VCP without doing the course, but you need an active CCNA or above and then the path is VCP-NV 2019 before you can do VCP-DCV 2019.

I wrote a blog which contains more detail.
https://cadooks.com/becoming-vcp-certified-and-how-to-bypass-the-course-requirement/

I agree it's hugely frustrating especially if like me at the time the course adds little benefit.

Associate
In to the last month of my notice period now and have to say I'm excited to be moving on.

I've been a Data Architect for the past 3 years, and moving to a competitor who will be providing training to round out some skills in other disciplines.

I'll still be very data focussed, it's a great skillset to have and the prospect to be able to take that to a wider set of projects is great for me.

Soldato
Exactly one month til I start the new job back in the UK...and I still haven't heard from the relocation company :/

I've done a few relocations now, and never had them leave it this late. It's kinda useful to know things like when I'll be leaving the country :p Sure it'll all get sorted. Been a bit of a shambolic hiring process, which has surprised me given the size of the parent company.

Soldato
Exactly one month til I start the new job back in the UK...and I still haven't heard from the relocation company :/

I've done a few relocations now, and never had them leave it this late. It's kinda useful to know things like when I'll be leaving the country :p Sure it'll all get sorted. Been a bit of a shambolic hiring process, which has surprised me given the size of the parent company.

Which relocating company are you using or used in the past and how much did they charge?

As I still need to move some stuff from my two bedroom house in the UK to my apartment in Switzerland.

And if anyone else has any advice on moving stuff from the UK to another country overseas would like to chime in? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Which relocating company are you using or used in the past and how much did they charge?

As I still need to move some stuff from my two bedroom house in the UK to my apartment in Switzerland.

And if anyone else has any advice on moving stuff from the UK to another country overseas would like to chime in? :)

I'm not paying for it, so I don't know. We did get a dining table and chairs moved from the UK to Germany when we moved here, but it was an absolute nightmare, nearly had to the get the police involved as the movers tried to come back into the apartment to remove the table after we refused to pay for an extra charge they dumped on us.

If it was coming out of my own pocket, I'd seriously just look at hiring a van for a few days and doing it myself. I've had various things go missing during removals before.

I'm going to be driving back at least once to move all our valuable items, electronics etc...not trusting it to a mover.

Soldato
Projectors are your friend ;) I'm taking mine and xbox in hold luggage when I fly back :D

Yep, if you have a living room big enough, my is too small so I got the TV.

I would sell it be its less than 6 months old and has 6 years warranty. I would loose out on so much if I sold it as people in my home area are either tight or poor.

Got all my consoles here through. At least I could slap those in the luggage.

Soldato
In to the last month of my notice period now and have to say I'm excited to be moving on.

I've been a Data Architect for the past 3 years, and moving to a competitor who will be providing training to round out some skills in other disciplines.

I'll still be very data focussed, it's a great skillset to have and the prospect to be able to take that to a wider set of projects is great for me.
What are you moving into job wise?

Soldato
Feels like I'm going to break at the moment - just too much on to cope. Too many competing priorities, too many big projects to land and not enough hours to do it.

Trying to bring in interim resource to help me through, but can't find the perfect candidate so have to settle for the best we can do and I'm paralyzed by the worry that the candidate we bring in will need so much handholding that its not going to take any work off my plate and will just end up costing a fortune.

All my usual techniques for coping are not working, I can't make lists and prioritise tasks because everything is a priority, everything is either overdue or will soon be overdue and there is nothing I can do about it. Senior management are not helping, because they can't, they don't have the skill set or the understanding. I've been operating at the bleeding edge of my ability for so long now, I've learned so much and come so far but now the cracks are forming, and I don't think I can get to where I need to be in the time I have available.

Kicking myself for not taking that job offer 3 months back, not because I don't enjoy what I do, but just because its too much and its become so overwhelming.

Soldato
OP
Management don't need to have the skillset though. They should understand, based on your explanations that you cannot cope. You need to explain where exactly you're having issues and what will **** up if you dont have support. If they cannot help draft in support or resources to help you, explain that they need to prioritise what is most important to them for you to focus on. Simple. You can't manage by yourself but without making it 100% clear to management what is going on and what will happen if you get no support, you don't cover your own ass,.

Back
Top Bottom