• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I'm scared I could break my 1080Ti... Any ideas?

Associate
Sorry for my English in first place. So 3 weeks ago I bought used 1080Ti INNO3D iCHill X4. Seller came to my house, I tested the card in many games and run few benchmarks and stress tests and everything seems fine so I bought it. Later I realized that card is running INSANELY HOT, 82-86degrees while gaming and from the posts I found this seems normal for this card, it's actually hotter than reference card. So I decided to UV the card, I did that to every GPU I owned. Temperature then didn't go past 73 degrees. Some time later I decided to change thermal paste and see if it will help and after changing the paste the temperature actually went up so I thought maybe I put too little. I took off the cooler and indeed there wasn't a lot of the paste on GPU so I wiped the previous paste and applied again thermal grizzly the best I could. I had problems with putting the cooler back on. I lined up the cooler with the holes on PCB perfectly but I coudn't screw it back. I always treat the GPUs like bar of gold and this time was the same. After spinning the screw for some time I heard strange sound and GPU bent a little bit. I got very scared and started to loosen up this screw really fast. I think it's terrible cooler design because only 4 screws hold entire 2.8 slot cooler connected to PCB. Meanwhile FE card has like 20 screws holding the cooler so GPU just can't bent. Something was wrong because the paste on GPU didn't even touch the heatsink. I took the cooler off and managed to put it back on without problems at second time. After that I started getting stability issues. Games started crashing on stock settings and would only work after card was undervolted. I took the cooler off again to check for any potential damages (I was very careful all the time) but the card seemed fine and there wasn't any bent. Repasting again didn't fix this issue. Card needed more and more voltage on UV each day to don't crash. Today PC isn't booting with the GPU inside anymore and LED for GPU error is lighten up on motherboard. Do you think card was defective in first place or I could break something while trying to put the cooler back on? The card is from INNO3D and was bought in German store which has been closed over a year ago.. I still have the invoice however... I contacted the INNO3D already but they're really slow at responding for emails, it usually takes them 1 full day to respond for 1 email.. I'm just scared the might don't help me with the warranty because the store no longer exists...
Here are screenshots of the card: https://imgur.com/a/vu8cE93

Associate
OP
Sounds like you have broken it with over-tightening something, what were the temps like before it died?
Temps actually dropped. I left Witcher 3 running for 2 hours on stock, it didnt crash and temps maxed out at 77 degrees

I always had problem with taking that cooler off and putting it back on. It's just awful, 2.8slot cooler with fans at 100% is unable to keep card below 80 degrees

I was really careful whole time. I lined that cooler with screw holes on pcb perfectly. I just don't know what could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
you heard a noise and saw the GPU was bent - hence you have damaged the card - you might get lucky and get a replacement from the manufacturer. check if the warranty is still valid and if it can be transferred.

Associate
OP
you heard a noise and saw the GPU was bent - hence you have damaged the card - you might get lucky and get a replacement from the manufacturer. check if the warranty is still valid and if it can be transferred.
Should be 2 years warranty atleast since February 2018. Even if it's not transferable I hace contact with original purchaser

I'm waiting for respond from inno3d

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Soldato
usually they are quite resilient and it takes a lot of warpage to damage something.

Possibly driven say a standoff into a trace etc? Ensure to have a good look for any kind of damage as they will likely check for that with warranty.

If it’s near the core where it was bent then you could have cracked a solder ball etc. If no warranty put in the oven to reflow unless you have a heatgun.

Associate
OP
Yes the original purchaser will have to RMA the card for you.

I googled found other people has same issue with INNO3D not respond to RMA emails.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/951503-inno3d-does-not-respond-to-rma-emails/

You could try sent message to INNO3D about RMA card on facebook, twitter. Fail that try email to sales team ask for RMA help.
I have contact with 1 guy from EU sales office but it takes him a while to respond. It's annoying. I feel like only EVGA and NVIDIA actually have more than 5 people working in their customer service and they're fast with responding.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
usually they are quite resilient and it takes a lot of warpage to damage something.

Possibly driven say a standoff into a trace etc? Ensure to have a good look for any kind of damage as they will likely check for that with warranty.

If it’s near the core where it was bent then you could have cracked a solder ball etc. If no warranty put in the oven to reflow unless you have a heatgun.
there are springs on screws protecting them from overtightening too much, I also never overtighten GPU cooler screws to the point where it just doesn't want to go further. I checked for any damages on the PCB but didn't find anything I could cause while putting the cooler on. It's the stupid cooler design. There are 4 screws, 3 of them have springs on them and there's 1 screw that's always inside the PCB, you can't take it off and it doesn't has spring. You can see it in the link. I propably started with that screw and just went too far because it hasn't got a spring to let you know when to stop but still really stupid issue. I should have go with other brand... INNO3D seems really bad, poor contact with customer service, terrible cooler design and I can't even find warranty section on their website. I disassembled many cards in my life like 970, three 1070s, 1080, 1080Ti FE without any problems but I somehow managed to ****** up something with this one

G J

G J

Associate
So instead of RMA'ing the card when you was having problems you took apart the card multiple times and one time broke it and now you're here slagging them off and getting annoyed because they're slow to respond?

I've would be extremely grateful if they even entertained the warrenty given you didnt originally own the card and you broke it.

Associate
OP
So instead of RMA'ing the card when you was having problems you took apart the card multiple times and one time broke it and now you're here slagging them off and getting annoyed because they're slow to respond?

I've would be extremely grateful if they even entertained the warrenty given you didnt originally own the card and you broke it.
I took it apart 3 times. Each time very carefuly. First time I didn't have any problems, I just didn't put enough thermal paste. Second time was when I had problems. I put more thermal paste and temperature actually dropped and stayed below 80 degrees but I started getting driver crashes. I took the cooler off 3rd and last time to check for any potential signs of damage but I didn't see anything so again I put the cooler back carefuly but crashes didn't stop. And yes I'm mad at INNO3D. Contact with them basically doesn't exist. I haven't received any mail from ther main e-mail, no respond on twitter, I've got respond on facebook after 3 days and guy told me to contact support, I've sent support ticket from their website and didn't get respond. I finally got respond from therr EU Sales Office email. I started emailing them when I only started getting stability issues over a week ago and to this day I basically know nothing, guy who contacted me said that his EU team will contact me tomorrow and here I am 2 days later still no email... there's no warranty section on their website, I had to check if it's 2 or 3 years in other store. Basically 0 information, seriously... I watched some reviews of their cards before buying this one and read some opinions and no one really had any problems with this company but I really regret buying this card now...

Soldato
no offence fella but the below 2 statements don't go together :(
Each time very carefuly.
After spinning the screw for some time I heard strange sound and GPU bent a little bit.

unfortunately it would appear you haven't been careful enough and have banjaxxed something. good luck with the rma - but i'd expect it to be rejected unfortunately. if you've heard a strange noise you've probably crushed/broke something, even if you can't see it i'd imagine their test engineer will spot it. fingers crossed for you though. i can also understand your annoyance at the delay in response from them. keep emailing them but for god sake make sure and be polite - don't get all high and mighty with them. remember, you've probably busted something, you don't want to alienate them prior to arranging the rma in case they go over the card with extra scrutiny.

Associate

unfortunately it would appear you haven't been careful enough and have banjaxxed something. good luck with the rma - but i'd expect it to be rejected unfortunately. if you've heard a strange noise you've probably crushed/broke something, even if you can't see it i'd imagine their test engineer will spot it. fingers crossed for you though. i can also understand your annoyance at the delay in response from them. keep emailing them but for god sake make sure and be polite - don't get all high and mighty with them. remember, you've probably busted something, you don't want to alienate them prior to arranging the rma in case they go over the card with extra scrutiny.

yep you need to be as gracious as possible to them as its clearly your own fault that the card is damaged

Associate
OP

Look at the link I posted. One of the screws doesn't has spring on it. I didn't have problems with taking the cooler off or uplugging connectors but always with screwing it back. I'm pretty sure I started screwing that screw without spring and I didn't know when to stop. Then I heard this strange sound and I saw PCB is bent a little. It didn't happen slowly because if it did I would stop screwing it but it happened immidiately. Propably if I started screwing from any other screw this would never happen. In my opinion if this cooler had 4 normal screws with springs like any other GPU that exists this woudn't happen. Instead has this strange design where if you start screwing the cooler from wrong screw you can damage the card. I still to this day don't know how this happened because I was really slow, careful and barely used any force when screwing it. It just bent and made strange noise... There are only these 4 screws holding entire cooler, it only cools GPU. Memory has it's own cooling plate and VRMs are cooled by individual heatsink with 4th little fan.

Back
Top Bottom