Is the AppleTV 4K worth it still?

Associate
Disney pulled them - 4K is going to be exclusive to their streaming service

Disney wouldn't allow apple to sell the movies in 4k at the same price as HD or for apple to upgrade users with the HD movies to HD as they did for every other Studio.

The stream in 4k on other services.

Soldato
Disney wouldn't allow apple to sell the movies in 4k at the same price as HD or for apple to upgrade users with the HD movies to HD as they did for every other Studio.

The stream in 4k on other services.

I think you’ll find when their contracts expire the 4K footage will expire elsewhere too.
Remember - they were 4K on iTunes for about ~ 7 weeks

Soldato
I think you’ll find when their contracts expire the 4K footage will expire elsewhere too.
Remember - they were 4K on iTunes for about ~ 7 weeks
Marvel and Disney films will stay UHD on vudu, movies anywhere etc as you have to pay to upgrade from HD to UHD.

Soldato
OP
Marvel and Disney films will stay UHD on vudu, movies anywhere etc as you have to pay to upgrade from HD to UHD.

Do you still have access to create a moviesanywhere and vudu account for others, Clovis? Finding a VPN that isn't blocked is proving to be tricky! No worries if not though, may finally push me to get a VPN!

Soldato
Do you still have access to create a moviesanywhere and vudu account for others, Clovis? Finding a VPN that isn't blocked is proving to be tricky! No worries if not though, may finally push me to get a VPN!
Should be able to, I'm at work until 6.30pm tonight but if you trust me with the email you'd like me to try, I'll try when I'm home. :)

No guarantees though for Movies Anywhere, they've done really well to block almost every VPN and DNS provider. :)

Soldato
OP
Should be able to, I'm at work until 6.30pm tonight but if you trust me with the email you'd like me to try, I'll try when I'm home. :)

No guarantees though for Movies Anywhere, they've done really well to block almost every VPN and DNS provider. :)
Ace! Well if you can't you can't no biggie at all

Soldato
Ace! Well if you can't you can't no biggie at all
Setup Movies Anywhere for you, have emailed you the password, you can now log in and change the password. :)

You don't need a VPN/DNS provider to log in and use the MA website. :)

Have also created you a VUDU account which i have setup with the same email and password as Movies Anywhere, enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not heard of movies anywhere or vudu - but a quick google and it offered a sign up page?

Am I missing something?
Movies anywhere lets you connect different film distributors into one location.

You can access your movie library from vudu, iTunes, Google play etc all in one place. :)

Soldato
Movies anywhere lets you connect different film distributors into one location.

You can access your movie library from vudu, iTunes, Google play etc all in one place. :)

I don't want to Jinx it but I have never had an issue with MoviesAnywhere or Vudu when using Vipr, albeit Vipr being the most expensive of all the options.

Having used MA/Vudu/Google/Itunes together for 18 months now, I would caution that it is not a guaranteed certainty that a Vudu or Itunes purchased movie will appear in MA but most of them do.

In response to the OP, I would say that the Apple 4k box is excellent but the Nvidia Shield I run next to it still edges it slightly with the caveat that it is HDR only and no Dolby Vision.

The software update for the Apple 4k which appeared after Christmas fixed most of my issues with Dolby Vision enabled and there were plenty.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I have one but the only thing that really annoys me about it is the fact we can't when I use the youtube app - it doesnt support 4K videos? Like seriously...
A 4K Apple TV box that doesnt support 4K videos on youtube, what a joke.

Aside from that its easy and quick to use and and looks nice! The screen mirroring is also very useful

Associate
I don't want to Jinx it but I have never had an issue with MoviesAnywhere or Vudu when using Vipr, albeit Vipr being the most expensive of all the options.

Having used MA/Vudu/Google/Itunes together for 18 months now, I would caution that it is not a guaranteed certainty that a Vudu or Itunes purchased movie will appear in MA but most of them do.

In response to the OP, I would say that the Apple 4k box is excellent but the Nvidia Shield I run next to it still edges it slightly with the caveat that it is HDR only and no Dolby Vision.

The software update for the Apple 4k which appeared after Christmas fixed most of my issues with Dolby Vision enabled and there were plenty.

The new Shield TV does Dolby Vision/Atmos now fwiw.

Soldato
I have one but the only thing that really annoys me about it is the fact we can't when I use the youtube app - it doesnt support 4K videos? Like seriously...
A 4K Apple TV box that doesnt support 4K videos on youtube, what a joke.

That’s a google imposing that limitation because they will only put out the 4K content using their own codec rather than using the standards everyone else does.

...something something wanting you to buy a chrome cast instead.

Soldato
OP
Use mine daily. In fact it's the only way we watch TV now. Only thing, in my opinion, that needs work is the stupid NowTV app. That app is lightyears behind the app that I have installed on my TV. Makes it a right pain when trying to watch a series. Other than that, I love it.

I think one of my favourite things are the 4K screen savers. Can watch those with music playing for hours

Back
Top Bottom