Can this be Repaired (Bodywork).....

Soldato
Most of the bodywork on the Supra is in pretty good condition except the tops of both rear 3/4 panels.

Can this be polished out with a rotary or DA polisher? I'd be tempted to buy one with the correct pads and compounds if it can be....otherwise I'll just get them resprayed.

BYHuYk2.jpg
mvXM2CG.jpg
WpnCwR3.jpg
k3DJyMy.jpg

Man of Honour
Spray some water on there or wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth - see if they fade to much less obvious or not.

Associate
If that was mine i would wet sand and machine polish. See what results you can get.

Worst case it looks the same or you burn through and have to get it re-done either way.

Caporegime
Looks like wind worn old paint to me. Wet sand and polish. Da polish alone won't do it.

My friends e30's entire roof is like that. Original paint, so obviously not a reaction or primer sanding marks in his case. Happens to a lot of old silver paint.

Soldato
Looks like wind worn old paint to me. Wet sand and polish. Da polish alone won't do it.

My friends e30's entire roof is like that. Original paint, so obviously not a reaction or primer sanding marks in his case. Happens to a lot of old silver paint.
this .. have a 90's silver bm (edit: with more robust cellulose paints?), with some clearcoat flaking , this is the previous stage where it is cracking
I would not da polish you will accelerate the problem, just make sure you maintain a good sacrificial polish coating to minimize uv degradation ... until you decide if you want to repaint, applying glazes does not help cosmetically ime.

Soldato
I had an old W reg green Capri that looked like turtle shell on one door. Paint had cracked due to age and being left in the sun. Then Colour Magic liquid wax came out.. The results were amazing... You could still see it. But it went from looking like turtle shell to about what you have now.

But doubt it'll help. So I probably should have stayed out of "Motors"

lol

Soldato
Late reply as I've been on holiday but that definitely won't polish out.

As mentioned already it's crazing of the paint layer. You can sometimes get away with bodging it with a prime and respray but really you need to strip all affected layers and start again.

Soldato
OP
Late reply as I've been on holiday but that definitely won't polish out.

As mentioned already it's crazing of the paint layer. You can sometimes get away with bodging it with a prime and respray but really you need to strip all affected layers and start again.
Thanks, I'd come to the same conclusion too. I'm planning on getting some work done over winter to cut out rust and match the paint a bit better so will also get them to do this too.

Man of Honour
I did this but didn't really know what to be looking for! The scratches don't fade that's for sure.

If you swipe over the scratched with a damp cloth they should become almost invisible for 5-10 seconds if they are in the clear coat - as per your later posts that almost certainly seems like the base layer is shot and there is no quick and easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom