What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Not sure about the jealous, petty etc. I think there is a bit of looking down the nose at people with osentatious taste and brands. Nothing against Rolex but it is the brand that people who know sod all about watches notice and perhaps some unfairly think owners wear that brand in order to be noticed. My JLC would rarely be noticed or ruffle any feathers.
Well, I realise that it's not nice to hear, but I have seen and experienced it and know many others that have. Hell, I used to randomly get called a posh twit or a wonker when walking in the Birmingham surrounding areas when just wearing a suit and shoes. The UK has a unique brand of anti-success fuelled for years by declining living standards and tabloid rags like the Daily Mail/Sun etc that fuel resentment by obsessing about people's wealth, assets and whatever it perceives as excess. It's become a cultural tick.

Anyway my bad for diverting from the purity of the thread and engaging in a mini-rant... I'll shut up now. :).

Man of Honour
It’s half a jealousy and half a modesty thing.

The ‘hate’ is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. Whenever I see someone wearing these watches, I find myself making the rebuttable presumption that the wearer has ‘more money than sense’. I’d also refrain from wearing one because I’d be too conscious of people making the same presumption. So... that sort of makes me a hater and a wimp? Or people that wear them do have more money than sense? Or nobody really cares.

Really, all that matters is how fun it is to wear (however you wish to measure ‘fun’). Hard pass from me though. I do spend money on other premium products (that I perceive to have more practical value) so I’m not shy of a ‘ridiculous splurge’ from time to time.

Caporegime
It’s half a jealousy and half a modesty thing.

The ‘hate’ is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. Whenever I see someone wearing these watches, I find myself making the rebuttable presumption that the wearer has ‘more money than sense’. I’d also refrain from wearing one because I’d be too conscious of people making the same presumption. So... that sort of makes me a hater and a wimp? Or people that wear them do have more money than sense? Or nobody really cares.

Really, all that matters is how fun it is to wear (however you wish to measure ‘fun’). Hard pass from me though. I do spend money on other premium products (that I perceive to have more practical value) so I’m not shy of a ‘ridiculous splurge’ from time to time.
I would argue that it makes far less sense to go out and get bladdered 3x a week like many people do, than it does to buy a Rolex that actually retains value and often even appreciates over time. They are an investment, though of course with a steep initial outlay.

I'm a discreet guy in general who avoids bling and the only reason I bought this, other than I'm in love with the elegant style of the watch, is because it doesn't scream Rolex (I was otherwise going to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre). I would certainly not consider it immodest. :)

Associate
This is also I have learned, at least in my experience, very much a UK thing. I have lived in various places in Europe and traveled in most developed continents and it is only in the UK where I have seen such fierce resentment of people who have nice things. it's like we have built a culture where people are embarrassed to wear any outward sign of wealth for fear that they will be labelled a showoff, posh tw*t or other general resentful abuse.

Doesn't happen (generally speaking, I mean) in Germany, doesn't happen in France, doesn't happen in Switzerland, doesn't happen in most of Eastern Europe... people generally just shrug their shoulders, accept that some people have things that they don't have and get on with life without a second thought.

Having lived outside it for long enough I find that with regards to outward signs of wealth (and I don't even mean particularly ostentateous outward signs) the UK is a comparatively petty, jealous and somewhat unhealthy culture versus our EU brethren.

Crab mentality ...

True though, but its ok for folks to blow a ton of cash on expensive trainers and clothes they can ill afford as thats hip and cool to some ...

Soldato
It is a funny how people perceive others having 'more money than sense'. It's 100% subjective. I often point this out to people at work, who like to make it their business to question me about my expenditure. I don't **** my money up against a wall every weekend, change my car every year to keep up with next door, nor do I take the family to Majorca 6x times a year.

If I wear my watch, no one will notice largely unless I want them to (which I don't). If they do happen to see it and make a presumption about me based on this, well... I think that says more about them tbh. I'm happy with my watch regardless :cool:

Soldato
I find myself making the rebuttable presumption that the wearer has ‘more money than sense’. I’d also refrain from wearing one because I’d be too conscious of people making the same presumption. So... that sort of makes me a hater and a wimp? Or people that wear them do have more money than sense? Or nobody really cares.

You only think that because they don't appeal to you.

I'm the same with tattoos. I see tattoos on people, and I inevitably think they must be an idiot. My rational side knows that being drawn on has no bearing on someone's mental capacity, and yet I still think it, because I don't see the appeal in the slightest.

Soldato
It's always a concern, given you often have no idea of the service history. I'd personally be very wary of big name brands on eBay, not just because of the always-present service history issue, but mainly due to frankens/fakes/botches/crap, and would rather put my money with trusted dealers of vintage stuff.
You do have to be careful on eBay as @hughtrimble mentioned. However, on the flip side, you can get some good deals on there. Just make sure you do your homework/research before hand. You have to check the dial hasn't been redone/is in good condition and the crown, hands are case are correct for the reference. Chances are crystal will have been changed but its worth checking if it is original. Also try and get a picture of the movement and give that a visual check to make sure it is the correct one for the reference and to make sure there isn't any water damage in there. The servicing of most watches can be done by a competent watch maker so long as the watch was a fairly good quality one when it was made. 60s Timex watches for example are going to be much harder to service than a 50s Omega.

Here are 3 watches I got from eBay over the last year which came back from the watch maker last weekend after being serviced.

TuTY0x0.jpg

As a rule of thumb I assume all vintage watches I purchase are going to need a service straight away and I factor that into the cost of purchase. For reference I would say the general cost of a service is the following:

1. Manual Wind - Time only: £80-£120 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
  2. Automatic - Time/Date: £120-£160 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
  3. Manual Wind - Chronograph: £160-£200 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
  4. Automatic Chronograph: £200-£300 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
Parts can be expensive but this depends on the watch. You can get an idea of the cost of parts for any given watch movement by looking the movement up on cousinsuk. This will also give you an idea of parts availability as well as they are the main supplier of parts to watchmakers in the UK (along with the actual watch companies themselves).

As a little test, can you spot what is wrong with my vintage Omega Seamaster?

Z8pxDKk.jpg

I've got two; an Omega '53 Thin Arrow and a Longines 5Star Admiral caliber 6651 from '74. The Omega is very rarely worn but I wear the Longines as my dress watch and most of the week for work. Last had the Longines serviced about 7 years ago and it's been faultless since.

Cheers for the advice. Certainly I've only looked at one or two and it just so happens that the sellers claim to have a bricks and mortar shop as well which gives me a bit more assurance albeit I've not checked on how truthful that is yet as I've just browsed on my phone. I'll keep an eye out on things but September is an expensive month for me so might delay any possible purchase

Soldato
IMG_4746.jpg

Pretty much identical to my vintage Longines manual I got on eBay. Mine is in much better condition on the face though.

Associate
Where/Who would I see about getting the lume replaced/replenished on my original 1977 Seiko 6309? It was my grandfather's watch from his time in the navy and the only thing of (relative) value he left, so it is very special to me - although I do wear it every day.

Currently on a black NATO strap as the original rubber is starting to grey.

http://imgur.com/gallery/GUz0DlN
GUz0DlN

Caporegime
Oh man, I made the mistake of reading about the Rolex Sky Dweller the other day, and I am now mildly obsessed with it. The movement and engineering is just amazing, it is mechanically so impressively slick that other watch manufacturers can't help but look on in envy, especially at the price point.

Review here https://timeandtidewatches.com/depth-rolex-sky-dweller-comes-earth/

• Annual calendar function with month markers on outside of dial
  • GMT using a an off-centre rotating disc
  • Bezel rotates and is used as a "command dial" to facilitate changing of the various watch functions. Apparently feels like the dial on a safe.
The only downsides (other the price) is the watch is a pretty large at 42mm wide and 14.5mm high (similar to a Tudor Pelagosand the strap very wide and chunky. Plus with the heavily fluted bezel it's not as discreet as I like in a watch.

Still, the execution of those fuctions is sublime. Beautiful and practical (not taking cost into account) timepiece.

Caporegime
Since we're all computer nerds here (ahem), does nobody have the problem where wearing a watch means constant scraping against your keyboard and/or mouse all day? That's why I don't wear one.
If you wear a watch on the opposite hand to your mouse-hand it shouldn't really be a problem. At least it isn't for me!

Caporegime
I still find it scrapes on the desk by the keyboard. Maybe I have fat wrists.
Not much you can do about that I'm afraid other than check that you are using your keyboard in a good position. Your wrists should not be laying flat on the desk.

I recommend using one of the following:

Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 https://www.microsoft.com/accessori...rds/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/b2m-00012

Microsoft Sculpt https://www.microsoft.com/accessori...lpt-ergonomic-keyboard-for-business/5kv-00001

Other than being about 10x more comfortable than normal keyboards they will raise your wrists in to good typing positions and your watch shouldn't scrape as much.

Back
Top Bottom