Rusty wheel bolts, any solutions?

Associate
Hey guys,

My cars wheel bolts are looking pretty tired at almost 10 years old. Lots of surface rust / grime / corrosion on them making the wheels look naff.

Is there any solution to this, IE anyway to clean them etc? Seems pointless to buy new ones if they will just rust again?

Edit: Are wheel bolt covers worth it? Although not sure how they would go over the locking wheel nuts

Soldato
Took 10 years to go rusty so if you buy replacements how likely is it you'll still own the car when the corrode again? Caps are all well and good but often you still get corrosion beneath them and they're an added pain in the rear when changing wheels.

Soldato
Caps are a PITA to remove, i've got one of those full cap thingies that goes across the centre and all bolts - doesn't matter if they're normal or locking.

Soldato
I'd love to see the economics on this sort of thing - it must be buttons in savings and you equip your cars with inferior products. Seems pointless to me!

If you saved £1 per car and you're VW, that's nearly £11m last year. Once you ship the car, rusty wheel nuts are no longer your problem, it's maybe the dealer's if they rust within warranty, then probably not even that :p

Back
Top Bottom