need help with network!!!!!

Associate
Just got new fibre optic in my house today and should be getting 500mbps. The fibre runs straight into my house and directly from the wall to the router, the router when connected to my phone gives me the speed i need (around 450) so there is no problem with the fibre at that point. The problem begins on my PC, when my PC is set to auto-negotiate on the LAN it limits itself to 100mbps, although i do get the full 100. although when i change my network settings to '1.0Gbs full duplex' i start to have problems. with this setting on my PC does not recognise any Ethernet cable at all (i have tried the diagnose feature and it just says there is either a faulty connection or a bad cable) , my motherboard is capable, i have tried resetting my LAN config and nothing has worked. From the router downstairs the internet is ran upstairs and into my bedroom by ~7m cable and it is into my wall with a wall port, from the wall port is a cat6 cable running directly to my PC. The cable that runs upstairs is not faulty because another identical cable runs along side it into my WAP upstairs with no problem (WAP gets full speed). So what is the problem, is it a software problem on my PC, could my wall port in my room be faulty, somebody help please, thanks.

Associate
Assuming your router has gigabit ethernet, try moving the PC next to the router temporarily and connecting the PC directly to the router using another gigabit ethernet cable. Then you'll be able to isolate the problem more easily.

Soldato
The cable that runs upstairs is not faulty because another identical cable runs along side it into my WAP upstairs with no problem (WAP gets full speed). So what is the problem, is it a software problem on my PC, could my wall port in my room be faulty, somebody help please, thanks.

What if you plug your PC into the cable your WAP is in, do you get 1Gb? If so check the cable with cable tester to make sure all pairs are working, as gig needs two more pairs than 100mb

Permabanned
For a start you have posted in the wrong forum channel, should be really in;
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/networks-internet-connectivity.6/

Secondly, welcome to the forums.

Thirdly, if you are connecting at about 450 from the router to exchange the issue is with your internal network. Is the router a 10/100/1000 router and not a 10/100? Replace the cable with a shorter one to test, take the laptop/pc to where the router is as close as you can.

If you think it's the wall port then re-punch down the connections (if you know how to do this) and test another device on this cable connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom