Control

HeX

HeX

Soldato
So the OneX is the only current gen console of delivering 30fps (@ 1440p no less). It's most certainly time for a new gen!

i can't wait until we see the back of 30fps targets. This day and age it should be 60fps.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if next gen hits 60fps most of the time, I reckon devs will more likely aim for 4K first and without a heap of optimisation that'll probably mean a 30fps target. Hope to be proven wrong and right now even a solid 30fps would be an improvement in many games.

Soldato
Plays great on my X. Not far in but really enjoying so far, it has some great physics and partial effects. Wish you could turn of the motion blur as it’s a bit excessive tbh....

Soldato
About 25 hours in now.
With all the side quest stuff, extra bosses, OoP's/Altered items to track down, executive alerts and such, I think there's lots more to it if you're willing to put the time in :)

Some of those bosses can **** right off though.
Hahah
Cannot beat the Anchor for the life of me (always struggle with multiple flying enemies), and esseJ seems beatable, I just need to relax and not freak out in the heat of battle.

GREAT GAME !! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be surprised if next gen hits 60fps most of the time, I reckon devs will more likely aim for 4K first and without a heap of optimisation that'll probably mean a 30fps target. Hope to be proven wrong and right now even a solid 30fps would be an improvement in many games.

30fps is fine in games designed specifically for it and non first person shooter. As long as it is a consistent 30fps with consistent frametimes, it isn't a huge issue.

Soldato
OP
Cannot beat the Anchor for the life of me (always struggle with multiple flying enemies)

Just in case you're still struggling, I eventually found that you're better off not engaging them and just keep moving, they'll get taken out pretty quickly by the Anchor's attacks and you can then hoover up the health they drop.

I agree with you though. I'm finding the boss fights really annoying, far too much trial and error involved, and the awful checkpoint system that just throws you back to the nearest control point doesn't help. They are by far the least enjoyable part of the game for me.

The rest however, is great. Once you get Levitate the areas really open up and you can start exploring for hidden areas which are great for boosting your ability points and finding more collectible documents etc that expand the story and give information about other items. As I said before, I'm baffled that this was being called a short game, it simply isn't and I assume it's only come about because reviewers (or worse, YouTubers) have just followed the path of least resistance to get to the end credits.

Also the map is the worst implementation of one I've seen in any game in at least the past 10 years. There's no sense of layers (so you can't tell if a room or area is above or below), you can't zoom, you can't leave a marker, and it doesn't show you locked/unlocked doors or other inaccessible areas. It's such a frustrating thing because it makes backtracking to find a previously locked door or inaccessible area so much harder, and you end up having to run around until you recognise the place rather than being able to pinpoint it, all while getting sprung-upon by respawning enemies.

Soldato
Yeah, I've beaten the game and done all the bosses now :)
Only 1 trophy away from Platimum too. Yay !!
But yeah, Anchor was a bit easier after completely filling my skill tree and becoming a telekinetic badass :D
(I'm also quite the crackshot using the Pierce gun now too, which helps)

Its amazing that even after about 30 hours of gameplay, I was still finding new little nooks and crannies with stuff in while floating about.

I agree about the map though.
For my first hour of playing the game, I thought I was using it wrong or something. It's about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
But then I twigged.... just use it to get a general idea of which compass direction you should be headed, and just follow the in-game signage instead. MUCH better.
But as you say, it could certainly do with indicating a bunch of other stuff too.

Soldato
Phew....
Done!
Sad now, dunno what to play next :(

ghjghjgh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I finished it last night, quite an easy platinum too I'd say (making it my second one ever), wasn't anything too taxing or specific and I only had to do a few more Board Countermeasures after I wrapped up the story to get it.

I think I was pretty thorough in my playthrough so there doesn't seem to be anything left for me to do or get. Worth mentioning that you can go and speak to some of the characters one last time and get some more dialogue from them, plus Jesse narrates to herself when you return to certain major areas, if you like that sort of thing.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the DLC; apparently the jukebox in Central Executive is related to some kind of new mode they're adding in one of the next updates, and the second of the paid DLC packs is hinting at some kind of Alan Wake tie-in. Not entirely surprising, if you're quite thorough at exploring the map. :)

Soldato
Also the map is the worst implementation of one I've seen in any game in at least the past 10 years. There's no sense of layers (so you can't tell if a room or area is above or below), you can't zoom, you can't leave a marker, and it doesn't show you locked/unlocked doors or other inaccessible areas. It's such a frustrating thing because it makes backtracking to find a previously locked door or inaccessible area so much harder, and you end up having to run around until you recognise the place rather than being able to pinpoint it, all while getting sprung-upon by respawning enemies.

This was part of why I couldn't be bothered with the game, that and the combat just seemed so shallow, there was no tactics from the AI, they just swarm you in a straight line. I found the story interesting but not enough to keep me playing. I don't get much gaming time so tend to be quite picky and this just didn't grab me.

Soldato
OP
8c9YdAT.png

New DLC out today on PS4:

The Astral Plane is colliding with our reality. Jesse Faden, as the Director of the Federal Bureau of Control, must travel through the caverns of the Foundation to prevent the Astral Plane from consuming the Oldest House. The missing Head of Operations, Helen Marshall, may hold some answers to the mysteries surrounding this threat. As she travels deeper, Jesse will learn more about Marshall's disappearance, and the enigmatic Board.

Soldato
OP
Anyone else been playing the Foundation DLC? It's decent enough, I'm finding the "boss" fights absolutely brutal and very unforgiving though, and the terrible checkpointing system makes them even more frustrating.

Soldato
Not there yet, bought the game recently on PC during a sale and snagged the SP as well so I'll get to it:p

I'm around halfway through but this has to be one of the most unique settings for a game ever, so much potential here. I'm finding lots of cool stuff so I hope it won't let up till the end as it starts a bit slow. Digging the metroidvania design.

One thing that also caught my attention is that the destruction and physics on PC are bloody ****ing incredible, as are ray-traced reflections, but destruction takes the cake.

Soldato
OP
Not there yet, bought the game recently on PC during a sale and snagged the SP as well so I'll get to it:p

I'm around halfway through but this has to be one of the most unique settings for a game ever, so much potential here. I'm finding lots of cool stuff so I hope it won't let up till the end as it starts a bit slow. Digging the metroidvania design.

One thing that also caught my attention is that the destruction and physics on PC are bloody ****ing incredible, as are ray-traced reflections, but destruction takes the cake.

I adored the full game, poured hours and hours into it and was more than happy to be absorbed into the world and explore everything.

The DLC...not so much. The main environment feels very repetitive after a while and I'm just not enjoying the difficulty spikes and the penalties incurred for dying. It's great being back in this world again but I've now got three boss fights I simply can't seem to complete.

Back
Top Bottom