Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
So, we are buying a house yay!
I need to sell my car to make up some funds to get it all sorted.

So that means that my SV will be my steed whenever I can't use my partners car...
She has been somewhat sat for a good 4 months in a garage with no cover and she looks a bit dirty.

Now she needs a service, valves checked, and I have a bit of CCT rattle so might as well get that replaced along with a new chain and sprockets. Roughly, how much would I be looking at to take her to a garage and have the work done do you think?
Congratulations on the house!

At a very rough guess you'll be looking at at least £500.
Service is normally £150-200, valve check is £200ish then I'd say at least £100 for the cct.

Edit: missed the chain and sprockets that's another £200ish

Last edited:
Soldato
Now she needs a service, valves checked, and I have a bit of CCT rattle so might as well get that replaced along with a new chain and sprockets. Roughly, how much would I be looking at to take her to a garage and have the work done do you think?

You able to do any of this yourself? Basic service on an SV is pretty easy. Just change the oil filter (about £7) and replace the oil (about £25).

How many miles has it done? Unless you've been asbolutely ragging it, like track days galore, probably find that the valves are fine. I checked mine once and once only at about 30k and they were fine. SV is a relatively low tuned bike. Apparently if they start to go they'll go early, say up to 20k, might need a small adjustment again at 30k, but from what I have read some basically never need adjusting. The CCT though I have never done, so I don't know about that.

Chain and sprockets, for a decent one you are looking about £100-£120, go DID or good brand, and go rivet type, do not get the link type. Decent rivet tool, about £40, do you have a paddock or a centre stand?

Even if you have to buy a paddock stand (which are handy things to have anyway) you'll save yourself a ton of money and give yourself something to do on a sunny afternoon with a beer and the radio on?

EDIT: Oh air filter, forget that, still pretty cheap about £20 for that one, easy to replace.

Soldato
Congratulations on the house!

At a very rough guess you'll be looking at at least £500.
Service is normally £150-200, valve check is £200ish then I'd say at least £100 for the cct.

Edit: missed the chain and sprockets that's another £200ish

I ended up having to move her yesyerday due to a load of travellers setting up opposite the garage which wasn't particulay well secured. Keep in mind she hasn't been started for 4 months.
Took a while to start, sounded rough until she warmed up - after that she rode fine - thankfully.

You able to do any of this yourself? Basic service on an SV is pretty easy. Just change the oil filter (about £7) and replace the oil (about £25).

How many miles has it done? Unless you've been asbolutely ragging it, like track days galore, probably find that the valves are fine. I checked mine once and once only at about 30k and they were fine. SV is a relatively low tuned bike. Apparently if they start to go they'll go early, say up to 20k, might need a small adjustment again at 30k, but from what I have read some basically never need adjusting. The CCT though I have never done, so I don't know about that.

Chain and sprockets, for a decent one you are looking about £100-£120, go DID or good brand, and go rivet type, do not get the link type. Decent rivet tool, about £40, do you have a paddock or a centre stand?

Even if you have to buy a paddock stand (which are handy things to have anyway) you'll save yourself a ton of money and give yourself something to do on a sunny afternoon with a beer and the radio on?

EDIT: Oh air filter, forget that, still pretty cheap about £20 for that one, easy to replace.

The oil/filter and air filter I can do myself with no problem. Done those before.
The chain and sprockets, how hard is that to do? Never really looked into it, i'll get a DID gold chain and sprokets which is around £140 in total.

It is the CCT I'm, worried about, she has done 18k miles in total.
There seems to be a lot of noise from the front end around 4k rpm, higher it seems to go away. But it seems louder when moving, I need to check the main chain actually to see if it's too loose or not.

Man of Honour
Chain and sprockets is really easy if you've got an impact gun, you can get a cheap £20 job from Amazon which will work fine.

It's one of the first jobs I ever done on my SV and I've done it 4 or 5 times now with no dramas.

Soldato
Yea chain and sprockets is pretty easy, I never used an impact gun before I bought a rivet tool, not saying it's better than using an impact gun though.

You'll need some kind of paddock/ABBA stand though unless you already have a centre stand???

But Google/YouTube how to do it, top tip, rather than measuring the spacers are the back, just turn each nut on each side exactly the same amount and it'll keep your back wheel straight (assuming it's straight in the first place!!!).

Man of Honour
Yea chain and sprockets is pretty easy, I never used an impact gun before I bought a rivet tool, not saying it's better than using an impact gun though.

You'll need some kind of paddock/ABBA stand though unless you already have a centre stand???

But Google/YouTube how to do it, top tip, rather than measuring the spacers are the back, just turn each nut on each side exactly the same amount and it'll keep your back wheel straight (assuming it's straight in the first place!!!).
If you're using an impact gun in place of a chain riveter then somethings gone very wrong :D
The impact gun is for getting the nut off the front sprocket which can be a right pain on the SV

Soldato
If you're using an impact gun in place of a chain riveter then somethings gone very wrong :D
The impact gun is for getting the nut off the front sprocket which can be a right pain on the SV

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes in fact I remember last time, I have a 4ft? Breaker which I was literally hanging off with the father in law holding the bike.

Had to take a blow torch to the nut to try and heat it, took bloody ages.

When it went it went with a crack.

I can now see the importance of the impact gun :)

Man of Honour
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes in fact I remember last time, I have a 4ft? Breaker which I was literally hanging off with the father in law holding the bike.

Had to take a blow torch to the nut to try and heat it, took bloody ages.

When it went it went with a crack.

I can now see the importance of the impact gun :)

I lifted a B-King trying to get the front sprocket nut undone! I gave up and took it to a garage.

Soldato
Really tempted to pick up a ktm 390 duke for commuting. Last bike was an r1200r so it’d be a bit of a step down but they’re cheap, get great mpg and look like fun in the twisties.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Holy crap are you still alive :eek:

Welcome back dude :cool:
Hello, I'm alive.

Been into drifting scene for nearly a year, than my time was consumed by my project car. On top of that work and other 'fun' stuff...

If you hadn't been a fanny and left the Whatsapp group, you'd have seen he hasn't gone anywhere.
That too, been sending a message ever few weeks on the chat.

Maybe he didn't appreciate your obsession with ladyboys.
lol...

Been doing a bit of digging and there seems to be a fair few issues with them, started going round in circles now and don’t know what to do!
It's KTM, what did you expect... They're made in India. :p

No one else has left so it can't be an issue :p
:D

Back
Top Bottom