Upgrading from i2600k - How does this look?

Associate
I built my system in 2011 and have only updated the ram to 16gb and the graphics card since. It's served me very well but I feel it is time for an upgrade. How does this spec look for a good bang for buck system? I will be mainly gaming (at 2560x1080) but also editing photo's and video's, so I though the Ryzen platform would serve me well (and be up-gradable in the future).

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Some AIO 120mm cooler?
Mobo: MSI Tomahawk MAX B450 ATX
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 2x8gb 3200mhz 16-20-20-38
HD: Samsung 860 SSD 500GB? (plus my current Raid 1 traditional Hard drives for storage)
Graphics Card: XFX RX 580 8GB @ 1425 / 8100 (from current system)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625w (from current system)
Case: NZXT Tempest (from current system)

Is it worth going for a m.2 nvme drive instead of the Samsung 860 Sata SSD?

I wanted to get a AIO 120mm cooler to reduce the number of fans in my case (currently there are 8!), I won't be overclocking the 3600 as it doesn't seem worth it. Which cheap AIO 120mm cooler is decent and quiet?

Soldato
CPU Cooler: Some AIO 120mm cooler? (the Scythe Mugen will cost you £43 for performance parity, quieter solution and less points of failure - Mugen 5.)
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz - tighter timings, same price and will clock to 3600MHz if desired.
HD: Samsung 860 SSD 500GB? (Team Group / Crucial MX 500 will save you some money for same performance)
Graphics Card: XFX RX 580 8GB @ 1425 / 8100 (from current system)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z (is this needed? Big expense in relation to the rest of your budget. Could get a 1TB NVMe drive for ~£120 (sub out SSD) if not a necessity)
PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625w (Decent PSU - but nearly 10 years old?)
Case: NZXT Tempest (from current system)

Soldato
CPU Cooler: Some AIO 120mm cooler? (the Scythe Mugen will cost you £43 for performance parity, quieter solution and less points of failure - Mugen 5.)
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz - tighter timings, same price and will clock to 3600MHz if desired.

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z (is this needed? Big expense in relation to the rest of your budget. Could get a 1TB NVMe drive for ~£120 (sub out SSD) if not a necessity)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £220.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

better audio then b450 and most boards. also better designed board should be able to handle 3600hz overclock with ease - even plug and play with 3600hz kit if you dont want to overclock ram
also get £30 steam voucher with review :)

more saving with cooler , 170w tdp
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link, I guess that AIO coolers are actually not that quiet? I'm happy to go air and just run 1 fan instead of 2 that I have at the moment.

Cheers for this, didn't spot these had better timings than the Corsair.

HD
: Samsung 860 SSD 500GB? (Team Group / Crucial MX 500 will save you some money for same performance)
My last 2 SSD's have been Samsung and been spot on, so I was sticking with what I know. I guess the limitation is sata 3 these days, hence wondering about NVMe drives.

Sound Card
: Creative Sound Blaster Z (is this needed? Big expense in relation to the rest of your budget. Could get a 1TB NVMe drive for ~£120 (sub out SSD) if not a necessity)
I was planning on picking up a second hand one for around £25, it's to go with my HyperX Cloud II gaming headphones.

PSU
: Enermax Modu82+ 625w (Decent PSU - but nearly 10 years old?)
Yep, but as the saying goes, if it aint broke... I am presuming that the connections are still the same for the mobo?

Soldato
Since you're not going to be overclocking, just go with the Ryzen's included cooler to start with and only buy a better one if you find it lacking. And don't bother with a new SSD - just transfer the old one over.

BTW if you're anal about noise (like me), you should consider the Nofan CR-95C which is more than enough to cool the Ryzen 3600.

I've actually switched to a Dark Rock Pro because of issues with GPU fans (long story).

Associate
OP
Total: £220.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

better audio then b450 and most boards. also better designed board should be able to handle 3600hz overclock with ease - even plug and play with 3600hz kit if you dont want to overclock ram
also get £30 steam voucher with review :)

more saving with cooler , 170w tdp
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html

That board is nice but more than I wanted to spend on a mobo. The cooler looks decent, I will check it out.

Associate
OP
Since you're not going to be overclocking, just go with the Ryzen's included cooler to start with and only buy a better one if you find it lacking. And don't bother with a new SSD - just transfer the old one over.

BTW if you're anal about noise (like me), you should consider the Nofan CR-95C which is more than enough to cool the Ryzen 3600.

I've actually switched to a Dark Rock Pro because of issues with GPU fans (long story).

That's not a bad shout actually, no harm in trying it I guess and buying another cooler if it is too loud. My PC isn't that quiet tbh once the graphics card fan gets going. I need to get a larger SSD to be able to save all my game installs on it, my current 250gb isn't big enough.

Associate
OP
Reducing noise will just be a bonus really. It's already under the desk.

I've been looking at the Adata xpg sx8200 pro 512gb drive, it seems good for the same price as the Samsung 860 500gb SSD. I'm so behind with the pc tech these days, all these new things to read up on.

Soldato
That's not a bad shout actually, no harm in trying it I guess and buying another cooler if it is too loud. My PC isn't that quiet tbh once the graphics card fan gets going. I need to get a larger SSD to be able to save all my game installs on it, my current 250gb isn't big enough.

Just get a Scythe Mugen 5 for £40 odd, or even an Arctic Freezer 34 esports for £30. That will be silent and have better cooling power for future upgrades.

Soldato
Reducing noise will just be a bonus really. It's already under the desk.

I've been looking at the Adata xpg sx8200 pro 512gb drive, it seems good for the same price as the Samsung 860 500gb SSD. I'm so behind with the pc tech these days, all these new things to read up on.

The SX8200 Pro is a good SSD. As mentioned above the Sabrent Rocket is also pretty cheap. You also have the Corsair MP510.

Soldato
The only advice I have to offer is, despite the ‘ain’t broke don’t fix it’ saying, when PSUs fail they usually take stuff with them. 10 years is a long time in consumer electronics, it’s certainly something I’d consider replacing.

Associate
OP
I will check out those other drives, thanks for the suggestions.

The only advice I have to offer is, despite the ‘ain’t broke don’t fix it’ saying, when PSUs fail they usually take stuff with them. 10 years is a long time in consumer electronics, it’s certainly something I’d consider replacing.

That is a very good point, dam I wasn't planning on that in this build. Any recommendations for a part/fully modular PSU? I guess something around 600w would be suitable if I'm not ocing the cpu and only ever running 1 graphics card?

Associate
I will check out those other drives, thanks for the suggestions.

That is a very good point, dam I wasn't planning on that in this build. Any recommendations for a part/fully modular PSU? I guess something around 600w would be suitable if I'm not ocing the cpu and only ever running 1 graphics card?

The guys @orbitalwalsh and @Plec etc recommended me this one when I was pricing up my build and its back in stock if you hurry. :)

Total: £85.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Back
Top Bottom