Anyone stocking up on canned food etc.. Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Can you show show me the exact wording?
Genuinely interested in the assessment that was published and you are referencing.

Is it the debunked leaked yellowhammer report?

Debunked how? That its totally made up? If you mean the fact it dates back 4 weeks that doesnt matter. Or are you also going to ignore the major supermarkets last week saying they need to be able to talk to each othewr to arrange which trucks deliver to which supermarket as worst case, they wont be able to deliver everywhere and it would be better if the govt decided which rural areas get which shipments of food?

Transmission breaker
Don
I forget. Whose turn is it answer this bit of total ignorance?

I have to say, it's what came into my head as a possible parallel for the whole thing.

Huge amounts of hype, and ultimately nothing all that serious will really happen :D

If it's been covered so many times, feel free to copy paste your wisdom in response?

Transmission breaker
Don
Debunked how? That its totally made up? If you mean the fact it dates back 4 weeks that doesnt matter. Or are you also going to ignore the major supermarkets last week saying they need to be able to talk to each othewr to arrange which trucks deliver to which supermarket as worst case, they wont be able to deliver everywhere and it would be better if the govt decided which rural areas get which shipments of food?

It was a "worst case scenario no deal" thought exercise.
Something that is common when planning for anything.
If you imagine the worst possible, you can be sure you have everything covered in whatever case does happen.

"Operation Yellowhammer was based on worst-case scenario assumptions - delays at the border over a six-month period, increased immigration checks at EU border posts, reduction in choice and availability of food, and potential price increases for utilities, food and fuel."

The fact is that when you imagine the worst scenarios, people can put plans in place to mitigate them.. Exactly what the supermarkets are doing if what you say is accurate :)

Caporegime
I have to say, it's what came into my head as a possible parallel for the whole thing.

Huge amounts of hype, and ultimately nothing all that serious will really happen :D

If it's been covered so many times, feel free to copy paste your wisdom in response?

The reason there wasnt that much that went wrong is that huge amounts of hours and billions of pounds for several years was put into averting most of the worst affects. Still 9 nucclear power stations round the world unexpectedly shut down plus other things as follows

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000RSP

Difference with Brexit is that we arent prepared and its not as easy to test scenarios (Y2K bug you just set the system to that date). Even the UK test of lorries being held up at the ports only got 90 trucks when they expected 600 which would still only be a fraction of the actual numbers. We have only really being preparing for a month now and we have the most incompetent and inept people in charge of it.

There are lots of other sites documenting the issues. But yeah, most none informed people say "what was all the fuss about?" when in fact, if all the hard work hadnt been done, there would have been lots of major things going wrong.

Commissario
The reason there wasnt that much that went wrong is that huge amounts of hours and billions of pounds for several years was put into averting most of the worst affects. Still 9 nucclear power stations round the world unexpectedly shut down plus other things as follows

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000RSP

Difference with Brexit is that we arent prepared and its not as easy to test scenarios (Y2K bug you just set the system to that date). Even the UK test of lorries being held up at the ports only got 90 trucks when they expected 600 which would still only be a fraction of the actual numbers. We have only really being preparing for a month now and we have the most incompetent and inept people in charge of it.

There are lots of other sites documenting the issues. But yeah, most none informed people say "what was all the fuss about?" when in fact, if all the hard work hadnt been done, there would have been lots of major things going wrong.
I'm amazed anyone on a tech forum is daft enough to bring up the y2k bug as a "scare" when the reason things didn't go wrong was because everyone in the industry took it seriously and spent a decade+, billions of pounds and god only knows how many millions of man hours checking for things that might be affected, working on fixes, and then testing the fixes.

I remember several of my old devices failing y2k tests, I remember one of our computers (that I'd handed down to my nephew) had an issue because it was 10+ years old, the only reason it wasn't a problem was because my nephew was only using it for some basic games ;) (whilst some of the software and embedded systems in industry and banking were probably 20+ years old and countless companies used stuff that was based on 30-40 year old systems because they were known to be reliable in normal use).

Transmission breaker
Don
I think the reason the millennium bug is used as parallel as it was so massively hyped (rightly so) and yes lots of works was done (office space anyone?) Which negated most of the risks. Public perception however was that of a non-event.
The fact is this occurrence is not such a "binary" work/fail scenario.
It is far more about human controlled factors, and as such less likely to be such a fail/work outcome.
Its is far more likely to contain some grey areas and allowances to negate the worst potential issues.

Both sides have more invested in making this work as best as possible.

I suggest perhaps this thread is straying toward becoming off topic and straying into territory that will see it closed as a duplicate of the SC Brexit thread. So I think we should leave it at that, and let the preppers get on with their planning for stockpiling in here :D

Soldato
I'm amazed anyone on a tech forum is daft enough to bring up the y2k bug as a "scare" when the reason things didn't go wrong was because everyone in the industry took it seriously and spent a decade+, billions of pounds and god only knows how many millions of man hours checking for things that might be affected, working on fixes, and then testing the fixes.
+1

And the same thing will happen if we leave without a deal on 31st October and the sky doesn’t fall in.

The difference is, a no-deal Brexit is a self-inflicted cluster fudge that really shouldn’t require millions of pounds and man-hours to mitigate.

It’s like the people who say “we didn’t have an economic meltdown after the referendum, despite what ‘project fear’ said would happen”; completely ignoring the fall in the value of the pound and the vast sums of quantitative easing (and similar mechanisms) that were pumped into the system to mitigate the worst effects of the result.

Associate
I know for a fact that 3M would have gone bust in Europe without the Y2K fixes as I sat next to the team working on it. Entire finance system would have failed (and did in the tests).

Associate
The reason the Millennium bug had so little impact is because people like me (early in my IT career) were running around for a year or so before upgrading everything, either bios/firmware or new builds.
We did get a lot of sales for new kit that replace 16 or 20 year old ancient xt crap that would still be in place today due to the tight ass nature of there management - the MB was wonderful for removing that crap.

Same with this nonsense about hording food and medicine, total and utter nonsense. But some will stand to make a packet out of other folks misguided fears.

Soldato
Same with this nonsense about hording food and medicine, total and utter nonsense. But some will stand to make a packet out of other folks misguided fears.
Problem is it may become like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The press will pump this nonsense and guess what? We'll have food shortages because idiots have gone out and panic bought everything, not because there's a supply problem.
I'm not a fan of Brexit but I won't be stocking up. I really hope I don't read about some pro-Brexit people panic buying/stocking up tho.

Soldato
Water Shortages? Are they actually expecting brexit to affect the weather? And we’ve been stockpiling the necessary for chemicals for months and should have plenty to cover any short term reduction in supply.

Brexit will effect EVERYTHING. Including weather and solar activity.

Soldato
All the hysteria reminds me a bit of the "millennium bug" back in '99 :D

OMG!!!!.....nothing happened.
I know for a fact that 3M would have gone bust in Europe without the Y2K fixes as I sat next to the team working on it. Entire finance system would have failed (and did in the tests).

NEC spent a small fortune getting Y2K bug fixes put into everything they made. From what my Japanese colleagues told me over a few beers one evening, every Japanese company and institution tested for it and patched it out of existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom